Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you freeze orange juice?

Posted by femmelady (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 15:12

Our small local grocer currently has delicious sweet blood oranges, and I was thinking of juicing and saving some for later. Is this doable or does it ruin it?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you freeze orange juice?

Of course....my SIL in AZ does it all the time with lemon juice....why not oranges?
Lidna C

o

All the juice in Central Florida was frozen last month when the temps dropped to 29 degrees. LOL

o

Yes freeze away!
Other thoughts: Zest and dry on waxed paper, blood orange zest is so colorful.
Also third row down on this link you will see candied orange peel that is a real treat. Double click on it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.notempire.com/images/uploads/pumpkinbp1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tastespotting.com/page/94%3Freport%3D4673&h=250&w=250&sz=60&hl=en&start=69&tbnid=8rY_stmGudasVM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsauce%2Bfor%2Bbread%2Bpudding%26start%3D54%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

o

Thanks! I shall get out my juicer and buy out my grocer! I'm picturing drizzling blood orange juice (oh, that color!) over my summer fresh aqueezed margaritas! Deb thanks for the link. What a great idea!

o

I froze some orange juice some time ago and when thawed it separated, wasn't pretty. Maybe that's why frozen OJ is reconstituted with water. Drank it anyway.

o

Where I grew up there was a old-style drug store (with lunch counter) owned by a man whose brother used to bring him truckloads of oranges and lemons from FL. They would squeeze and freeze, then use the frozen to make their lemonade and orangeade the rest of the year. (And man it was deeelicccious!)

o

I freeze lots of juice from fresh picked fruits and from fruit in the store. I go apple picking every year (2 or three times) and make lots of juice from the ones that are not what I want for baking or eating out of hand. Great for recipes that call for apple juice. Orange juice would be no different.

o

When we were kids our mother made us ice pops with reconstituted frozen orange juice. i can't imagine it wouldn't also work with fresh juice. If the juice separates when it's thawed, I'd give it a quick whiz in the blender which both mixes and aerates it. That's how DW an I improved the taste of store brand frozen OJ in our early days.

o

Femmelady:
They sell frozen Orange Juice in the Markets ???
Lou

o

Lou you are too funny! Femme, if you are looking to juice for drinking, then it will take quite a few oranges to make enough juice for a glass full and that can get costly. But if using to just add to dishes or baking, etc., then you will be fine.

o

Don't know about fresh, but I always keep a 1/2 gal container or two of Tropicana OJ in the freezer (I try to pick it up when it's on sale). I take a container out to defrost (in the sink or in the fridge), and keep it in the fridge for use when it's defrosted.

o

These are BLOOD oranges! lovely lovely blood oranges - to be drizzled into summer margaritas!

o

Come to think of it, I'd probably try to make a blood orange liquor or syrup if they are that cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here