SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21847015

Artisan Bread

User
16 years ago

Lee (lsr2002) posted a link to a video for the 5 minute Artisan Bread ... all those who like no-knead bread will love this recipe.

I did 4 1/2 cups all-purpose and 2 cups whole wheat flour for mine. I let it rise 2 hours and stuck it in the refrigerator.

This morning I took some out to make cinnamon rolls, rolled it out and filled with butter, cinnamon sugar, raisins and chopped nuts. Baked in a 375 degree oven about 30 minutes.

Drizzled with a little confectioners sugar frosting.

Comments (63)

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy

That bread is so purty :) Thanks for sharing ... that is what is great about this forum, we can put our collective cooking heads together !

I have another batch (all white flour) that just went in the fridge, I will let it sit for a couple or so days, anxious to see how it does.

Linda

• trudy_gw
    16 years ago

Have some dough made today. Want to make pizza tonight....how do use this for the dough?

Thanks

• Related Discussions

Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day book

Q

Comments (17)
    i made my first batch with 1 cup of ww flour, 5 1/2 c unbl bread flour, 3 c water, 1 1/2 T yeast, 1 1/2 T salt, mix well, let sit 2 hours on counter..then refrigerate..i used a 5 qt ice cream bucket. pull off 1/4 to 1/3 to bake..use 1 c hot water in a pan in the stove to add steam when putting loaf in on stone or in a pan..or rolls.. allow cool bread to warm and rise until about double. preheat oven well. 450 for 40 min for most breads..20 min for most rolls..can reduce temp for smaller rolls to 350 but cook the 40 min. 425 to 450 for pizza..probalby most flatbreads as well. flour or cornmeal give a firmer crust..none makes a softer crust..experiment with flours and coatings..with flour..slash crust before baking
    ...See More

Artisan bread books - recommendations?

Q

Comments (8)
    In no particular order... -Almost anything by Peter Reinhart: "Crust & Crumb", "Artisan Breads Every Day", "The Bread Baker's Apprentice", etc. -BREAD - A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman - Director of the Bakery and Baking Education Center, King Arthur Flour -King Arthur Flour used to have a video: The Baker's Forum ARTISAN BREADS. I learned more hints and tips from that video than in the large number of books on the subject in my cookbook library. Sometimes seeing IS believing! -Beth Hensperger's - "BREAD MADE EASY - A Baker's First Bread Book" (great instructions AND recipes); as well as "The Pleasure of Whole-Grain Breads" which includes recipes for the bread machine and a wide range of breads, not just "Artisan". -"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day - Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois - for a VERY non-traditional slant to Artisan Bread making. -"Illustrated Encyclopedia - BREADS OF THE WORLD - by Jennie Shapter You might check your local library for books/videos on the subject, as well as classes. You will find Artisan Breads in nearly all bread machine cookbooks. Such as: -The Cook's Encyclopedia of BREAD MACHINE BAKING - by Jennie Shapter (one of the most beautiful cookbooks!) -Grainlady
    ...See More

Another bread question - Artisan breads?

Q

Comments (16)
    Linda, If you want to convert a bread machine recipe to a made by hand recipe, try this: in a bowl - put in the water or other liquid called for add in the yeast, whisk to dissolve, let sit 5-10 minutes to "proof" the yeast and made sure it is viable add any sugar, honey, maple syrup or other sweetener called for in the recipe, stir well add half of the flour called for in recipe, add salt and mix well, stirring with a strong spoon or heavy duty whisk also add in any dry herbs or spices now add in any butter, oil, or other fat called for - if melted butter, make sure it is only just warm, not hot - add in any egg(s) listed in recipe add in rest of flour and any other ingredients, chopped herbs, nuts, dried fruits, cheese, etc. stir well with spoon or mix with your hands until dough is a rather shaggy mass turn out dough onto a clean, floured flat surface and knead for 8-10 minutes adding only small sprinkles of flour if the dough sticks to your hands and the kneading surface [if you forgot those nuts, cheese, or raisins, you can knead them in now] when dough has been kneaded sufficiently it will come together into a nice firm ball (rather than a shaggy mass) and spring back when poked with a finger grease or oil a large bowl (or use the one you mixed in), put dough in, turn it around in the oil to grease the top of the dough and turn it oiled side up in the bowl; cover with a bowl cover (shower cap type), plastic wrap, or wax paper, then cover with a clean kitchen "tea" towel (dampened with hot water if you are making whole wheat bread) and set the dough to rise until doubled in bulk turn out dough, knead 2 minutes, divide into portions according to recipe or not - form loaves and put in greased loaf pans or not - cover again with wrap, and let rise until doubled in bulk preheat oven, bake bread until done, let cool at least a few minutes before cutting - and enjoy!
    ...See More

We had Artisan Bread in 5 a Day, now tell me about HEALTHY vers

Q

Comments (7)
    I am a binge challah baker from the abin5 book. Four challahs today-now are in the freezer. I, there is a lot of info on artisanbreadinfive.com that isn't in their books-especially their listing of publishing errors They call it errata ,on the web. I know you bake beautiful things. You might like to take a look at zoebakes.com, which is Zoe's own website-she is a pastry chef. Haven't tried ww as I am stuck on challah.
    ...See More
  • lucyny
    16 years ago

Trudy,
    I too am interesting in trying this dough for pizza myself. I have the dough all mixed up, & may try making a pizza over the weekend with it. Would love to hear how you make out w/it.

As far as how to go about it, if it's anything like the Challah dough in texture, it maybe soft. If that be the case, then I would place the amount of dough you plan on using on a well flour board first & coat all sides w/the flour. Are you free forming it or pan baking? If free form, then just need to make sure that your board is well covered w/flour so it doesn't stick. If pan baked, once covered w/flour so that you can handle it, place in pan & stretch to fit pan. It may need to relax 10-15 mins, if it pulls back. I can't wait to hear how you make out.

Lucy

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Thanks Linda, I have about 3/4 of my dough left and I leave on a biz trip on Sunday so I am thinking the rolls would make a perfect Saturday morning brunch treat for Max. Then I could bake off a loaf of bread and put it in the freezer.

Lucy your Challah looks fabulous too. It must be good if you've made it twice already.

OK Sharon, you can blame me! My book is scheduled to arrive on Friday. I can't wait to hear more about your sourdough; I have some starter from Teresa and I'm hoping to finally get it going in the next few weeks.

Lou, your baking always amazes me but I am so not a baker that I need a little more experience to try more than four ingredients - not to mention a lot more time to play.

When I made my small pizza from the basic dough I found it did want to pull back smaller. Maybe I should have used a little more flour and let it rest, but hey, it was a small pizza for one and I was hungry. Just wanted to get it on the grill. I think it would be easier to stretch out in a pan. I started just by pulling mine in the air and then stretched it over a little bowl and inverted it on release foil (and virtually had to start stretching it out all over). If you are baking on a stone, I would put it on release foil and slide the foil out after about 5 minutes. That's how I started mine on the grill - the dough was REALLY SOFT. After about 3 minutes it just slid off the foil with the slightest touch and was firm enough to keep it's shape on the grill.

I'm looking forward to hearing about more breads with this technique.

Lee

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Ohiomom: Did you miss Sugar or Honey in the recipe for your Cin, rolls ?

I bumped up the Post " Yellow Cake w. Yeast for Bunns " ,
    so I could get some Info.
    It was down to #6 in Messages.

