Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting cake out of bundt pan in one piece.

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 14:48

I have a fancy deeply fluted Nordic Ware non-stick bundt pan. I've always had trouble getting cakes to come out without leaving chunks or even the top third of the cake behind.

Suggestions? I normally use soft butter and dusting of flour, or the pan sprays that contain flour. I don't know if it's my greasing that's at fault, or if I should unmold while still warm, or totally cold.

I never had a problem with a regular bundt pan, just this fancy one.

Here is a link that might be useful: my

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting cake out of bundt pan in one piece.

I had the same problem until I started using Bakers & Chefs Cooking Spray (see link below), and did a thorough job of spraying it. This product does NOT leave a build-up of baked-on "gunk" on your pans, so that's a great feature.

Baker's Secret is a mixture of oil and flour you my find helpful, and there are homemade mixtures you can make.

If you are greasing it, butter isn't the best choice because it has more moisture in it than shortening or oil, and both shortening and oil can be used, and are preferred over butter. There are some suggestions to use a shortening/oil mixture, but I'm not sure the ratio of ingredients one to the other. Use a stiff pastry brush and take your time to get the fat into every nook and cranny.

I understand the flour gives the cake something to cling to when it's rising in the pan. For the fancy cake pans, do a good job of applying the fat, then place about 1/4 c. of flour in the pan (I use cocoa if it's a chocolate cake so there isn't any white flour residue on a chocolate cake.). Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and do a good job shaking the flour on the prepared surface. Turn the pan upside down onto the plastic wrap covering the opening, give the pan a few taps so any excess flour falls out of the crevasses onto the plastic wrap, and then remove the plastic wrap.

If you see there are places where it isn't coated well, give it a second coating.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Bakers & Chefs Cooking Spray

o

I never have trouble with mine sticking, but I always use shortening to grease the pan.

Grainlady: is that spray usually available locally? The shipping (7.99) is almost as much as the product (12.95) on Amazon.

o

I've been using the Better Than Pam (a homemade coating mix) for years. I never have a problem with anything sticking.
I make a lemon bundt cake regularly, and it always comes out easily.

I do put a plate over the top and invert it, which helps.
I then set it on a rack over a baking sheet and glaze it.

o

lizbeth-gardener -

I get Bakers & Chefs Baking Spray at Sam's Club.

-Grainlady

o

Just this afternoon I baked bundt cakes. I have new pans from King Arthur and I just had to use them. It was a bit hurried and that is always a mistake when baking.

I used the old long ago Rum Cake recipe, making 6 small cupcake size swirl bundts and finished the rest of the batter in a 6 cup size bundt pan. They all popped out perfect, however the 6 cup size should have baked longer, it fell somewhat after taking from oven and putting the glaze on.

I greased these pans very well with the Homemade coating recipe someone had posted on CF. Have been using it for sometime and like it so much better than PAM
and it does not leave a residue like PAM does. Thanks to whoever posted.

Homemade Coating recipe......

Blend well together: 1 cup flour and 1 cup Crisco shortening

Add in and whip well: 1 cup vegetable oil

I use 1/2 cup increments (make more often) and store in refrigerator.

shirl

o

Bak-Klene from Williams Sonoma. It's wonderful, worth the price and I order a can when they have free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: bak-kleene

o

Thanks! I don’t bake cakes often, so will save these notes with the pan. I regularly shop at Sam’s so that will be easy as long as I don’t need to buy a multi-pack.

If the cake doesn’t turn out this time it would be for another reason….I was talking on the phone with a friend while I was initially putting the ingredients in the mixmaster bowl. Then I hung up and started mixing. The batter seemed really stiff, but then I have not made this cake in at least 5 years: I thought, maybe it is just stiff. Not til it was in the oven for 20 minutes did I start to wonder…maybe I forgot the water?! It was supposed to have 1 cup. (Or I could have used the ½ cup measure, and forgot to fill it the second time) I can’t imagine that with just 4 eggs and oil I would have been able to beat it at all. Sigh....

