Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you like kale chips...

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 15:39

Then you will love kale nachos! I just finished off 2 bunches of kale in one sitting.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you like kale chips...

Please share how you made this. We have been buying & eating alot of kale. And we love nachos!

o

Oh yum.

o

I like to massage my kale with olive oil, nutritional yeast and salt and bake it at 400 for 6-8 minutes, being careful not to burn it (happens easily, so if it's not quite done I check every 30 seconds.) The nooch gives it a healthy cheesiness. The trick is to have everything chopped and ready to go so that your kale stays warm. I like to heat the beans in the microwave, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kale Nachos

o

That looks so good. I'm going to vegan-ize the chipotle sauce!

o

Nice blog :) Thank you!!

I need to read more about the nutritional yeast. What else do you do with it? Is is really a substitute for Parmesan cheese?

o

Chi, I would love to hear how you do that. I haven't had much luck veganizing my recipes, otherwise they all would be. Mago, nutritional yeast does have a cheesey flavor that's similar to parmesan. I'm not usually big on it because I love fresh parmesan above all else, but it works so well on kale chips and is healthier, too.

o

Jenny, I think it would be a pretty easy conversion. Just sub Vegenaise for the mayo/sour cream, and use an unsweetened non-dairy milk. I'll probably use rice milk. Everything else would stay the same. Maybe a tad more lemon juice to offset the missing sour cream. You should try it since you know what the original tastes like. :)

They have a vegan sour cream but I don't think it tastes good and it has some funky ingredients. Vegenaise is good!

I like nutritional yeast in vegan queso. It also helps with B12.

o

How do you keep the chips from breaking under the weight of the toppings? My kale chips are always fragile.

o

bbstx, they do break. This was a fork and knife meal for me. But I'm used to eating them with a fork anyways, as I usually eat them with chunky salsa.

o

Chi, thank you for answering. I have heard good things about Vegenaise, will have to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here