Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaked lima beans shed and split

Posted by mikecox (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:03

Recently, on two different occasions, my soaked dry Lima beans turned into a disaster.

In the first case I noticed the skins getting all wrinkled so I threw them out after a couple hours.

The second time the same thing happened but I allowed them to continue soaking. After about 4 hours I noticed the beans were shedding their skins and splitting in half. I then them out as well!

I've never soaked Lima beans before but I have not seen this sort of thing happen with White Beans or Great Northern's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaked lima beans shed and split

I normally sprout beans before cooking (increases the nutrition, increases protein, decreases carbohydrates and makes them easier to digest) but another method from America's Test Kitchen for brining looks like it's helping keep the skins on and keeping the "meat" of the beans from bursting.

The video at the link below shows Bridget Lancaster explaining what happens and how to brine beans before cooking them.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Brine Beans

o

Thanks grainlady. I am going to try that. I cook cannellini bean soup at least 2-3 times per month in the winter.

o

Hi Mike,

I hate when stuff like that happens but admire your perseverance with the second try.

In any event, I've never tried lima beans, but I recently made ATK's minestrone (great northern and navy beans) using their 1 hour brining/heating/soaking method that Grainlady cited in her link. The results were very good.

I hope your limas were just a fluke.

Cathy in SWPA

o

Don't understand how the "grainlady"s post got on this thread, but thanks for you comment Cathy. I've posted this question on another forum and a lot of folks are viewing it, but no one has commented yet. I may have to go to Cooks Illustrated with this one. I also have to check to see why I didn't get an email notification.

o

I think that's what they do. Just cook them, there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. I don't eat lima beans so I have never cooked them But I found some info.

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: Limas.

o

mikecox-

My post got on this thread because I put it here - it's as simple as that!

The information included in the ATK video gives you the answer why the beans shed and split. I assumed you wanted a method for preparation to prevent the problem and I gave you two - sprouting and brining. If you don't know anything about sprouting or brining before cooking beans, do your own research because you obviously don't want my input!!!

-Grainlady

o

mikecox - did you view the link Grainlady posted? It contains methods used to get the desired results with cannellini beans. I believe it would produce good results with other beans as well.

The video she linked is from America's Test Kitchen (ATK). You might not realize this but America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated are inextricably linked. If you subscribe to CI you should be receiving both CI and ATK emails.

So you can view the video that Grainlady linked or go on over to Cook's Illustrated. I believe the info you get will be the same at either place.

I see you are new here. Welcome to the CF!!! FYI - Grainlady is an instructor and a wealth of information.

Teresa

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 19:26

o

Apologies to "grainlady".

When I read the post I thought it was off topic; about sprouting beans, I confess I didn't follow it to it's conclusion. Again, I apologize.

I had read about brining, and how it works;and actually watched the video on CI; and yes I do know the connection with ATK. Sadly our local PBS station, here in San DIego, is no longer carrying it; which I don't understand.

Thanks to everyone here for helping with this question.

I am soaking lima beans again and this time I will proceed to cooking them; regardless of how much they shed or split.

o

I you have better results, Mike. If you get an opportunity, report back if things turn out better and what changes you made.

I'm actually going to brine some beans tonight for soup tomorrow because of this thread:)

Good luck.

Cathy in SWPA

PS Grainlady is probably one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum. Like, sometimes I just go "wow", I never thought of that when I read her posts. She's probably one of the most gracious posters too:)

o

Thanks Cathy, I'll let you know.

o

The Lima beans didn't shed their skins or split nearly as much as the last two batches. I dug the last package of beans from the very back of the store shelf, so maybe this patch wasn't as old??? But they cooked up perfectly and I had them with supper last night.

o

"cooked up perfectly" Doesn't get much better than that, Mike, does it? Third times the charm!!!

I ended up using some kidney beans in my soup yesterday and some of them split -- I don't know why, but they were particularly off-putting. I can only imagine your limas:)

Thanks for the report.

Cathy in SWPA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here