SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marigene_gw

Sol.....almond brioche

Marigene
16 years ago

Would you share your almond brioche recipe or tell me which cookbook it is in? They look like something my husband would love to sink his teeth into.

Comments (8)

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marigene, I'm sorry I have to get ready for work, but I'll make sure to type it up for you tomorrow.

Sol

• Marigene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ttt

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Marigene, I didn't forget to post the recipe; my computer was moving at glacier speed yesterday, and I gave up trying to post.

Anyway, this recipe (which appears painfully long because I was thorough, but isn't really) is from the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day."
    The almond filling is exactly the same color as the brioche, so the filling will go unnoticed. Btw, I didn't care for the sugary topping called for, and would've preferred a simple glaze instead. Other than that, these rolls were fine.
    I also used the basic brioche dough to make the Cinnamon Rolls I posted on the previous WFD thread, and liked it just a tad more than the almond filling in these rolls because -to me- the almond flavor wasn't as pronounced as I would've liked.

Almond Brioche Bostock

1 pounds Brioche dough (recipe follows)
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
    ½ cup almond paste
    ¼ cup unbleached AP flour
    1 egg
    ¼ teaspoon orange-flower water (optional)
    ¼ teaspoon almond extract
    ¼ cup sugar, pluse more for dusting the greased pan
    Zest from half an orange
    ½ cup sliced natural almonds (raw and unsalted)

Cream together the butter, almond paste, flour, egg, orange-flower water and almond extract in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.

Brioche

1½ cups lukewarm water
    1½ tablespoons granulated yeast
    1½ tablespoons salt
    8 eggs, beaten
    ½ cup honey
    1½ cups unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for greasing the pan
    7½ cups unbleached AP flour

Mix the yeast, salt, eggs, honey, and melted butter with the water in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container.

Mix in the flour without kneading, using a spoon, a 14-cup capacity food processor (with dough attachment) or a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook (I used the latter).

Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temp. until dough rises and collapses, approximately 2 hours.

The dough can be used as soon as it's chilled after the initial rise. Refrigerate and use over the next 5 days. Beyond the 5 days, freeze the dough in 1-pound portions in airtight container for up to 4 weeks. When using frozen dough, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using, then allow the usual rest and rise times.

Defrost the dough overnight, if frozen. On baking day, grease a 9x4x3-inch nonstick loaf pan. Dust the surface of the chilled dough with flour and cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit size) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and shape into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go.

Roll out the ball into a ¼" thick rectangle, using a little flour to prevent sticking to the work surface.
    Spread the almond cream evenly over the rectangle, leaving a 1" border all around. Roll up the dough, jelly-roll style, starting at the long end, and seal the bare edges. The dough will be soft, so chill the log for about 15 minutes in the freezer before cutting it.*

Generously grease 8-inch round pan ** with butter. Sprinkle the greased pan with granulated sugar.
    Cut the chilled dough into 8 equal pieces. Place them evenly in the prepared pan, so that the swirled cut edge is facing upward. Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.

Twenty minutes*** before baking time, preheat the oven to 350°F. Just before baking, mix together the sugar, orange zest and almonds and sprinkle over the brioche. Bake until golden brown an well set in the center, about 40 minutes.
    Run a knife around the inside of the pan to release the brioche wile it's still hot and invert onto a serving dish. If you let it sit too long the rolls will stick to the pan.

*On a fickle whim, I decided to follow instructions and sliced the dough using a knife as recommended. Big, sticky mistake.
    So I quickly abandoned that step and cut the dough as I've done ad infinitum, by using good ol' fishing line. Fishing line works much better than a knife with soft doughs. And by using fishing line you don't have to bother chilling the dough. Btw, you could also use unflavored dental floss.

**I used a 9" round pan as opposed to the 8" round pan, and the rolls just fit in the larger pan.

***I preheated my oven for at least 30 minutes.

Sol

• Marigene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for posting, Sol. I just got that cookbook but haven't had a chance to go through it, other than the basic recipe, which makes the best bread!

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Mine just came today too, would also like to know which ones are favorites.

Shelley

• bons
    16 years ago

..and I'm tapping my foot waiting impatiently for mine to be delivered! (hopefully tomorrow)

Bonnie

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Fishing line..now that I have..can't ever seem to find unflavored floss though..Thanks Sol for another great tip!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I've had my book for almost two weeks and wanted to take it on my biz trip but I forgot it. I've only made the basic recipe twice but the brioche will happen this weekend.

Thanks Sol, as always your pictures are glorious.

Lee

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH