Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So what's on your Super Bowl 2013 menu?

Posted by goldgirl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 14:17

I didn't notice a thread on this topic, but if I missed it, let me know.

DH and I are going to hang with our neighbors, who are having a few people over, so things will be pretty low key. I'm not a big pro-football fan, but am excited that the Ravens are playing since we lived in Maryland for many years and watched them win back in 2001.

I'm bringing a standard queso dip and two CF-recommended types of wings (traditional hot wings, plus Lindac's recipe, which I've never tried) and a few with Old Bay, which I love. Not sure what everyone else is bringing.

What's on your menu?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So what's on your Super Bowl 2013 menu?

My son and his family are coming over. None of us are big football fans but it is another reason to crank up the smoke.

We'll have smoked drummettes done up hot wings style, slow smoked meatballs with an undetirmined sauce- maybe sweet and sour, a variety of nachos- one using goat cheddar, and an assortment of veggies and dips.

That my friends sounds like a party.

michaelp

o

I don't know what friends might bring, but I am making:

Wings - several sauces
Mozzarella Sticks - Pioneer Woman has a respectable recipe. Will be making them using her method again.
Chili Dogs
Hummus - Tuscan style with rosemary, Tex-Mex black bean and Kalamata Olive and lots of pita chips to go with

And lots of sugar cookies... half will be purple and white for the Ravens an half will be red and gold for the 49ers.

Have fun and enjoy the commercials even if you aren't a football fan!

Alexa

o

I invited a few in to watch the game and an intending on serving a finger foodfood type of menu.

Shaun's wings with a couple of dipping RTsauces
Pulled pork sliders
Mini pork soft tacos
Sweet and sour meatballs ( maybe )
Tortilla chips with dips and guacamole

Not sure what the others are bringing

o

So far we're having guacamole for me and some stuffed jalapeno poppers for Elery. No one here has Super Bowl parties as they all have to work on Monday or have kids that get up for school and the game ends late enough that it's inconvenient for most working people.

So, Elery will watch the game, I'll watch the commercials. He'll eat poppers and I'll eat guacamole and neither of us care who wins.

Annie

o

I'd be happy with guacamole for dinner, Annie :) Love the stuff.

I don't know anyone having a party who doesn't have to work Monday and/or get kids up for school. I guess we all just opt to be exhausted on Monday, for the sake of tradition. Fortunately, we don't have far to go. But I sure wish the game were on a Saturday, instead!

Sue

o

Ribs, wings, salad, bread and beer.

Very conventional.

dcarch

o

The HG is on a road trip with his college team so I am going to a party by myself; it's one of our girls softball teams (the Mustangs). I'm bring Napa Slaw and Caramel Cheetos. The Napa Slaw was specifically requested and I thought I would bring the Caramel Cheetos as the "unexpected"; I think the girls will get a kick out of it as I listed it as "goose poop" to keep them wondering.

The HG asked that I record the Super Bowl. I'm going to record the "Puppy Bowl" on one TV and fake that I recorded the wrong Bowl.

Here is a link that might be useful: Puppy Bowl

o

Cathy, that's just not very nice. Funny as heck, but not very nice, LOL.

Goldgirl, I think I'm in good company, I saw a poll that asked what your favorite part of Superbowl is. The choices were (a) The Game, (b) The Halftime Show, and (c) The Food and the Commercials. Something like 78% of the people chose (c). I gave up the halftime show the year The Stones did it, someone needed to tell Mick Jagger that men his age are not flattered by leather pants. Ugh.

I don't really know why, but even the sports bars here have given up having SuperBowl specials, although the game will be on the televisions of course. Maybe because he!! will have to freeze before the Lions are ever in one? (grin)

Groups of people, usually 3 or 4 friends regularly get together to watch sports at the home of whoever has the biggest television, and the same friends (both male and female) will get together to watch the Superbowl, but that's not a party, it happens pretty much all the time.

Annie

o

Superbowl is not the big deal here, that it is in the States. Annie- I agree about Mick... and Steven Tyler and Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney. You guys are billionaires - hang it up already!
That being said, I am going to try the following recipe from
Bon Appetit and like a lot of the reviews, I will sub coconut milk for the milk in the recipe.
Jane

Fragrant Beef Curry with Rice
yield: Makes 6 servings

Bon Appetit

ingredients
2 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 large onions, sliced
6 whole cloves
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons Major Grey chutney
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Hot cooked rice

preparation
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Working in batches, add beef to pot and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute until tender and brown, about 7 minutes. Return beef to pot. Add cloves, garlic, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf and dried red pepper to pot; stir 1 minute. Stir in milk, tomatoes, chutney, lemon juice, ginger, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
Uncover; increase heat to medium. Boil stew until juices are slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice.
add your own note