Lou

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No Hawk, after I rolled out my dough I brushed it with butter, then a mixture of sugar and cinnamon ... threw some raisins and nuts on and rolled it up :)

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried adapting the 5 minute artisan recipe with sourdough instead of using yeast? I seems so similar to the no knead 18 hour bread.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I have my first batch of dough made and in the fridge. I'll make the beginners loaf tomorrow.... I was reading about this bread this afternoon. There's an interview with the author's on The Fresh Loaf site. It's interesting and they mention the No Knead Bread. I just might need this book... but I'll wait to see what those who already have it ordered say...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fresh Loaf

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lee:
    You are selling yourself short. Bread recipe's are very easy,
    It only takes about 10 minutes to mix a batch.
    Then all you have to do is wait til it rises and shape it.

Wait a little more, to rise, than Bake.

Most of the recipes are a lot of words and seems a little complicated.
    But when you really look into them,there isn't much you can't understand.
    Don't be afraid to tackle a recipe with a lot of words, just break it down.
    Remember, what they say,If you want to walk 100 miles, take the first step.

Now ,lets all stand again and sing our National Anthem .

LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lee:
    I forgot! I put Recipes in the " LOU,Pizza Dough ???" Post.
    It's almost dropped of the bottom.
    Lou

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

LOL Lou, I do tend to overthink things and then take b a b y steps. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Lee

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Oh Wow, what I wouldn't give for one of your cinnamon buns for breakfast. Would go great with my coffee. Great photo.

Ann

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Ann:
    Your too late, I ate them all. She did a professional job!

What are you doing up this late.
    Wait! I think it's about 9:20 PM there.
    I don't know what I'm doing up.

Lee:
    I dare you to take a Giant Step !!!
    LOU

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AnnT

Thank you, coming from you that is high praise .. love your photos ! Photographing food has been my biggest challenge ... my pics are taken with a HP Photosmart Digital camera.

• trudy_gw
    16 years ago

The pizza and the bread turned out wonderfully, to my surprise, since this is not something I would do!

For small pizza, just pinched off half of the grapefruit size dough. Did the of working it over with flour as per instructions on the bread loaf. Let it rest a few minutes.

Keep adding a little more flour as you work it and stretch into a pizza crust, letting it rest in between shaping.

Put onto cookie sheet (no stone yet) with corn meal on it. Let rest about 15 minutes, dock the crust before baking.

Baked at 425 till dough doesnt look wet, I think at this point it looked like it could of been frozen for future use.

It set for awhile, we had cocktails, then put on sauce, mushrooms and minced garlic. Bake about 6 minutes, add cheese, bake another 5 minutes. Took off pan, and put directly onto rack, for about another 3 to 5 minutes.

Out of the oven came a wonderful crisp pizza! The size of the pizza was more like an snack pizza.

We had a couple of neighbors over for soup, and I was worried the whole time how this was going to turn out, well it worked out so well.

The loaf of bread that had been baked early in the afternoon, made a very nice compliment to the sausage minestrone soup......and oh the smells of the kitchen!

The Artisan 5 Minute Recipe is a winner in my book. Like I said earlier, baking bread is not something I do.

I am usually overwhelmed by the directions in the recipe. Watching the video of making this bread did help tremendiously. Know all I need is the book and a stone!

Thanks to all of you for the help in this recipe, I did lots of searches and you all had wonderful ideas.

Know to one day, make Lou's rolls for breakfast!

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting this recipe, Ohiomom. Somehow the previous discussion about the 5-minute method completely escaped me. Yesterday I went and Googled a few videos and then immediately mixed up a batch of the basic dough recipe--with whole wheat subbed for about a third of the AP flour. Baked some last night and ended up with a loaf of surprisingly good bread for almost no work. I ordered the book even before the bread was done (another bread book! I'm going to have to start hiding them in my underwear drawer!). The authors have a blog that looks really helpful and friendly.

I love the variations you all came up with. I can't wait to start playing around with this.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Ohiomom, that looks delish. The recipe you posted is the master recipe for boule, and it's a great recipe for many other variations.

Lucy, that braid rocks.

The book is great for anyone intimidated by yeast breads or for those with little time on their hands to babysit starters or the time it takes to knead breads, proof yeast, etc. All that's been eliminated in this book.

