Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found a Great Deal - Kitchen Aid Attachments

Posted by lakemayor (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 14:51

I stopped at a garage sale this morning. I saw a box of Kitchen Aid attachments. The box looked new and the attachments inside had never been used. It included a Slicer & Shredder attachment and a Food Grinder attachment with pasta maker plates. I paid $15.00. I looked online and the two attachments were $64.99 each at the Kitchen Aid site. I think I scored big??

Does anyone have these attachements and if so do you like them.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found a Great Deal - Kitchen Aid Attachments

Wow, I would say that you scored really big. Nice find.

~Ann

o

Karen, Great find! Sounds like your garage sales are a lot better than mine. Actually, I haven't stopped at any in so long because I have never scored big.

I have only read that the attachments are great but who cares with that price!

o

The food grinder gets lots of use here. I make my own hamburger from big cuts of meat at the discount case so it is about half the price of "real" hamburger. And it does a great job of grinding chicken or lamb too. I use it for fine cut vegetables for cole slaw and such. It also works for room temp cheddar cheese to be added to white sauce. It makes short work of tomatoes intended to be made into paste.

The shredder is a pain but works for firm vegetables but not consistently shreds - some small some larger. No big deal because it still cuts cabbage and carrots the right size for MY cole slaw. (DH likes it very fine, I like it much larger.) Broccoli is just a mess. It works well for making dry bread crumbs from my homemade bread.

You did good.

Nancy

o

Wow, Karen, you did very well indeed. I use both. The slicer and grater is used mostly when canning, but I use the meat grinder when making sausage and it gets quite a bit of use. The pasta attachment I haven't had much luck with, I keep trying.

Annie

o

Thanks everyone!

Cathy, we happened to come across this sale and just stopped. They had some really nice stuff.

Annie, we have a lot of venison that my nephew brings to us. Some of the steak I just don't cook well. It is tough and dry, so I think perhaps grinding it and adding a little pork I can make burgers and use it for chili and pasta sauce. What do you think? It's very lean meat and I know it's good for us.

Karen

o

Karen, we always used to mix the venison with sausage when grinding to add fat. I don't do that any more but I really don't care for ground venison as a burger either. It does better as meatloaf or meatballs, sloppy joes, etc., mixed with another meat. Elery loves it plain, but I don't.

I also use the steak in a quick "beef and broccoli" dish, it's fast, easy and delicious. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Annie

o

Huge score! You need the grinder to work other attachment so you are set. I need to hit the garage sales more often.

o

Great find. I have the pasta attachment, and I bring it out occasionally to make home made pasta. I like it just fine. I just have to be in the mood, and have the time to make home made pasta.

We (mostly Jerry) go to estate sales more than garage sales. We've found some great buys at them. His schedule works better with the sales' schedule, as he has Thursday mornings off, and that's when many of them start. Alas, we both work Saturdays, but he frequently goes to them on his lunch hour. They are lots of fun.

Sally

o

Sally, we like the estate sales also. Don't go too often but I did find some Le Creuset pieces at one last year here in Florida. I was so excited. You never know what treasure may be lurking out there waiting to be found.

Annie, I would love the recipe. Thanks

Karen

o

Karen that was a wonderful find!
You DEFINITELY scored big!

I have drooled over those attachments for years.
Maybe one of these days I will find a bargain, too.

I used to go to a lot of garage sales, too.
But I haven't found a good bargain in years.
Estate sales are fun, too.
But here you have to get there to sign up,
at least 3 hours before they open.
And then wait in line all that time.
(That is if you're interested in the 'good stuff')
It's crazy the way some people act,
Especially dealers.
The second day is usually less crowded.

Have you tried marinating the venison steak in milk?
That's what I do, & it helps a lot.

Rusty

o

Karen, I got this from Food.com. Elery and I both love it and the venison steak works very well here. It's fast, it's good, it's relatively healthy (well, high in sodium but low in fat), it doesn't call for any unusual or hard to obtain ingredients. I make it regularly.

Beef and Broccoli

3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb boneless round steak or 1 lb charcoal chuck steaks, cut into thin 3-inch strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 small onions, cut into wedges
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
hot cooked rice

In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder until smooth. Add beef and toss.

In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef reaches desired doneness; remove and keep warm.

Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes.

Return beef to pan.

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Serve over rice.

Annie

o

Sounds great Annie, thank you. I will try that when I get home.

Rusty, I've never tried the milk trick. Have you Annie? I do think I remember that milk was used to remove some of the wild game taste but does it tenderize also?

Karen

o

What a great price. Enjoy

Remember this when you get ready to buy something expensive - your kids are going to sell it all for $1 after you die!

My sister tried to get me to buy a painting, $2500, and I pointed out that my kids would end up selling it for $25, maybe, so no, I wasn't going to spend $2500. If I have a choice, I'll buy the less expensive product. Calphalon will do just fine, no need for All-Clad.

I have a KitchenAid mixer, that my kids gave me, and I use it a lot, but I don't have any attachments. They are too expensive. Though I will keep an eye out for them at yard sales!

o

Well, you did get a good buy, but let me tell you--I got a steal! When I went to pick out cabinets for my kitchen update, they were 20% off from the manufacturer and then the place that sold them were giving another 40% off! So cabinets that should have totaled $19,000 are being sold to me at below $10,000! I couldn't believe it! They are beautiful too! Didn't want framed cabinets but couldn't pass up the price.

o

Wow, that is a steal. I may have saved $100.00 but you saved $9,000. There is no comparison! Congrats Beachlily!!!

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here