Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cookie baking question

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 15:11

It's been years since I made cookies regularly, but I'd like to make some now if I can successfully make them less sweet. Does any know how much you can reduce the sugar in cookie recipes without risking a complete failure?

Here is a sample recipe:

Nutmeg Refrigerator Cookies

1/2cup butter
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2cups a-p flour
1 egg
1/4t. cream of tartar
1/4t. salt
1/2t. ground nutmeg

Cream butter and vanilla. Mix in sugars and egg. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir well. Divide into two 2-inch rolls. Wrap in foil. Refrigerate 2 hours up to 1 week. Preheat oven to 400F. Slice 1/8 to 1/4-inch rounds. Bake 8 minutes.

Thanks for any help,
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookie baking question

I'd reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup, which would take it from 1 cup to 3/4 of a cup. The recipe has a 1:1.5 ratio of sugar to flour. I think you can safely go to 1:2.
If you want to experiment more gradually, just cut out 2 tablesooons and see if that's enough. I guess it depends on how much less sweet you want the cookies to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here