BUT the title "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" is a bit misleading. The recipes in the book are simple enough to make, and most recipes will probably take 5 minutes to prepare, but you'll still have to include the two hour rising time. And if you chill your dough after the initial rise, you must also bring it to room temperature and allow the dough to rest 1 hour before baking.

With the master recipe that Ohiomom posted, the authors recommend that the first time you try their method, it's best to refrigerate the dough overnight (or at least 3 hours) before shaping a loaf.

And being that I'm a sucker for cookbooks, I got mine a few weeks ago, and I prepared a batch of their Brioche, which has been in my fridge for 4 days.
    I've been baking for Vday, so I've put off baking this bread. Anyway, I'm using the Brioche dough to make their Almond Brioche "Bostock" which is one of the reasons I got the book.

Again, this book is great, it will save you preparation time. It has few, but great pictures. And the instructions are easy enough for even my youngest son to follow, but it does involve patience, as with any other bread. Just thought you'd want to know.

Sol

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sol, question .. what is boule ?

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Ohiomom, Boule is French for "round, or ball."
    And it must always be uttered with pinky pointing skyward.

(Monique, if you're lurking, I hope you're beaming proudly)

Btw, I forgot to mention that a lot of the recipes in this book, make four pounds of dough, which must be kept refrigerated. So, if you have a refrigerator full of stuff, like mine, you'll need to make room. But that's really not a big deal.

Sol

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I used this recipe and left my dough in the refrigerator for 3 days before making my first loaf. I made a double 3-braid challah and it was delicious. The dough is very easy to work with.

This is a picture of my 3rd challah a 6-braid with black sesame seeds.

Michelle

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Oops I used a different recipe that was posted by Lucy.

Master Challah Dough (lucy)

(From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois)

1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
    1 1/2 tbl instant yeast
    1 1/2 tbl kosher salt (1 1/2 tsp table salt)
    4 lg eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
    7 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, water, honey, melted butter, yeast and salt. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Add in the flour. Stir until you don't see any more dry bits of flour. Cover (not airtight) and stick it in the refrigerator overnight, or up to 4 days. The longer you let it sit in the refrigerator, the better tasting the dough will be.

If you want, you can let it rise for 2 hours on the counter, pinch off the dough that you need to make your Challah. However, with only a 2-hour rise, the bread isn't very flavorful. Still good, but definitely not as good as if you had let it sit 1-4 days in the refrigerator.

I am going to try the recipe Lee posted next and see how that works out.

Michelle

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Looks great Ohio, and I'll take some of Lucy's and Michelle's bread while I'm at it. I watched the vid that Lee posted on the pizza post...plan on trying it out this weekend. If the book is available on amazon I'll probably be getting it too thanks to free shipping.

David

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Michelle,
    I love those little hearts!! & that plate!! Beautiful :-)

David,
    The Challah is absolutely wonderful, you've got to try it, you won't be disappointed. I have the Artisan dough mixed & ready to go tomorrow, I'll be making a loaf & will also be making a pizza. I can't wait to see what that dough brings to pizza.

Lucy

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Ok I need a little help here..... don't laugh at me!

I don't know from instant yeast, I just have Fleischman's traditional yeast in the little packets. So many of the recipes posted here call for instant yeast.

What is the difference? Can I use what I have? Is there a different ratio? Sometimes I think this bread thing is tougher than it needs to be.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1476807}}

Yellow Cake Mix with yeast

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Chase, your regular yeast should be fine, I would disolve it in a little of the warm water first.
    I might be wrong.... but I would think that they used the instant yeast just because they were wanting easy and fast.

Nancy

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Sharon, I just checked what I've been using for several years now and it is Fleischman's Yeast sold in one pound packages. It does say instant yeast on the package. I use to use the small packets too....don't recall if it said instant or not. I also use to buy bread machine yeast when I first bought my bread machine many years ago...then there is rapid rise. I'm thinking it is a time thing with the rapid rise and bread machine yeast. I'm thinking what you have should be fine. I'll be curious what others have to say on this topic.

David

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Sorry : I wanted to put in a message but I hit " Submit"

Too Late now !!!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

i didn't see the video, but is this is sticky dough and then do you add more flour as you are using it?

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

David, we use the lb bag of yeast, just keep it in the frig.
    I am at remedial level in yeast breads, and man I had corn meal all over the place!

I made it the first time around when I think Lee posted it, where you let it rise overnight and used less yeast, and covered it with a bowl in the oven...It came out fine.

I had a little trouble with this recipe..it's me..I know..
    I followed it exactly. The bread iside was a little dense I thought. I don't know what I did wrong.

I then tried a piece to make pizza. I found it hard to work with, not like my usual pizza dough. But, I didn't keep adding flour, I was afraid it would ruin it. It came out awful looking, pitched it to the birds. And Maryanne, it is a sticky dough! I may never get it all out of my rings...

I am going to try it again, and I would really like to try the rye variation. Two other forums I post on are all ordering the book! The power of the internet..there must be a run on them!
    DH is the bread baker here, but I really wanted to master this as so many people have had good luck. It was getting me frustrated!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Maryanne, I did not add more flour to the Master Challah Dough. It was a beautiful dough as is.

I did use some of the Master Challah Dough to make my little dessert pizza for the Pizza Party. It was so easy to work with and it tasted perfect with the brie and candied dates.

Chase, I never use instant yeast. I just don't like the taste. I always dissolve yeast in a bit of warm water first no matter what the recipe says to do. And if the bread is a sweet bread I add a tad of honey to the yeast/water too. Bread is very versatile and you can do just about anything you want, I rarely follow a recipe as stated. For instance I bought a bottle of Chocolate Beer for the Almost No Knead Bread and I'm going to make the dough tomorrow and bake on Saturday.

Or maybe I should try Linda's version of the Artisan Bread and add the chocolate beer to it? So many breads to make and so little time. ;)

Michelle

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Michelle,

I love the sound of that chocolate beer used in the bread. As far as an experiment; I would mix up a half recipe of Master Challah & 1/2 of the Artisan w/the beer & see which tastes better with that addition.

I agree w/you regarding instant yeast, I much prefer the regular type & I follow through exactly as you have stated. Plus, I always want to be sure the yeast is working before proceeding.

Later today, I will be baking off the Challah once again (for my DS & DIL) & the Artisan, I'll return to post when completed.

Lucy

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks guys! So if I understand correctly, instant yeast goes directly into the ingredients similar to bread machine yeast.

Traditional yeast is dissolved in warm water first...got it!

PS: Lovely breads Lou!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I followed it exactly. The bread iside was a little dense I thought. I don't know what I did wrong.

Kathleen, Was it dense like not baked long enough? Or dense in the crumb was too tight?

Michelle

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Sharon, doesn't matter if I am using instant yeast or regular yeast I add it directly to the ingredients. i never dissolve it in warm water first or proof it. I go through so much yeast that I know that it is fresh so I never bother with that stage.

Ann

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, my dh said the same thing. I am just intimdated by it, I think.
    Michelle, I don't know..Can you diagnose from this pic?? lol
    I didn't want it to get too brown , and it sounded hollow...

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I think it looks great! But if it's a bit doughy then it probably needed to be baked a bit longer. But you can always toast it or put it under the broiler with cheese and some salsa or tomato sauce on it.

Next time bake it a bit longer and see if that makes a difference. Gorgeous color though!!!

Michelle

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

OhioMom and everyone who is making the artisan breads.. I copied and pasted OhioMom's recipe up higher on this thread right here.

IS THIS THE CORRECT RECIPE TO USE TO MAKE THE FIVE MINUTE ARTISAN BREAD EVERYONE IS USING???

