SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

I made Dulce De Leche

maggie2094
16 years ago

I had a can of sweetened condensed milk giving me a dirty look every time I opened the pantry. Today was it's day. I saw Daisy Cooks the other day and she made Dulce De Leche with it. Pour into pie plate, cover, use bain marie and cook at 400 degrees for 90 minutes - beat with whisk or spoon and magic.

If and only if it can fend off incoming spoon attacks, this little jar is destined for greatness. Waffles over the weekend and maybe stirred into banana walnut muffins, over ice cream, or an apple crisp...maybe I need to go buy more condensed milk.

Comments (51)

• amck2
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had heard of a recipe where they actually baked the condensed milk in the can - sounded very dangerous.

This sounds more doable, and looks great!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

i'm jumping in early here to get my question asked - lol.

First, it looks great maggie - I've made it by submersing the can in water and cooking for 3-4 hours.

Just wanted to see what it was like - and other than eating with a spoon, I didn't know what to do with it...I'm not much of an ice cream eater...:-(

I'm looking for ways to use it - other than just eating...grin.

Stacy

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Tres Leches Cake (3 Milks Cake)

Q

Comments (1)
    I've eaten this cake. It's a Spanish specialty. And it is delicious.
    ...See More

Coconut Dulce De Leche Sauce

Q

Comments (4)
    It's true the coconut milk is canned, but once the can is opened, any advantage is lost. (I hope that makes sense.) Bacteria love coconut milk and it spoils very easily. Even canned coconut milk won't keep longer than about a week in the fridge. Oregon State's College of Health and Human Sciences doesn't even give it that long - they recommend a two-day refrigerated maximum. Even with the sugar (the amount of salt is too small to make a difference) a month's refrigeration of that Dulce de Leche Sauce would seem to be really stretching it. I don't think I'd keep the sauce around that long and definitely not at room-temp. Coconut milk has a pH of 6.2, which is really low-acid. It's akin to leaving out meat on the counter. Turkey is also pH 6.2. So it's a scary prospect. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Coconut Milk Storage
    ...See More

Cajeta vs dulce de leche?

Q

Comments (5)
    Cajeta is traditionally made with both, cow's milk and goat's milk. But sometimes, sheep's milk is also used. To add to the confusion, the silky smooth and rich caramel 'Dulce de Leche,' also goes by the name of Cajeta in some Latin American countries. Goat's milk lends a slightly tangy note to the caramel. But if you have an aversion to goat's milk, substitute cow or sheep's milk. Or, you could purchase ready-made Dulce de Leche found in most Latin American and Mexican markets. In a dessert such as the one you're making, either caramel would be suitable. Sol
    ...See More

I think I may have made a ghastly mistake.....!

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm smiling here...I have a friend who runs a dairy and he told me (us) once that they sell more Hagen Daz out of the C-stores than anywhere else and wondered why. Turns out it was Mom and Dad who bought the 4 liter pail of cheapo ice cream for the home freezer so the kids could do their thing but once the kids were in bed...Dad was off to the 7-11 for a small Hagen Daz for he and Mom to share as they snuggled on the sofa watching the movie or whatever. But it had to consumed that night, hence the smaller package. Can't let the kids know about Hagen Daz or you are in the poorhouse!
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    16 years ago

Oh Maggie isn't it so decadent! I made a recipe over the holidays that used the DDL in homemade puffs and then topped with a DDL sauce with hazelnuts...it was soooooo good.

Don't have the recipe here (I'm at the cottage) but I'll do a search and see if shows up...it was cooked in the can but worked fine.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Here is the recipe Chase is talking about. I have made it and it is delicious!

Dulce De Leche Cream Puffs With Frangelico And Hazelnuts

Puffs
    1 Cup water
    1/2 Cup unsalted butter
    1/2 Tsp salt
    1 Cup AP flour
    4 cold eggs
    1/2 Cup chopped hazelnuts

Filling
    3/4 Cup dulce de leche at room temp
    2 1/4 Cup 18% cream
    4 Tbl sugar divided
    pinch salt
    3 Tbl AP flour
    3 egg yolks
    2 Tbl Frangelico
    1/2 Tsp vanilla

Sauce
    3/4 Cup dulce de leche at room temp
    2 Tbl Frangelico
    1/2 Tsp vanilla
    1/4 Cup chopped hazelnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Place rack just below oven centre. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Heat water, butter and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat until water is quite hot and butter melts. Add flour and stir frequently for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture easily forms large smooth ball.

Place ball in bowl of mixer, break up by mixing briefly with paddle. Cool 5 minutes then beat in eggs 1 at a time on low to medium speed until well mixed. Using a spatula fold in hazelnuts.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on the prepared pan. Using wet hands shape into 2 inch rounds leaving the tops somewhat rough.

Bake 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 25 minutes or until deeply golden. Turn off oven and open door, Let puffs cool in the oven for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. (can be made weeks ahead and frozen. To restore crispness reheat in a 350 oven for 10 minutes or until puffs feel dry and crisp)

To make filling whisk room temp DDL (dulce de leche) while gradually adding cream until smooth. Stir in 2 TBSP sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat whisking occasionally. Meanwhile in a small bowl stir remaining 2 TBSP of sugar with flour, stir in egg yolks and Frangelico.When cream is quite hot to the touch stir 3 TBSP into the egg mixture to temper the egg mixture. Whisking briskly, pour egg mixture into hot cream. Stir constantly 3 minutes or until mixture thickens, becomes glossy and whisk leaves a trail in the filling. Stir in vanilla. Turn into a metal bowl. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on the cream surface. Refrigerate immediately. Use when cold. Keeps 2 to 3 days.

To make sauce, stir DDL in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in Frangelico 1 TBSP at a time. Stir in vanilla. Sauce can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temp or heat until barley warm to serve.

To assemble puffs. Cut each puff in half horizontally, Divide filling among bottom halves. Replace tops. Serve drizzled with the sauce and scattered with hazelnuts.Makes 12.

For the Dulce de Leche

2 to 4 cans sweetened condensed milk (300 ml each)

Preheat oven to 425

Remove labels and tops from cans.Cover each can with foil , pressing firmly about 1/2 way down outside of
    can.

Place in a large flat bottom casserole dish. Pour boiling water into dish until 1/2 inch from the tops of the cans. Cover with casserole lid.

Bake for 2 hours without disturbing except to check to see if you need to add water. Add more water if level drops dramatically.

After 2 hours lift cans from water bath. Cool on a rack with foil still in place. The refrigerate for up to a week or freeze.

Cold DDL is very thick so bring to room temp before stirring.

Each can makes 1 1/4 cup DDL.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Stacy, my husbands favorite cheesecake is Dulce De Leche..swirl it through your cheesecake batter...

~I think, I'll see if I have a can hiding in the back of the pantry.

Maggie, that looks amazing!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

My favorite cookie in the world is alfajores, a shortbread cookie with dulce de leche spread inside. The ones we had in Colombia were covered in coconut on the outside and amazingly wonderful.

• sigh
    16 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous! Is this more pourable than the made in the can kind?

I, too, made the DDL creampuffs and they were pure sin!

ANother thought- my husband likes to stir a spoon of the homemade DDL into yogurt. Trust me, try it.

Nina

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

MMMMM, I am drooling! Here is a recipe I make in the summer, but you can also make it make it on a grill pan in the winter. It's a little bit of heavan on earth!

Grilled Pineapple with Rum Dulce de Leche
    Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine

2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup dark rum
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 ripe pineapple, preferably golden
    Vanilla ice cream, as needed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    Pour condensed milk into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and cover with foil. Put pie plate in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to pan to reach halfway up side of pie plate. Bake milk in middle of oven until thick and golden, about 1 1/2 hours. Carefully remove pie plate from pan and cool completely.

Add rum and vanilla to milk, whisk until smooth, and season with salt. (The dulce de leche may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.)

Prepare a grill or grill pan. Cut the pineapple lengthwise through leaves, keeping leaves attached, into 4 wedges. Grill the pineapple wedges, cut-side down, until just charred, about 2 minutes on each cut side.
    Divide the wedges among plates, put a scoop of ice cream next to each, and drizzle with the dulce de leche.

