Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crock Pot Pulled Pork

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 15:31

We are hosting a Super Bowl party tomorrow and I want to serve pulled pork two ways. With slaw on small slider buns and in small tortillas with sour cream, jalapenos and cheese.

Problem is I don't have a smoker or a heavy weight casserole available to me...just a crock pot.

Anyone have a good crock pot recipe for pulled pork?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crock Pot Pulled Pork

I do this a lot now that I am back to work full time. I like pork shoulder, trim the big hunks of fat, leave the little ones. If it is boneless, cut the strings off and rub a good dry rub BBQ seasoning blend all over it. Inside, outside, everywhere and dump an extra tablespoon or two in for good mesure. Put a couple of sliced onions on the bottom of the crock pot, dump in 1/2 bottle of beer (your choice) and lay the pork over it. Cook on low for 8 hours or so, if you need to speed it up, I put it on high for an hour then turn it down for another 4 - 5 hours until you can pull it. Longer is better if you can manage the time.

If you need a good dry rub, this is what I use:

3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Have fun!

Alexa

o

Sharon, here is the one I use. I found it on Tasty Kitchen a few years ago and it has become our favorite! I use about 3-1/2 lb of pork, tho. There is enough sauce for that extra half pound.

Crock Pot Pulled Pork And Coleslaw Sandwiches
From Tastykitchen submitted by Mrswilliams

FOR THE PULLED PORK:
1/2 cups Ketchup
1/3 cups Cider Vinegar
1/3 cups Packed Brown Sugar
6 ounces, weight Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
1-1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Onion Powder (didn�t have, subbed 1/2 small onion,minced)
3 pounds Pork Sirloin Roast, Cut Into 3 Pieces
1 package Sandwich Rolls/hamburger Buns

FOR THE COLE SLAW:
1 bag (14 Oz. Bag) Cole Slaw Mix (shredded my own fresh cabbage and carrot)
1/2 cups Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/4 cups Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
1/4 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoons Celery Seed
1 teaspoon Onion Powder (didn�t have-subbed 1/2 small onion, minced)

PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
For the pulled pork: mix together ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, salt, and onion powder in a crock pot. Add pork and turn pieces to coat with sauce. Cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once done, shred pork and stir to completely incorporate in the sauce.
For the cole slaw: mix coleslaw mix, mayo, canola oil, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, celery seed, and onion powder well in a large bowl. Cover and let chill for 1-2 hours.
Once pork is done and cole slaw is chilled, make sandwiches! Put some pork on your bun and top with cole slaw. Enjoy!

Linda

o

I also do pulled pork in the crockpot when the weather is too cold or I don't have time to fuss with the smoker. I use this recipe from Food Network, I used to just cook the pork with a can of root beer, some onions, salt and pepper, the girls loved it. Elery likes it spicier, so I use this now.

Spicy Pulled Crockpot Pork

3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons hot paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 3-to-4-pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
3 tablespoons tomato paste
6 potato buns
Barbecue sauce and prepared coleslaw, for serving
Directions

Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the pork and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 5 minutes. Remove the pork and transfer to a plate; whisk 3/4 cup water into the drippings in the skillet. Transfer the liquid to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.

Add the vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 cups water to the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the pork, cover and cook on low, 8 hours.

Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board. Strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Roughly chop the pork and mix in a bowl with 1 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, and salt and vinegar to taste. Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.

Have fun!

Annie

o

Here is a recipe for Beef, but I have used pork to make it Italian Pork.

One time I didnt have the Italian dressing mix, so added some dry beef boullion instead.

Have also used pork and beef together.

Served this to our pastor and family once, they now make it often on Sunday's lunch. They now call it 'Trudy's Buns'!
Imagine our pastor and family saying this makes me laugh!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Beef

o

I have a nice pork butt I'm going to stick in the crockpot too tomorrow. One thing I highly suggest, no matter what else you put on it, stuff it with slivers of garlic all over the place. We do that whether we're just going to make the pork with a gravy to serve over rice or if we put my bbq sauce on it to pull. I just cut slits and shove the garlic in, then I'll brown it and put it in the crock. I'll decide when I do it where we'll go from there. I think Christy is leaning toward pork and gravy over rice, in which case after the browning I'll cover with some broth and let it do it's thing.

o

This is super easy. My family loves it.
Pork shoulder or pork tenderloin
seasoning of your choice
a can of ginger ale or Dr.Pepper
1/2 cup vinegar
cook in slow cooker until tender.
shred the pork and add desired amount of favorite BBQ sauce and some of the juices from cooking

o

DH's favorite recipe. We have it about once a month in the winter time.

Coll's Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 8-10 hours
Yields: 8-12 cups or 16-24 sandwiches

4-6# boneless pork shoulder-blade roast cut into 4 pieces, fat removed
1/4 C water
1 medium onion - coursely chopped
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C light (mild) molasses
2 T sweet paprika
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 t red ground (cayene) pepper
1 t finely ground black pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t liquid smoke flavoring (opt)

Combine all ingredients, except pork.
In a 4-5+ quart crockpot, place the pork pieces, pour sauce over to coat.

Cover and cook with lid on for 8-10 hours until pork is very tender and falling apart. *Can cook overnight.

Transfer pork to a large bowl or platter, cool and pull apart with fingers or forks.
Place pork back into the sauce.

Serve on soft buns and smother with a scoop of creamy cole slaw for true Southern Style pulled pork samiches.

o

Chase, so how did your pulled pork turn out?

o

It turned out very well ! As did the party if my butt dragging is any judge!

I used Alexa's rub and Linda's sauce......I served it two ways, as mini soft tacos and sliders .

They were a big hit

Thanks everyone..........

o

Butt dragging is usually a sign of a successful bash, Sharon!

I think I'll try the rub next time I make that pulled pork recipe. I bet it would take it right over the top!

Linda

o

I made some pulled pork today with Alexa's rub, Linda's sauce and Annie's method- it is delish and DH is a very happy man :-) and the house smells great :-D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here