Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this cookie

Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 14:59

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while - life got really, really busy and chaotic and...and..and

Anyways, a few years ago I made these cookies and I can't find the recipe. The were a sandwich cookie with an apricot filling and some king of frosting that held the toasted coconut in place. At least that's what I think they were.

Dh wants me to make them again so if anyone knows what they are, I'd love the recipe.

They are the ones on the right of this picture, heck, if you know the recipe for the lemon ones, I'll take that too.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this cookie

loves2cook: The apricot one looks like a thumbprint cookie with apricot jam filling. I have clipped three recipes for these because i want to try them myself. One is an Ina Garten recipe that was posted by lorijean44 In a Cookalong Extra****Holiday Cookies. Another was posted by marigene in RE:LOOKING for:Christmas Cookies and are called Coconut jewels. Hope this helps-sorry I can't link. (The third recipe doesn't have coconut, which yours appears to have)

o

Thanks Lizbeth but these are definitely a filled sandwiched cookie not a thumbprint. hmmm

o

They look like the cookies my mother used to make. Sort of two butter cookies, one with the center cut out, and the hole filled with either raspberry or apricot jam. She used almond extract in the cookie dough and sprinkled a little powdered sugar over them at the end. I haven't found her old handwritten recipe, and seeing her handwriting makes me tear up, so I am not going to look right now. There are linzer cookie recipes out there that look sort of like this, but no nut meal was used in these. I will see what I can find tonight.

Do you think that is coconut on top? Mom's definitely did not contain coconut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Much like this, but not scalloped

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 17:34

o

I thought they were a linzer cookie too. I'm only through about half of my large collection of cookie cookbooks and I'll look some more this evening. I thought it looked like the same dough was used for both the scalloped sandwich cookies and the "thumbprint" ones because the thumbprint cookies have the same scalloped layer on the bottom (look carefully) as the scalloped sandwich cookie. Did anyone else notice that?

-Grainlady

o

Here is a non-you tube link. There would not have been cloves in this recipe, either. And it would probably have had Russian Jewish roots, but I am not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Written recipe

o

Sorry, loves2cook, I didn't notice the scalloped bottoms on the thumbprint looking ones till grainlady pointed it out. I will keep looking; I love puzzles and the weather is not conducive to much else!

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 21:11

o

Ilana, I've no idea what cookie recipe that could be, but I'm happy to see you here again, welcome back!

Annie

o

Thanks Annie. It's nice to be back.

I made this cookie tray as part of a sweet table and dh had one of those "apricot cookies" and wants more but of course that was a few years ago now and I have wracked my brain trying to recall where that recipe came from. I have more than 500 recipe books, plus here and the internet so I may never find it. LOL

They definitely have coconut on them, just can't remember how I made them.

o

These are the cookies of my childhood.

Found this recipe. It's in Hebrew under the title Nostalgic Cookies. If you want a translation LMK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Jam Cookies

o

This is copyrighted material from Fine Cooking. I hope the link works.

Well, it didn't. This takes you to the book. If you search within the book under "Linzer cookies," you can find Almond Shortbread Sandwich Cookies and modify with apricot and round cookie cutters. Did the original have coconut in it? I cannot really tell from the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Cooking

o

I think I managed to find a link to the Fine Cooking recipe. 2 Recipes actually. Here's the first:

Here is a link that might be useful: Almond Shortbread Sandwich Cookies

o

And here's the second:

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Linzer Cookies

o

Do you recall at what point the coconut was added?

o

I don't think they were Linzer cookies. I have a great recipe for those and would have used it if that was what I was making.

IIRC, toasted coconut just went on at the finishing stages. But there is something holding that coconut on. And now that I say that, I think they are NOT layer cookies after all but that I used the same base cookies and it maybe made marshmallow, or something similar, and piped onto the base then dipped in coconut.

o

This is the closest that I could find.

You've definitely piqued my curiosity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina Garten

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here