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Good job, little mother!!

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

It looks wonderful. Great job!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Mag, that looks great! I like Daisy, too!

• khandi
    16 years ago

I found these recipe on Food Network Canada.

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Terrine with Hazelnuts

(from the show Sugar)

Ice Cream

2 tins sweetened condensed milk
    3 cups whipping cream
    1 cup milk
    dash of salt
    4 tsp vanilla extract

Terrine

1 cup hazelnuts, toasted

Butterscotch Sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp whipping cream
    1 tbsp corn syrup
    1 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Ice Cream

In a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, cook condensed milk until golden brown in colour, stirring constantly. The caramel will turn thicker as it cooks, but constant stirring will ensure an even colour.

Remove caramel from heat and whisk in cream and milk a little at a time, being careful for steam that comes off the hot caramel when cream is added. Add salt. Stir in vanilla extract and cool mix completely.

Prepare ice cream in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturers instructions.

Terrine

Spoon freshly made ice cream into a plastic wrap-lined loaf pan or 8-inch cake pan. Freeze until firm. Remove ice cream from pan and coat with chopped hazelnuts. Wrap and re-freeze until ready to serve.

Butterscotch Sauce

Place all ingredients except vanilla in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Chill until ready to serve.

To Assemble

Slice ice cream terrine with a hot, dry knife and place on plate. Drizzle butterscotch sauce around terrine, or pool over one edge of terrine slice.

Fried Ice Cream

(From the show Ricardo and Friends)

2 cups vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream
    1 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
    2-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    oil for frying

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sheet in the freezer for about 5 minutes.

Using an ice cream scoop and your hands, make a 60-ml (1/4-cup) ice cream ball. Repeat with the remaining ice cream, for a total of 8 balls. Place on the chilled baking sheet and return to the freezer for 10 minutes.

Place the almonds in a bowl. Roll the ice cream balls in the almonds, pressing the nuts onto the balls to coat them well. Freeze for about 30 minutes.

Place the eggs in a bowl and the crumbs in another bowl. Turn the ice cream balls in the egg and shake to remove any excess. Roll the balls in the crumbs, pressing to coat well. Freeze for about 30 minutes.

Strain the eggs to remove any crumbs. Refrigerate.

Coat the ice cream balls in egg and crumbs a second time. Freeze for about 2 hours.

Preheat the deep fryer to 190°C (375°F).

Fry 3 or 4 balls at a time until golden, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

*Note: Instead of graham cracker crumbs, use Oreo® cookie crumbs. Freezing times will vary from freezer to freezer.

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Goodie! Recipes! On the episode she used it as a filling for cookies.

Stacy, you post cracked me up. That is exactly why I made it - just wanted to see what it was like - lol.

Chase, I remember that recipe and the photo! I think maybe Caliloo made it, too...not sure. I never read it all the way though - so you don't even need the pie plate! You make fancy smancy desserts like t hat at the cottage? lol

I love the idea of the cheesecake and yogurt. Oooh, and the pineapple - you answered my question - I was wondering if you could add flavoring to it.

I haven't told DH about it yet and I am not sure I will:0!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Maggie, it looks wonderful. I love your step by step photos and I think it would be great over apple crisp.

The grilled pineapple with Dulce de Leche sounds really good too, as does spooning it over yogurt.

I made it once in the microwave (out of the can of course). I flavored mine with Kahlua. I spooned some over ice cream, and ate a lot just off the spoon, now I'd like to try using it as an ingredient in ice cream and saw a recipe on Epicurious that uses two cups of milk and one cup of heavy cream, obviously not as rich as the ice cream recipe posted above, but maybe a little less guilt producing.

Lee

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Maggie, I'm making some this weekend, all because of you. ;-) It looks really really good.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

I made the Dulce De Leche last year after Sharon posted the recipe.

Now after seeing your photos Maggie, I'm really tempted to make it again. Unfortunately, I don't have the same self-control that you have. It would never have made it into a little jar.

Ann

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Maggie, that looks positively decadent. I've also had it made in the can, cover with water and simmer for 3-4 hours. I'm told, though, that if the water boils off and your can isn't covered sufficiently, the can will explode! That would be a bad thing, just think of losing all that delicious dulce de leche. (sob)

I like this method, I'm giong to have to try it, I also have a recipe for alfajores.

Annie

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Here is the pic of the Dulce De Leche Cream Puffs With Frangelico And Hazelnuts in the recipe above. Thye were sooooo good. The recipe looks long but it's easy peasy.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Dulce de leche ice cream is GOOD! I haven't tried making it myself though.

Friends from Columbia use the in-the-can method of making it and spread it on little cookies. I can't remember the name of the cookies but they are like the host used in communion.

Jim

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

I dislike caramel, but Dulce de Leche is a whole 'nother animal.
    It's something I practically grew up on. My mom (actually, everybody's mom) always made it right in the can, submerged in water by several inches. My mom would boil several cans at a time. And that's the way I've been making it ever since I left home. Not a single boom. But now, I'm finding Dulce de Leche sold at several markets in my area.

I like using it on ice cream. Swirled in pound cake, cheesecake; last TG I made pumpkin profiteroles and topped them with Dulce de Leche. A little too rich for my taste, but still a treat. I've also enjoyed it with nothing but a spoon.

Sol

• carrie2
    16 years ago

I used to cook sweetened condensed milk in the top of a double boiler to make dulce de leche. Now I cook six cans of sweetened condensed milk at a time in my largest pot (all cans fit on the bottom). I bring them slowly to a boil and cook them for three hours, then turn off the heat. The trick is to keep them covered by about two inches of water. I keep my electric tea kettle ready with hot water to cover them occasionally. Don't leave them unattended. I've made dulce de leche this way many times with no problems. My Chilean friend cooks the cans in a pressure cooker, but I'm not going there!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Carrie, when you cook six cans at a time do you store what you are not using immediately in the unopened cans in your pantry, or do you store it some other way? How long does it keep?

I've never made it in a pressure cooker but I think the key to doing it that way is also to keep the cans under several inches of water.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Lee

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I found a can...it was right there in the pantry next to the lite coconut milk....now should..I?....I need to get in my pantry more often..LOL

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Now that I know what they put in churros that is so good, I've got to give this a try. I'm doing the cook in can method. There are recipes all over the internet so I'm sure it's safe. Right?
    {{gwi:1491697}}
    Damage control, just in case. If you don't here from me after while check the emergency room.
    {{gwi:1491698}}

• annie1992
    16 years ago

LOL, Jim, I'm told that the only problem is if you let the water boil off and the cans aren't covered with sufficient water.

Jim. Jim. Jim.........what was that "boom" I heard?

Annie

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Ok that was 11:36 this AM and now it's almost 5:30...

I did mine in the oven lids off......are you still with us James!

• jimtex
    16 years ago

I survived. And it turned out good. I went and got some vanilla ice cream to eat with it and found some Smuckers dolce de leche and the home made is the winner, hands down. If Jesse cheats with her swap package I'm going to accidentally drop the other can in my swap package. Here's what it looks like.
    {{gwi:1491700}}

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Whew! I was beginning to worry too James but it looks great and you survived.

I made some last night in the microwave (not in the can) and I'm very happy with it too. Eighteen minutes of cooking in two minute intervals, first on Medium for a total of six minutes, and then on Medium Low for twelve minutes - stirring with a silicone whisk at each two minute point. You cook it until you are happy with the color and the thickness.

I added about an ounce of Kahlua after it was cooked and put it in a jar. I'm poaching some pears in white wine and saffron and drizzling the dulce de leche over them.

Lee

• lori316
    16 years ago

Wow, Maggie, thanks for posting this. I've always been nervous about the can exploding too, so I've never made it, but your post has got me excited to try. I just want some drizzled over bananas...or apple pie...or ice cream...or apple pie AND ice cream.

Has anybody made the cream puffs with a substitute for the frangelico?

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Lori you can just omit the frangelico...it wasn't the star

• sigh
    16 years ago

Lori,

I made the cream puff recipe with Licor 43 instead of Frangelico. Pure bliss.

Nina

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whew, Jim! I was on pins and needles! LOL Good to know about the taste test!

Lee - talk about kicking it up a notch! I love Kaluha.

Nina - you asked about consistency in the pie plate method. It does set up once it cools.

• sigh
    16 years ago

Thanks for the answer on consistency, Maggie. I tried to "drizzle" my in the oven DDL over ice cream but it was more like clumps. Still delicious but set up into lumps as soon as it hit the cold ice cream.

Nina

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Mine did too Nina but like you said it was still good. I've got today off and it's raining so I'm putting some in a sour cream cheese cake. I poured half the batter in then spooned some of the dulce de leche in and covered it with the rest of the batter. I've only made cheese cake a couple of times and I'll bet my bottom dollar this is the best one.
    {{gwi:1491704}}
    {{gwi:1491705}}
    It's in the oven right now. I'm posting all these pictures because I got a new camera and I'm learning to use it.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I so adore ddl and am anxious to see your finished pic Jim.

I have made it in a big pot, a couple of cans at a time, doing the boil in the can method. But the micro sounds like a good fast way Lee. Glad to know how long the whole process took.

Resisting eating the whole kitancaboodle at once is the hard part... I never use it for anything... >:-)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Maggie - I'm late to the party here since I've been on the road - is there any left? I don't understand what you need recipes for, what the heck is wrong with just a spoon and eating it right away - maybe save some for the next day. Or, send it to me. I love it, in case you haven't figured that out. I guess I'll be needing to make it soon too.

I'm happy you survived, James, LOL, can't wait to see the finished cheesecake!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

OMGOODNESS JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I'm screaming! LOL

That is my hubbies fav...out dessert....
    I've got to make it for him.. Great idea to layer the cheesecake filling...

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

What do you do with the cans after you made the DDL? Do you have to keep them in the refridgerator if they're not opened, or can you keep them in the pantry?

Gotta try this! These would make WONDERFUL gifts!

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Jim, your Dulce de Leche kaboom facility is pretty darn cute. You're a brave man. And unbaked or not, your cheesecake looks delish.

To reiterate, I prepare several cans of DL at a time, and haven't had any mishaps, yet. As long as the cans remain submerged in water the entire time. I boil mine gently, between 3 to 4 hours for a dark caramel. For a lighter caramel, I boil them for 2-2½ hours.

"Carrie, when you cook six cans at a time do you store what you are not using immediately in the unopened cans in your pantry, or do you store it some other way? How long does it keep?"

Lee, obviously I'm not Carrie, but since your question went unanswered, I'll reply.
    Unopened Dulce de Leche can be kept at room temperature and -ideally- used by the expiration date on the bottom of the can.
    Being the DL rebel that I am, I have kept mine at room temperature for about a year after caramelizing them, and the resulting product has always been excellent.
    Once opened, DL will need to be kept refrigerated. Covered and refrigerated, the caramel will keep, at least several months.

"I tried to "drizzle" my in the oven DDL over ice cream but it was more like clumps. Still delicious but set up into lumps as soon as it hit the cold ice cream."

Nina, the caramel is almost firm enough to cut with a knife when cooked until very dark. But, if you're trying to use it on ice cream, and get clumps, all you have to do is whisk in some milk or corn syrup (I prefer the former), until you get the right pouring consistency.

This first picture is a few years old, but it's one many ways I've used DL Tres Leches Cake, and atop Profiteroles. I'm posting this, to show the syrupy consistency I mentioned earlier. And here's another old picture. I added dark Rum to the sauce here, and paired it with the grilled pineapple.

Since I have a few cans of DL left, I'm going to use to make Caramel Apple Cake. So much for eating lighter.

Sol

• sigh
    16 years ago

hmmm...we haven't heard back from Jim yet so I suspect that he's passed out in a DDL cheesecake coma, clutching a spoon in his hand (at least that's where I'd be).

Sol, thank you. That's a great breakdown on how to store DDL & also the much appreciated instructions on how to achieve drizzle consistency.

You can indeed store the unopened cans at room temperature. My dearest GF is Cuban and among her many culinary talents is the ability to make a wicked pina colada. A diet buster for sure but back when we were in college and complaining that we were "fat" in our size 4 capris there was no better way to celebrate the end of finals than with a pitcher of pina coladas.

Her recipe included a can of sweetened, condensed milk & we were raiding her parent's cupboard for one when we discovered that the only can had been "cooked".

"What is it?" I asked
    "oh, it's delcious, you use it as a spread for cookies or cake or even in ice cream."

Did we try any? No, out little bubble brains were focused on making rum drinks but years later when the DDL craze hit I realized that I had already made it's acquaintance, in the same kitchen where I had experienced other previously unknown delights like churasco, Cuban pork roast, arroz y frijoles and Cuban coffee.

So anyway, nobody in her family has fallen ill as a result of sealed cans of DDL being stored at room temperature. Just make sure to label the cans properly.

Nina

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Thanks Sol, that is really helpful information. I am happy with the microwave results, but I would also like to do several cans at a time and be able to store it. I have to make sure I have no more vintage cans lurking on the back of a shelf somewhere before I buy a bunch to do at once. Caramel Apple cake sounds divine - I hope you'll show us. Have you ever made Dulce de Leche from whole milk?

Here's my pear poached in saffron wine sauce with DLD drizzled on top - dangerously good!

Nina, do you remember how to make the pina coladas with condensed milk? I'll bet those are exceptional.

Jim, where are you??? Tell us about the cheesecake, please.

Lee

• patricialynn
    16 years ago

From the pictures of the cans in a pot, the cans are not touching. Should they not be touching or does it not matter. I would like to make a few can and leave them like Sol did. That way I can use them later. Looks delish!!!

thanks, Patti

• jimtex
    16 years ago

My cheese cake turned like nectar of the gods. Maybe that's overstating it but I'm really amazed I could cook one by myself, let alone be this good. Thanks to Maggie for starting this thread. I'm not a big eater of sweet things but this stuff is over the top and if I gain a bunch of weight I know who to blame.
    James

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Congratulations James! Cheesecake freezes well, so don't blame Maggie. LOL

Lee

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

James that cheesecake looks delish! Thanks for the idea.

Lee your dessert looks wicked!

sol and Nina thanks for the info about storing unopened cans, mind you do I really want that stuff so accessible? I've gained 10 pounds just looking at the pictures on this thread!

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll take the blame if James shares:)

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

LOL Chase, I'm dreaming of the six pack or is it an eight pack of condensed milk that our Costco sells and cooking them all at once in the PC. But like you I have to question if I want that much spoonable decadence around. I have one more, I hope it's just one more, vintage can that I will nuke but then I'm up for cooking a bunch together. The pear dessert is very good - how can anything with DLD not be good?

Maggie, thank you again for starting this very dangerous to our waists topic. Is your first batch gone yet? How did you use it, besides off the spoon?

Lee

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Nina, last night I pulled a Bluto Blutarsky (in the school cafeteria scene) and shoveled a big glob of Dulce de Leche in my mouth, but unlike Bluto, I swallowed.

Lee, your poached pear looks fantastic. And I have to add, I like that background; I'm guessing it's a needlepoint table runner? Anyway, it's lovely.

Patti, if you don't have a canning rack, place a kitchen towel in the bottom of the pot, and rest the cans on that to keep them from bouncing around.

Sharon, go ahead (threatened the little devil on Sol's shoulder), find a good hiding place for them - and use only when absolutely necessary; I'll honor and respect your Dulce de Leche manifesto ;-Þ

Sol

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Thank you Sol. I have an Indian crewel rug under glass on my dining room table for spring and summer, it covers about 3/4 of the table. In the fall and winter I use a black embroidered with red Kashmir shawl. The glass is heavy, it's a PITA to lift off and change what's underneath so I only do it, with Max' help, twice a year.

Lee

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

I made it and it's superb. Does the Dulce de Leche need to be refrigerated?