SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Meyer's Lemons

Teresa_MN
12 years ago

I went to my Mother's house yesterday and she lives near one of those huge Walmarts. I went in to get some coffee for her. On the way to the register I passed through the produce section. They had bags of beautiful Meyer's lemons. Nine lemons to a bag for $1.98!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Of course I bought 5 bags!

I'm making preserved lemons today!

Teresa who is in Lemon Heaven!

Comments (31)

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is preserved lemons? (I know I could look it up if I wasn't so lazy.) I have a whole tree full of Meyer lemons. I did make lemon curd.
    Clare

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are brined - or salted. Morrocan preserved lemons have spices like cloves added.

They last for months in the fridge and are nice for seasoning salads and soups. I love to squeeze them over tomatoes with garbanzo beans.

There are many links out there. Here is one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserved Lemons

• Related Discussions

Fresh Cocktail Grapefruit , Sweet lemon, Meyer lemon

Q

Comments (2)
    hey there.. this is my seed list at the moment.. anything interest you?Ipomopsis Rubra-standing cypress (1-2 sm pack) Island Sea Oats (1 sm pack) Illinois Bundleflower (1 pack) Echinacea (purple) (1 pack) Brown Eyed Susans (2 pack) Larkspur (1 sm pack) Yarrow (1 sm pack) Sweet William (1 pack) Also have some yarrow, mullen, oregano plants available. Interested? I would LOVE to have some seeds.. been wanting to start some cirtus. :)
    ...See More

Finally, a Meyer Lemon! Follow -up to "finicky" Meyers

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello! Mike, JoJo! Hey, Mandarin! :-) Both Mike and JoJo are correct. I do have a variegated pink Lemon, I did re-pot in Gritty Mix, and the only problem I've had was my fault...leaving it where the deer were able to get at it :-( Now that it's indoors, it's blooming nicely. It is in a smaller terra cotta pot, though, and so I have to water about every 4 - 5 days or else the leaves begin to curl. Spider Mites are a constant issue with all of my Citrus, so I just spray them with Neem Oil + Pro-TeKt every couple of weeks (or if I see any fine webbing appear). I, too, left my pink Lemon in the nursery soil for its first season....but in November, we had a cold-snap in the upper-20F's and my Citrus took some leaf-damage. I was very unhappy with the idea of leaving the tree in the old soil for another Winter (I purchased in January and the tree struggled those first months). Then we had a storm that knocked the tree over and loosened it in the pot - so I figured it was time to re-pot, even though it was late in the season to be doing such a thing. I really like the 5-1-1 for Citrus, although it does break down sooner than true Gritty Mix. Here's a pic of my poor pink Lemon after the deer got to it. This is what I found early in the morning.
    ...See More

Meyer vs Improved-Meyer lemon

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't believe the "not improved" form would be available for sale in California. The only difference is the presence or absence of citrus tristeza virus infection. It causes no symptoms at all in the 'Meyer', so the two look and act exactly alike. The problem is that the virus can spread from an infected tree to oranges, grapefruit, and other citrus nearby (spread by aphids) if you have an infected tree. I suspect your nursery bought their trees from two sources, one of which used the term "improved" while the other did not. It used to be, and I assume still is, illegal to sell the infected form in California.
    ...See More

Why won't my Meyer lemon trees lemons change color?

Q

Comments (18)
    I have read most of these post...yet I still do not seem to see an answer for me...I have lemons, maybe a handful that have been growing for almost 10 months! and still are green as grass....Are they ripe? Can I eat them? Or do I need to just say "Hey, it will take a year and a half to get a yellow lemon?"..it is for sure a meyer lemon plant..*sigh* Oh I live in mid to north Georgia..Highs are low 90's and cools are 68ish..
    ...See More
  • diinohio
    12 years ago

Teresa, I have been meaning to start a post about Meyer lemons!

Kroger has had for the last two weeks, 1 lb.(9 lemons) bags for $1.50. We are addicted! They have different recipes on the back of each bag and our current favorite is Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake. Oh yeah, think Sol's molten lava cakes taken to the nth, but with lemons instead of chocolate!

I have four bags left. Gotta see if they have any more.

Recipes are at www.dudfresh.com

Di

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I bought ONE of those bags the other day! Meyer lemon gnocchi, salad vinaigrette, in the pork tenderloin and in the whipped cream for dessert tonight.

