Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Note to self: No stomping...

Posted by malna (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 13:41

Came inside (for the 5th time today) from shoveling snow off the deck - if I let it build up more than a few inches, I can't get the door open.

Stomped my feet to get the snow off my boots and...an avalanche!

I now have 22 luscious, ripe limes that fell off my Mexican (Key Lime) tree which lives near the front door. Off to look at recipes and figure out what the heck to make. We don't eat desserts, so maybe sopa de lima?

It was neat to have tropical fruit falling on my snow-covered boots, but I'd hoped to harvest fewer at a time :-)

Oops, make that 28 limes - just came in from shoveling again. I didn't stomp - really. Guess they're just super ripe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Note to self: No stomping...

Freeze excess limes for future use when you don't have any on the tree. I put them in Ziplock bags, remove as much air as possible, and then store them in the freezer. When ready to defrost, put them in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until defrosted. They are just as good after being frozen as they are fresh. My lime tree puts out a lot of limes at once, and then there are periods when I do not get any, but I am able to store enough in the freezer to get me through those periods.

I have two lemon trees, but I seem to use all the lemons as soon as they are ripe and seldom have enough to freeze. Maybe I need to feed it more, or perhaps I need more bees.

I have a pineapple in my back yard that is almost ripe, but only one. I don't know whether it will be as good as what I can buy, however, although it is getting to be a good size.

Lars

o

Here's a recipe that I make with limes. I usually use bone-in chicken thighs.

LIME CHICKEN

One 2 1/2 to 3 pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
1/2 tsp. grated lime peel
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Brush chicken pieces all over with lime juice. Place in 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate one hour. Uncover; brush all over with the melted butter. In a plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, chili powder and lime peel. Add the chicken pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat with the flour mixture. Return chicken pieces to baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees until done, about one hour. Makes 4 servings.

o

Key-Lime pie??

I can't get over the fact that you have an indoor lime tree that's producing fruit!! Wow.

o

Margaritas. Nuff said! ;)

Sorry you all are getting socked with snow for the umpteenth time this year.

o

Key lime pie is the answer....you need to start eating desserts or take it to a friend! I love key lime pie but it doesn't ship well.

However, given your not likely to make that pie.....squeeze all the juice and freeze it in ice cube trays for future use.

o

Isn't dessert a required part of the food pyramid???

I was confused when you said the tree lived near your front door I thought you meant outside. You have an indoor lime tree?

o

Thanks for the freezing tip, Lars. I hadn't thought about doing that (I don't exactly live in the citrus capital of the world so I've never had excess to even remotely start worrying about).

Based on the amount of white stuff between me (front door) and the road, I won't be going anywhere for a couple of days until I can shovel out. I don't dare let DH do it with his bad back.

Ruthanna, thanks for the Lime Chicken recipe. I think I only have one or two chicken thighs in the freezer, but I will try that recipe for sure when I can get out to the store.

I'd love to make Key Lime Pie, but DH doesn't eat it. Problem is I could/would eat one all by myself - I've put on way too much weight this winter already :-(

I am having a wedge of lime in my Corona tonight. Gosh, they are delicious.

Jasdip, sometimes I feel that my indoor plants (bay, lemons, limes, lemon grass, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, etc.) are the only thing that keep me optimistic from November 'til April. Nothing like the smell of freshly harvested herbs and fruit in February.

A very huge thank you, everyone, for the ideas!

o

debrak2008 - her My Page says she lives in NJ. So, very most likely she has this lime tree inside and has been successful in making it produce fruit - hooray for her - I'm impressed. Sigh. I'm in NC and have as much snow as I want for several years - stomping because I have early veggie seeds and strawberries to plant really soon, besides the asparagus bed that has to be moved and, and, and, I want to be out there RIGHT NOW!. Stomping.
Nancy

o

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, the lime tree is indoors. It is pretty amazing to have fresh limes. My Meyer Lemons stubbornly are not ripening - I've never tasted one, and I can't wait. I envy all of you that can have them in your garden.

o

I am LOLing because here (just north of Philly) we have a ton of snow too, however it is my Meyer Lemon that has produced a bumper crop! My Australian Finger lime is being stubborn, but it may be just too young still.

Yes, freeze the limes whole (or juice them and freeze the juice in small zip bags) for when your tree is regrouping for the next haul.

And this week is going to be in the 40's... lots of melting and spring IS coming!

Alexa

o

Malna, I have an indoor Meyer Lemon and after 7 months, the full sized lemon that was on it when I bought it, is finally almost fully ripe. Its been dark green ever since I bought it. I heard it takes forever for them to ripen. Joy, joy! I have a baby lemon on it that's about a half inch long and its flowering again so I've tried some manual pollinating with a feather. Hope its successful! I'm going to try to get more of the Meyer Lemon plants and some Limes plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here