Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tyler Florence's fried chicken

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 15:26

Tyler Florence lives in the SF Bay Area and his restaurants are very successful. Wayfare Tavern is famed for its fried chicken, and he's finally given up the recipe. Interestingly, he bakes it low and slow, **then** fries it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyler Florence's fried chicken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tyler Florence's fried chicken

That looks like a very amazing chicken recipe.

"Low & Slow" obviously will give the chicken unbelievable juicy texture, to go with the complex seasonings.

I see the recipe calls for 160 F internal. I would go to 150 for myself. 160 F is still tender. The problem with 150 F is you will see pink.

dcarch

o

Do you think it would suffer if the sugar were omitted?

o

It's only 1 teaspoon of sugar for two chickens.

o

>>I see the recipe calls for 160 F internal. I would go to 150 for myself. 160 F is still tender. The problem with 150 F is you will see pink. >>

Well...for those who haven't read the whole recipe, it's slow-roasted to 150F, then marinated for an hour, floured, and deep-fried to 160F. I think the marinating will take care of any potential overcooking; it's going to add a fair amount of moisture back in.

This is somewhat similar to the superb Braised Short Rib recipe from “Craft of Cooking” by Tom Colicchio. I've been making short ribs for decades, but once I tasted these, I threw all my other short rib recipes out. I used a modification of his short rib recipe to make a homemade nacho dish that was the hit of a potluck party last year.

o

OK Jkom..gonna share? I would love the short rib/ nacho recipe

o

It's going to be fried chicken tonight hahahahaha!

o

I'd like the short rib recipe too. Please.

Multi-layer cooking can be great. I sometimes do ribs with a layer process too. Braise (to cook to tender), then roast (to dry and crust), then fry (to coat w/ spice/sauce and crust some more).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here