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fragrant-Beef-Curry-with-Rice-104202#ixzz2JQF1aEW2

o

Annie, Don't worry, I'm recording the real Super Bowl on another TV. I know he would be happy to hear you've got his back.

o

I'm trying a new recipe, Homesick Texan's Jalapeno Mustard Roast Chicken. Prolly make some hot rolls, baked beans & coleslaw. I haven't been to the grocery store for a couple of weeks, forcing myself to use stuff I have on hand & create some freezer & pantry space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jalepeno Mustard Roast Chicken

o

I think you're right, Annie - local interest is probably directly proportional to how often the local team gets into the Bowl.

I've always enjoyed the commercials better than anything, but I've been disappointed the last few years. I always like the Budweiser Clydesdale ad, but nothing else comes across as all that memorable to me.

And speaking of the Puppy Bowl, this is really cute :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Puppy Predictor

o

I don't watch football, but my husband does...but nothing planned. Found this recipe this morning...anyone brave enough to try it? I don't drink....but it sounds good to me.

The 4 P�s Salad (from Texas Seth)

1 Fresh pineapple
4 Bosc Pears
2 Pomegranates
1/3 Cup Pecan Halves
1-1/2oz Wild Turkey Liqueur
1/3 Cup Honey

Peel, core and chunk the pineapple into bite size pieces
Hull the pomegranates and get the berries out
Core and slice the Bosc pears into bite size pieces, peel if you like
Mix the honey and the liqueur and pour over the fruits
after mixing the fruits up
Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before time to eat and then put the pecan halves over the top before serving.
That keeps the juices from dampening the pecans.
Make sure it is the sweeter Wild Turkey Liqueur and not the Wild Turkey Bourbon!!

o

Annie, you could tell Michigan they could root for the Patriots. Tom Brady played his college ball in Michigan. Tom's given fans lots to cheer over and just enough tears to keep fans somewhat still living in reality. :)

We're going to our neighbors to watch the game and I've got no idea what she's cooking but I know it will be spicy. She's Portugese from RI so DH is going to get us a bottle of Tums today! (grin)

/tricia

o

Marilyn, Thanks for the recipe. To late for today but I will definitely try this. I'm into cooking with booze but don't drink it.

Tricia, I hope you enjoy a well deserved break from your "temporary norm".

o

tricia, Lions fans are Lions fans, no matter. Dad used to watch the Lions and yell and curse, I explained that they couldn't hear him all the way to Detroit. I told him to stop watching them, it was bad for his blood pressure. He couldn't help himself, it was like watching a train wreck. He had too. I can't imagine him watching today's team, he'd have HATED Suh...

Ah well, Amanda once told me that you aren't really a fan if you're only a fan when they win.

In a pinch, Elery will cheer for Tennessee, his home state, but they aren't all that good either, LOL, although I understand they have a new coaching staff member who is from Michigan. Or heard of Michigan. Or thought about coming here once. Or something. (grin)

Annie

o

It's now the day after SB Sunday. We would have liked roasted Raven, with a side of BBQ'ed Flacco ribs, garnished with the head of Ray Lewis...LOL!

Instead, we ended up with the half-baked offensive plan by 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Norman (what was he THINKING with that hackneyed game plan?), the overwrought garnishes of keep-the-players-so-tense-they-choke management style of Jim Harbaugh (clearly not the coach his brother is, whose Ravens came out focused but loose, with superior fundamentals), and the can't-carry-the-whole-team thin shoulders of Colin Kaepernick, who may yet rise above the inadequacies of the owner Yorks' management style, so different than her brother Eddie Bartolo who oversaw a 5-Super Bowl trophy dynasty.

Sheesh.

Anyway, I made a new recipe, the NYTimes Short Ribs Chili Nachos. Had to make a bunch of improvisations: no short ribs so used a chuck roast; forgot the fresh chiles so improvised with a bunch of different types of chile powder. Also used Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream, and made the guacamole with chile verde salsa as a timesaver. Another time-saver was canned salsa, we can get a lot of great artisanal salsas out here, so I found one that was double fire-roasted, whatever that means, and used that - tasty stuff!

The nachos were very well received. Everybody liked the balance of flavors; using shredded beef instead of ground beef gives a cleaner yet heartier flavor. I made it several days in advance so that the flavors could blend and I could skim/cut off all the fat.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYTimes 2013 Super Bowl recipe: Short Rib Chili Nachos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here