• diinohio
    12 years ago

That would be www.dudafresh.com

Bumblebeez, that whipped cream sounds wonderful! I'm not usually a sweets person, but lately I am.

Di

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumble - let's see that lemon gnocchi recipe please!

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information about "preserved lemons". I had never heard of it. We don't have to preserve them here because we have them all year long. Too bad none of you are in my area. I would give them to you by the bag full for free.
    Clare

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Clare - I am sorry I am not closer. My mother's sister lived in Orange County and I used to visit in the summer. They had a lemon tree and an avocado tree. I would bring hazelnuts and wild rice when I went to visit.

Teresa

• jakkom
    12 years ago

This recipe from our local paper works just as well and is a lot faster:

Preserved Lemons in One Week
    From Michael Bauer, SF Chronicle food writer

� Quarter as many lemons (preferably Meyer) as you want and freeze them overnight in a glass or other non-reactive bowl.
    � The next day, remove the lemons from the freezer and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of kosher salt per lemon; stir to coat.
    � Cover and set aside at room temperature for one week, stirring once a day.
    � At the end of the week, the lemons will be ready to use - as a flavoring for roast chicken, a sauce for pasta, a condiment for cauliflower or broccoli and myriad other ways limited only by your imagination.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK
    Reader question: I tried the recipe for preserved lemons you wrote about in a previous newsletter. Now they're in my refrigerator and I was wondering if you had recipes for using them?

Michael Bauer's answer: I don't have any specific recipes, but I use them liberally as flavoring agents. They're great tossed into the cavity of a chicken or slipped under the skin before roasting. Chop them up and use them with green beans, broccoli, spinach or just about any vegetable. They're great in pasta, especially to flavor a cream sauce or as an added boost to a tomato sauce. If you have bottled red sauce, chop up one-quarter lemon and add to that sauce, you'll be amazed at how quickly it freshens and transforms it. Minced preserved lemon is also great in a vinaigrette salad dressing or stirred into mayonnaise as a quick sauce for fish.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Teresa, I am going to check my local Wally World tomorrow and see if they have that great deal!

I'd probably make lemon curd if I could score a big bag of them.

If you have a few leftover, you should make some of these. They're super easy, and so light and delicious!

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for ramekins
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2-3 Meyer or regular lemons
    3 large eggs, separated
    2 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted and cooled
    1 cup whole milk
    1 pint raspberries, for garnish
    Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat bottoms and sides. Shake out any excess.

In small bowl, whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. grate 1 1/2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture.

In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add one-third beaten whites to yolk mixture and, with rubber spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining whites until just incorporated. With ladle, divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.

Linda

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

The stores around here in NYC often have lemons on sale, but they don't tell you what kind they are.

Is there a way to tell?

dcarch

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Very good but I added more lemon.

Food & Wine

RECIPE
    Meyer Lemon Gnocchi
    John Kernick
    Meyer Lemon Gnocchi

Contributed by Steve Corry

ACTIVE: 1 HR
    TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
    SERVINGS: 8 first-course servings

For supertender gnocchi, Steve Corry is careful not to overwork the dough. After draining the gnocchi, he sautes them until they're slightly crispy, then tosses them with the lemony sauce. Instead of sprinkling the gnocchi with Parmesan cheese, Corry likes to shave bottarga dried and salted gray mullet roe over the top, but they're also delicious without it.

ACTIVE: 1 HR
    TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
    SERVINGS: 8 first-course servings

Ingredients

Ingredients
    1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
    3 large egg yolks
    Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, preferably Meyer lemons
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Salt
    Snipped chives, for garnish
    Bottarga, for garnish (optional)

Directions

In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pan; shake over moderately high heat until dry.
    Working over a large rimmed baking sheet, rice the hot potatoes in an even layer. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the salt and pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes and stir gently just until a dough forms.
    Gently roll the dough into four 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Using a sharp knife, cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll each piece against the tines of a fork to make ridges. Transfer the gnocchi to the baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
    In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the 1 stick of butter, a few pieces at a time, until the sauce is creamy. Warm the sauce on low heat if necessary. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.
    In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the gnocchi until they rise to the surface, then cook them for 1 minute longer. Gently drain the gnocchi, toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet until cool.
    In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add half of the gnocchi and cook in a single layer over high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and gnocchi.
    Reheat the sauce; pour it over the gnocchi and fold gently with a rubber spatula until they are evenly coated. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the chives. Grate the bottarga on top, if desired. Serve.

