SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancylouise44_gw

Fun volunteer cooking project we are doing (Long Post)

nancylouise5me
12 years ago

Our local very active historical society sent out it's monthly newsletter. In it was a request for volunteer cooks. They have started up their monthly "Cooking on the Hearth" dinners in the Tavern. I contacted the woman in charge and got info on what we would have to do. She told us we would be prepping and cooking in the back in the "modern" kitchen. It sounded like fun so Wayne and I said sign us up. She invited us to be quests at last months dinner so we could get a feel as to what would be going on. Well, to say they have a "modern" kitchen is a bit of a stretch.lol There is no cook top or stove. They use hot plates to cook. They do have 2 small ovens and a fridge. The hot plates only work from one outlet so there goes most of the counter space. They don't even have a veggie peeler. But that is ok. We are game. We have the equipment from our home catering that will do were they are lacking.

The menu will reflect foods that were available in Colonial times but with a nod to people's taste of today.

We worked out the menu to be;

Cod Cakes with pepper relish, corn chowder, oatmeal bread with honey butter, pommes anna with butternut squash and rosemary,parsnips with winter greens cooked with bacon,Top round roast and for dessert Indian pudding with vanilla bean ice cream. There will be apple cider and water as beverage (it is byob).

We will be cooking the roast in our oven at home. It will be finished off at the hearth. We are also making the pommes anna, Indian pudding, corn chowder and oatmeal bread. They have a large beehive oven at the hearth so at least one pan of each thing will be made authentically. The rest of the items will be made in the back modern kitchen. We have a sell out already of 32 people. The dinner is this Friday. Wayne and I have to dress up also. They have a costume that will fit me but Wayne was a bit of a problem. He is 6"3" 225lbs. One of the ladies that is cooking at the hearth also sews so she cut the legs off a pair of Wayne's old tweed pants and made knickers or breeches(whatever they are called). He will be carving the roast for the dinner guests so he had to be in costume. I may have to help serve so I needed one too. As added entertainment, there will be a colonial soldier stopping by looking for food and a bed to sleep in for the night on his way through heading home. He will be sitting with the dinner guests in each room and talking, telling them of his travels and stories. Sounds like fun. I'm going to try and take some pictures inbetween cooking. So that is what I'll be doing this Friday. Wish us luck! NancyLouise

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations