SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

TeresaMN - about your wild rice (also calling Arley)

foodonastump
10 years ago

Being brought up in Minnesota I am very familiar with so-called Minnesota wild rice. It is a long grained dark brown rice that when cooked tastes exactly like barley. Blind folded you cannot tell the difference between it and cooked barley. It is the poorest eating rice in existence. Actually to me it tastes like mud from a pond and barley mixed together. No one ever ate it. Not one settler or Indian ever bothered with it at all as they knew it was no good for eating. We and the Indians hunted ducks in the rice beds as the wild ducks like to feed on it and that is about as far as it went. Drainage and pollution killed off most of the rice beds and when the rice began to become somewhat scarce someone decided it was good to eat because it was scarce. Immediately so-called Minnesota wild rice began to sell at nearly $2.00 or more a pound. The Indians began gathering it and men went into the rice business and began planting it. Today they do a flourishing business on so-called Minnesota wild rice and it is seeded and harvested like all other rice. The taste of Minnesota wild rice is so bad that in order to get it down you have to practically camouflage the flavor with other strong flavors. The Indians have never fallen for this modern "hokum" about Minnesota wild rice and still will not eat it if they can get other rice.

OMG, Arley, this cookbook you recommended is a trip. I'm about 10 minutes into skipping around and I realize I just need to read this one front to back!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Amazon - Arley's review is the Cliff Claven one

Comments (6)