From Steve Corry: Secrets of a Resourceful Maine Chef, Gail Simmons
    Published March 2008

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dc - they will be clearly marked Meyer Lemons. The Walmart had the Dandy brand Saturday. The ones they had out yesterday were Sunkist Meyer lemons.

The Dandy brand looks better quality - at least the ones I got did.

• Lars
    12 years ago

There are several ways to identify Meyer lemons. First of all, they should have an intense floral fragrance - the color of the skin should be yellow-orange, sort of egg yolk color, and they will be very soft to the touch, as the rind never gets hard, making them somewhat more difficult to zest. For me, they are seasonal, but I have quite a few right now. My tree only produces for about seven month of the year, and so when I have too many that are ripe, I freeze the whole lemons. Then I can use the lemons in recipes that do not have salt. Most of the time I use just the juice of the lemons, and so I freeze the rinds for use in stock or for stuffing chickens for roasting.

Fortunately, my lime tree makes limes when I do not have lemons, and I should have oranges by next year, but they really are no substitute for the lemons, and so I adjust the recipes that I make. I have a tiny orange tree (no idea what type) that came with the house and is growing back from a stump that was all that remained after the previous owners' dogs had their way with it, and it is now covered with blossoms, which the hummingbirds love. I'm not expecting oranges from that tree for at least another two years or so, however.

Lars

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

doucanoe - That Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake looks wonderful. I will have to make it sometime. I love lemon anything but I am the only one, so don't make too many lemon goodies. You can only eat so many lemon based items. I collect all the lemon recipes I see here on this forum. I now have enough for a cookbook! LOL

I also have a either Lisbon or Eureka lemon tree but I don't use that fruit much, only for zest or when I want a really tart lemon flavor. I do prefer the Meyer. And I have a navel orange which is good just to eat or make juice. My Mexican lime puts out lots of flowers but too cool here so no fruit unfortunately.
    Clare

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Linda's Lemon Pudding cake is amazing.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

How long do you bake the pudding cakes? I also saw Meyer lemons at the (dreaded) Wal-mart when I was there this past Saturday looking for a new travel alarm clock. I was tempted, but didn't know what I was going to do with them. Now I know!

Teresa - the one in NC

• triciae
    12 years ago

I made Morrocan Preserved Lemons for Christmas presents. Here's the recipe I used. It's a combination of ideas from various sources. They are absolutely fabulous! The aroma alone is worth making these. So far, we've used ours in mostly pasta & fish cream sauces & chicken dishes.

MORROCAN PRESERVED LEMONS

1 to 2 cups kosher salt
    16 organic lemons
    2 teaspoons whole cloves
    2 teaspoons black peppercorns
    2 teaspoons coriander seeds
    2 cinnamon sticks
    4 bay leaves
    1 to 2 cups lemon juice

Makes 2 quarts

A Moroccan kitchen staple, preserving lemons results in a silky texture and mellow citrus flavor. To use, simply discard the flesh and pith, and use the rind to add mellow citrus flavor to couscous, tagines, stuffing, risotto, pastas, sauces and vinaigrettes.

Wash 2 quart jars in hot soapy water, rinse and dry well. Place three tablespoons of salt in each jar. Slice off the top and the tip of each lemon. Cut each lemon into quarters, but don't cut all the way through the lemon. Make sure the lemon is still attached at the bottom. Open the lemon and sprinkle the inside and outside generously with salt. Place the lemons in the jar, packing them tightly to squeeze out any juice. (I used the handle of a wooden spoon to press the lemons down into the jar as I worked.) Sprinkle spices over each layer of lemons. Add more lemon juice so the lemons are completely covered and the jar is filled with juice. Add four tablespoons salt to each jar. Seal the jar and shake to mix well.

Store in a cool dark place, turning the jar upside down every couple of days for 1 week. Refrigerate lemons and let them sit for 2 more weeks, turning every couple of days.

