Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maine foodie day

Posted by agmss15 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:27

This may only mean something to fellow mainers... My mom and I had a some errands to do in Portland last week. Going to Portland is a two plus hour drive for us and an excuse to stock up on some ingredients. First stop of course is Micucci's the best italian grocery store in Maine - for olive oil, saffron, asiago and grana, harissa, pasta, really good salami and chocolate... Then a quick pizza lunch. Off to the Sun Market to stock up on Korean, Japanese and Chinese ingredients - green tea, yuzu kosho, red pepper paste, soy bean paste, daikon, dried red pepper, kim chi, korean soy sauce, nori and a quick korean food lecture from the owner. A visit to the Applestore where my computer has spent the last week being repaired. And finally on the way home a stop at the A-1 diner in Gardiner for dinner with friends which consisted of fish tacos, pork tacos, risotto cakes, liver and a to die for lemon pudding cake. My cooking should be perked up for months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maine foodie day

Oooooh, sounds good! I love Micucci's! Have you ever tried their pizza? Delish. Just in time for the big storm!

Where is the Sun Market? I need to hit a good Asian market to make some Kao Soi.

edited to correct typo

This post was edited by mabeldingeldine on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:07

o

Yum, it sounds like Michigan, we have to travel a couple of hours to get to anything. Have fun with all your goodies!

Annie

o

Sounds like fun and a great haul.

I went to Portland on a Leaf Peeping tour with girlfriends and was itching to go to some of the markets. Unfortunately my travel companions weren't foodies and would question such destinations. Although I did slip in a kitchen store in Bar Harbor and one in North Conway, NH.

o

You didn't stop in at the Old Port for LeRoux? Best kitchen store there is. I love their 2 floors of cooking bliss. They also have over 30 different flavored oils to try. Love the old creeky building too! Sounds like you had a great day. NancyLouise

o

My father-in-law lives in Maine, so we go up there almost every summer to the Camden/Rockport area, but since we usually fly into Portland, we might stop in the stores you mentioned the next time. Have you tried the sauces from Maine Chefs? The chef that makes the sauces and runs the company is a cousin-in-law to my wife. We've tried several and they have been pretty good.

o

This sounds like my kind of trip! You sure did get some nice goodies to bring home.

I have friends that live in the Jackson, Maine area and I'm hoping to go for a visit soon. I've been to Portland and ate my way through the seafood restaurants. We didn't have time for shopping but I plan on doing that this trip. I love the old Sebago Lake area! sigh~

o

Hope you got the essentials - bread, eggs, milk, toilet paper. Looks like you'll be snowed in for a while.

Stay safe, and warm.

o

Riverrat, when you come to Maine, let me know! I'd love to offer lunch, and I'm sort of enroute to Jackman

o

When I was in Maine, I saw two big mooses [ meese? :-) ].

then I was in a bus, the female driver was a moose hunter.

Do they sell moose meat in Maine?

dcarch

o

Micucci's is amazing. My mom has been going there forever.

Sun Market is on Congress st. Hmmm my direction giving skills might leave something to be desired... Sort of near the museum and MECA. Do you know where June Fitzpatrick's smaller gallery was? It's around the corner from there.

I haven't been to LeRoux - though I wonder if that is the place my mom has mentioned. Is it a restaurant supply place?

I will keep an eye out for the Maine Chef sauces. The yuzu kosho sauce I got is delicious! Tangy spicy!

As far as the storm I was stocked up but we didn't get hit to badly. Though it was very windy! I was snowshoeing with my puppy and suddenly realized he had run home. Too much for him and not much is!

Jackson or Jackman? I am also on the way if you are going up Rt 201 to Jackman. Let me know if you are going through.

I haven't seen moose meat for sale - usually if you like game meat hunters will provide (if they like you). A friend's 12 year old got a moose a few years ago. It was bigger than him.

o

mabeldingeldine and agmss15, I will certainly let you know when I go 'up' to visit our friends in Maine. It will be a few months till I'm able to go.

Gotta try some of that Moose meat! ;-)

o

LeRoux is an awesome cooking store agmss. 2 floors of anything your heart desires for cooking and baking. Knives, teapots, food, candy,specialty bakeware and more. It is on Commercial Street I think, across from the harbor and Dimillos's floating restaurant in an old building. They have cooking demos and tastings on the weekends. And when you are done there, there are so many other great boutiques, shops and restaurants for foodies all within walking distance in the Old Port. NancyLouise

o

That's my kind of shopping trip! It sounds like a great time, and talking to the Korean owner about cooking--bonus! The great thing about a trip like that is that it actually does make your cooking more fun for quite awhile. Enjoy the haul!!

Cj

o

I love the Old Port. My mom and I used to treat each other to occasional clothing splurges at a store called Amaryllis. I don't even know if that store still exists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here