SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
platocat

How to go about setting up a Nacho/Taco Bar for 20-25 people?

platocat
15 years ago

DH and I recently joined a neighborhood euchre club and the rules are that it costs $10/person to play and the winner gets the $$ but has to host the next gathering. Even though we are both new to the game, wouldn't you know it but DH ended up winning last time so we're hosting next month. I estimate about 20-25 adults will be coming, we're responsible for all the food and drinks, and we have $180 to work with. Now, I expect we'll be chipping in extra but I don't want to go broke doing so. The last euchre party we attended had a really lavish spread with jumbo shrimp, chocolate fountain, 3 different entrees, etc. We aren't going to go that route but I don't want to come off looking cheap, either.

I'm thinking of going with a Nacho/Taco Bar so people can serve themselves. The food can be kept warm through-out the night. We'll also have desserts and plenty of beverages available. Qdoba has catering service available for a Nacho Bar and it includes:

-homemade tortilla chips

-marinated grilled chicken

-marinated ground sirloin

-choice of black or pinto beans

-warm 3-cheese queso

-three salsas

-sour cream

-greshly made guacamole

-choice of cookies or brownies

Qdoba charges $170 + tax for 20 people for the above mentioned items and the kit will come complete with chafing stand, chafing dishes and sterno, all serving utensils, plates, and napkins. We'd supply taco shells, flour tortillas, and lettuce to make it also a "taco bar".

Going with Qdoba sounds tempting but when you add in the costs of desserts, wine, beer, soft drinks, etc, we'll probably be $100-150 "over budget". I'm thinking it might be worth it to prepare the stuff myself to save some money.

Do you have any advice/tips on how I can do this? Any good recipes to share? I have several crock pots and an electric warming buffet that I can use. How much meat, salsas, tacos, tortillas, etc. should I get for this amount of people? Will it be easy to do or should I save myself the hassle and go with Qdoba?

Thank you so much for any and all suggestions!

Comments (15)