To use a lemon in a recipe, remove a whole lemon from the jar, rinse off any salt and remove the pulp and any seeds. Slice the softened lemon peel and it's ready to use.

Here's a recipe for using preserved lemons that we love & haven't been without since Christmas

CHARMOULA WITH MORROCAN PRESERVED LEMON

Charmoula is a common North African marinade or garnish made with herbs, oil, preserved lemons, and spices. This charmoula works wonderfully with baked fish. It also gives life and light to a simple roasted whole chicken. A bit garnishing a simple carrot soup is delicious.

1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
    2 Red Onions, diced
    4 Large Garlic Cloves, crushed
    1 Cup Cilantro, finely chopped
    1 Cup Flat-Leaf Parsley, finely chopped
    2 Red Jalapenos, finely chopped (or, any small hot red pepper available)
    1 Whole Preserved Lemon, thoroughly rinsed with the pulp removed and rind finely diced
    ¼ Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
    ½ Teaspoon Saffron Threads
    1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Citrus Salt (I make my own.)
    Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, to cover

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Spoon into a jar and cover with a film of olive oil to preserve the fresh herbs. Makes approximately 4 cups.

/tricia

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Ooops...Somehow I inadvertently omitted the entire last part of that recipe!

Here is the complete recipe. Sorry.

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for ramekins
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2-3 Meyer or regular lemons
    3 large eggs, separated
    2 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted and cooled
    1 cup whole milk
    1 pint raspberries, for garnish
    Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat bottoms and sides. Shake out any excess.

In small bowl, whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. grate 1 1/2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture.

In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add one-third beaten whites to yolk mixture and, with rubber spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining whites until just incorporated. With ladle, divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.

Arrange ramekins 1 inch apart in large (17-inch by 13-inch) roasting pan. Fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Carefully transfer pan to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and tops rise 1/2 inch above rims.

Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. With sturdy metal spatula, carefully remove ramekins from pan with water and transfer to wire rack to cool 15 minutes longer.

Run thin knife around edge of 1 ramekin. Place small serving plate on top of ramekin and invert plate and ramekin together; remove ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins. Garnish each cake with a couple of raspberries and a mint sprig; serve warm.

Linda

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda - did you find lemons today at Wally World?

• trixietx
    12 years ago

I did teresa!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karen - what are you making with your lemons?

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

I didn't get a chance to stop. I'm going to try to get there tomorrow.

Linda

• trixietx
    12 years ago

I'm not sure, probably preserved or Linda's pudding cake, it looks so good. After seeing this post I just I had to buy them.

• lsr2002
    12 years ago

We don't have a Walmart here but Max found these at the closest one, about 16 miles from us.

The one pound bags were $1.99 and he got four, 2 for us and two for a friend. I haven't checked at Whole Foods this year because we just picked the last two from our potted Meyer Lemon. If these are good I'll be getting more to pop in the freezer since the ones on our tree now are smaller than a green olive!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda - I just love that photo of your lemon pudding cake on that Monax plate.

Teresa

• aliceinmd
    12 years ago

When you are making lemon curd or other recipes that call for "regular" lemons, what changes do you make? DH likes lemon meringue pie, but I'm wondering how much sugar to use -- the usual amount or a reduced amount?

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

aliceinmd - It depends on how ripe the lemons are when they were picked. If I pick the light bright yellow ones from my tree they won't be as sweet as the ones that are an orange yellow. I taste the juice and adjust the sugar accordingly. I usually go with less sugar any way because I don't like desserts to be so super sweet like most recipes make them.
    Clare

• jenn
    12 years ago

A friend gave me a bag of meyer lemons from her tree. I froze the juice and zest for later use. While searching for recipes, I found many for preserved lemons but wondered how I'd use them. Now I know!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am juicing the rest of the lemons tonite. I will freeze the juice in ice cube trays. Once frozen I will place the cubes in baggies for future needs.

Teresa who is loving Meyer lemons!

• KatieC
    12 years ago

I just got more Meyer lemons at Costco. I've made Meyer Lemon Marmalade, and a batch with M. lemons and clementines, a quart of plain preserved lemons, and one with some spices added (peppercorns, coriander, allspice if I remember right). I use preserved lemons way more than I thought I would.

Tomorrow is lemon curd (and homemade English muffins if I get really motivated) and maybe a Shaker lemon pie.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus