Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you bake a ham that you wanted to freeze?

Posted by Bumblebeez (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 14:07

Obviously, I don't want to "cook" it twice, but I bought a spiral ham today for the purpose of cutting up and making freezer packages. I do want the crusty glaze so I was wondering if I should just run it under the broiler for a little bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you bake a ham that you wanted to freeze?

Is it the kind that has the separate packet of glaze? I so, I would freeze the glaze and use as needed. It seems to me that any glaze is going to dissolve in the thawing process anyway.

Nancy

o

Actually it's a sugary crystal packet, not a glaze. I could sprinkle some on each pile before wrapping as I might easily have twenty packages for the freezer.

o

I cut up a spiral ham once to freeze. It came with the sugary package. I divided the sugar. When I removed a package of ham to bake, I mixed a little mustard and water with the sugar packet to make a paste. It was added to the outside edge of the ham and clung quite well.

o

I don't even bake a whole spiral ham when I buy one to eat. Just cut off what we'll need and heat that up. They're already cooked and ready to eat, so there's not much reason to bake it if you're just going to freeze it anyway.

Hope you're doing something interesting with the bone--bean soup? Split Pea? 2 of my favorite soups

o

I am not going to bake it and will sprinkle the sugar mix on each package before wrapping.
Mostly, the ham will get cut up into bite sized pieces and fried as a topping for greens or eggs (for Dad).

My new love is fried ham and greens, I could eat this everyday. The goodness of the kale, turnip or chard is balancing out the unhealthiness of the ham so I'm even, lol!

Love 15 bean soup cooked with a ham bone, the bone is the prize of the ham!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here