It’s in the oven now…we’ll see.

o

I have a couple of the beautiful Nordic bundt cake pans, Since everything I bake is gluten free, regular flour is not an option. I use a GF mixture for the AP flour dusting (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch) and do the plastic wrap trick. I've used many different brands of spray and like the Wilton "Bake Easy" brand best but will try the Sam's Club brand next because it has to be cheaper than the Wilton. Be careful though to not over spray and get little rivulets of spray in the crevices - or you'll get bubble holes.
One thing that is imperative, I've found, is to make sure that the cake is absolutely room temperature. Feel the bottom of the pan. If it is even slightly warm, the cake won't come out. Experimenting has made many a new product - cake crumbs mixed with frosting and rolled into balls, dusted with powdered sugar or cocoa = crumb balls; and cake crumbs mixed with coconut milk and a bit of shredded coconut then re-baked 10 minutes in mini muffin tins = coconut cake gobs.
Nancy

o

Nancy, that's a good tip about the cake having to be room temperature.

What is the "Plastic wrap" trick?

o

I just use Bakers Joy, and remove the cake from the pan about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven, when it begins to pull away from the sides. No problems.

o

linnea, I have one of those bundt pans shaped like a castle and have some trouble with the details sticking.

I use the homemade "Pam" substitute and brush it on with a pastry brush, it's one of the few things that the silicone one I have doesn't do well, so I dig out the "real" pastry brush.

The only thing I have that I can't get the stuff out of ever is one of those tiny little "cakelet" pans all shaped like different flowers and about the size of mini muffins. I thought it would be a great thing for "tea and muffins" with the grandkids but the darned thing was such a PIA that I gave it to Ashley for finger jello, the only thing it's ever been good for!

Annie

o

I have 4 different designs in Nordic Ware bundt pans,
but not the one you show, linnea56.
I've always used Baker's Secret on them,
and have never had a problem with cakes sticking.
I honestly don't think the design itself is the culprit,
I am also inclined to think it is the butter that is causing the problem.

The "Better than Pam" homemade mix
certainly sounds like a good idea,
But I seriously doubt I would have the patience needed
to get it evenly & thoroughly brushed into all the nooks and crannies
of those 'fancy' pans.

Rusty

o

linnea56-

Plastic wrap tip from my first post.

"I understand the flour gives the cake something to cling to when it's rising in the pan. For the fancy cake pans, do a good job of applying the fat, then place about 1/4 c. of flour in the pan (I use cocoa if it's a chocolate cake so there isn't any white flour residue on a chocolate cake.). Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and do a good job shaking the flour on the prepared surface. Turn the pan upside down onto the plastic wrap covering the opening, give the pan a few taps so any excess flour falls out of the crevasses onto the plastic wrap, and then remove the plastic wrap. "

o

Williams Sonoma has free shipping right now, btw.

o

Thanks again, all!

Grainlady, somehow I missed the word "Plastic" in your earlier post, probably because Gardenweb has those highlighted underlined words that are links to ads now, and one was "plastic", and that word was light green :) I tend to skate really fast past those links, lest one jump out at me! Sorry to make you repeat.

o

linea56 - The URL here has answers to the question of getting rid of highlighted or underlined text, depending on what browser you are using.

About crevices in fancy bundt pans - I bought small/medium new artist's brushes (natural hair round ones work best), sterilized them and marked them "for food use only". It makes quick work of spreading the spray, butter, shortening, or homemade Pam and you won't get the "too much oil" problem that makes bubbles. Other sizes I use in the kitchen include a 1" wide one that looks like a paint brush for watering down the insides of pans when I make candy, jam, or something that should not have stray undissolved sugar clinging there since it might cause the food to recrystallize after cooking to high temp. Lots cheaper and better made than those sold exclusively for food prep. Tan natural bristles are best, IMO, because they can be sterilized, while nylon or poly brushes do not last long on really hot pans. Craft stores run discounts on artist's brushes every month it seems, so stock up when you see an ad.
Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Removing underlined text on pages

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here