Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two bananas = how many cups?

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 13:08

I have a large container of mashed ripe bananas and a recipe that calls for 2 bananas. How does that translate into a scoop-able amount for my recipe? I'm guessing that it might be a cup and a quarter or a cup and a half?

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two bananas = how many cups?

3 small bananas is about 1 cup.
But I like banana over load, so I'd add atleast 1 cups worth to your recipe.

I have two bananas on the counter..Can you share your recipe?

o

I think as a general rule 3 avg sized bananas equals 1 cup of mashed.

Nancy

o

I have a scrawled recipe in a notebook that I must have copied from an online source while on my laptop and unable to print. If it is the one I used way back when it was really good. I'll make it in a wee bit and report back if it is indeed the right recipe.

I'll go with a cup of mooshed 'nana and let you know!

o

The Gourmet Sleuth website will translate amounts of just about any ingredient from one measure to another, plus give nutritional information to boot! I use it all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Sleuth website

o

Eileen:
Usually, 1 large bannana is 1 cup.
Does your recipe say what size bannana to use ?

Or, you could shape what you have, to 2 bannana's !!!!!
Make any sense ???
LOU

o

Usually, 1 large bannana is 1 cup.

That must be one freakin' big banana!! LOL

My banana cake recipe calls for 1 cup mashed banana, which is about 2-3 bananas depending on size

o

I made it with one cup of mashed bananas and it was a bit dry. My second one is in the oven and has 1-1/4 cups of 'nana. We'll see...

o

Khandi:
Your right. It took 1 large and a piece.
About 2 meduim size.
LOU

o

Now I see why weight measures are ALWAYS the most accurate way to indicate the amount of something - especially when it comes to the banana delema. I always purchase the smallest bananas I can find. When I read this thread I weighed the three I had and they were just under a pound. The "Yield Equivalencies" chart I had also gave banana weight - 2-pounds (3 medium bananas) = 2 c. mashed and 2-1/2 c. sliced.

Then I went to the link ovenbird shared (Gourmet Slueth) and converted the size (length) of the bananas to mashed bananas and it said 1.35 cups - which was almost exactly what they measured after being mashed. Thanks for the link ovenbird!

-Grainlady

o

Grainlady, your welcome. I love how that website defines fruit by description (small, medium, large) AND by size (inches). FYI - I found out about Gourmet Sleuth from some other post on gardenweb.

o

Grainlady:
That comes to about 2 meduim sized to a cup ???

Eileen:
How was the flavor ? Maybe your need to add something else .
so it won't be dry.
Why don't you put in the ingredients ? Someone might help.
Where the bananas ripe ?
LOU

o

I am reduced to trying to bake in a toaster oven. I scorched both loaves. Who the hell knows how they taste? They just taste dry and scorched.

o

barnmom - What a darn shame! It's like when hubby comes home for lunch after I've had a morning of baking something that ends up in the trash. I tell him all he gets is the smell - which is VERY low-cal, low-fat ;-). -Grainlady

Some hints for using a toaster oven for baking...

1. Don't try and use a large 9x5-inch loaf pan in a toaster oven for quick breads. That's just too much bulk for a small oven to handle. Try a recipe that uses a 7-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 2-inch pan, or smaller, works much better.

2. Make sure you preheat the oven, just like you would a large oven.

CHERRY-BANANA LOAF
(source: Better Homes and Gardens TOASTER OVEN Cook Book)

1/3 c. sugar
3 T. shortening
1 egg
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
dash salt
1/3 c. mashed banana
1/4 c. drained maraschino cherries, quartered
3 T. chopped walnuts

In small mixer bowl cream together the sugar and shortening till well blended. Add egg; beat well. Stir together all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine the mashed banana and milk. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the banana mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the quartered maraschino cherries and chopped walnuts.

Turn the batter into 3 well-greased 4-1/2x2-1/2x1-1/2 inch loaf pans. Bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or till bread tests done. Remove loaves from oven; let bread cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 3 loaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here