The recipe is super easy (my kind of cooking/baking)
    3 cups warm water
    1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast
    1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
    6 1/2 cups flour

Pour the water in large container that has cover (I used my super-sized plastic mixing bowl with lid) ... mix in the yeast and salt ... I gave it a little whisk here, the video did not. Add flour all at once and stir well. Cover and let rise in warm place 2 hours, stick in fridge till needed.

Yep ... just that simple :)

I used 2 parts whole wheat, as I told Lucy I think we can play with this recipe.

I rolled out about 1/2 the dough, brushed with about 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, sprinkled raisins and nuts over all. Rolled up and sliced about 1/2 inch thick (I am guessing here:) ... laid them out on greased cookie sheet and let rise about 45 minutes. Baked at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Sorry for all the "abouts", I have a tendency not to do exact measurements.

Enjoy

• mamalou
    16 years ago

HELP!! Made this this morning, but what temp do you bake it at? Where is the link to the video??? HELP!!! Need it for dinner...should have watched the video first.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From the New York Times: More info than the video :)

Adapted from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)

Time: About 45 minutes plus about 3 hours resting and rising

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough

Cornmeal.

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

Yield: 4 loaves.

Variation: If not using stone, stretch rounded dough into oval and place in a greased, nonstick loaf pan. Let rest 40 minutes if fresh, an extra hour if refrigerated. Heat oven to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Place pan on middle rack.

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Had to chime in~
    I have been extremely busy with family ..All in a great way~
    Before that w/ work..
    And I am a fervent GB as you know and CF ..but follow many many of your posts since I got to know some of you:)
    So in a way I am a habitual ..known LURKER...Hope that's ok..

I did buy this book..and have made a few things..
    I wish my breads would rise higher..but I am totally enamoured w/ this book ..the recipes..and method.
    TOTALLY.
    Michelle..that serving plate is un bijou!

This morning I made a fougasse.. a boule and 2 ryes.. one for my DD returning from Palm Tree haven..

{{gwi:1491638}}

If anyone has a fear of baking bread..go for it~

• mamalou
    16 years ago

Thank you, Thank you Ohiomom for such a quick response!!!

I am so excited to try this!!

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fine looking breads in this thread :) I used up the dough I had left after making another pizza for the kids last night.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I can add my loaf from last night.

This bread made all those little crackling noises when I took it out of the over....I love that!

{{gwi:1489428}}

{{gwi:1489426}}

Baked until internal temp was 200 degrees, I used KA unbleached AP. I used the 1C of water, then also threw in 3 ice cubes... I got a great oven spring.

Nancy

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I wanted to use up my basic dough, which was eight days old, before I leave on a biz trip in the morning so I baked a boule.

And some cinnamon rolls.

{{gwi:1491641}}

Our house smelled good!

• mamalou
    16 years ago

My bread turned out GREAT!! Loved the crust and the texture was perfect! My husband LOVED it. Thanks for posting this wonder recipe. I will be using it over and over again!

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lee

Love the 'boule' (new word learned this week:) This dough makes a wonderful cinnamon roll also.

Mamalou ... congrats ! I am a new bread baker also, so the easier the better for me.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

oh i am so thankful to read monique's post and see her pix. i thought maybe i was doing something wrong, since i'm a 5 minute bread virgin. i didn't get a great rise either. it's in the oven now, i'm keeping my fingers crossed. monique, your breads look divine.

nancy, what a crust on that bread and i can only imagine how great your house smelled with the baking going on.

lee, that boule looks great. i too learned a new term. i'm sure your house smelled heavenly with all that baking going on.

i'm blown away by all the diversity with this one dough. incredible, isn't it?

maryanne

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

I found this thread interesting and tried that basic recipe that was posted. It turned out wonderfully and I had Barnes and Noble order the book for me.I had been given a gift card and that was a good way to use it.I look forward to trying the other recipes.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

WOW all these breads look so good! I just got the book too and will give it a go. M y sourdough experience has encouraged me to try more types of bread.

There are some interesting recipes in the book and judging by Monique's gorgeous "basket" full of breads they produce great results.