Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking/baking with Benefiber

Posted by donnar57 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 12:43

Has anyone ever added Benefiber (or similar product) to things they have cooked or baked?

I've added a little to my cooking, where I thought it would be appropriate. But I'm not sure what ratio I should use. The jar calls for 2 tsp as a serving (3g of fiber).

My husband isn't fond of "whole wheat" rolls, bread, or anything. So I have to resort to making the low-fat white breads and biscuits more fibrous by adding the wheat-dextrin based Benefiber to the baking and cooking.

The good news is that he's going to be changing shifts, and I should actually see him home for dinner 4 days a week (instead of 2). I think his boss is doing that to get DH back on track, frankly - citing company finances. (Yes, I have great respect for DH's boss - T. calls himself "a heart case waiting to happen" - but T. has taken steps to make sure he lives a heart-healthy lifestyle and has now a new project - one of his favorite workers. T came to see DH in the hospital, which I thought was VERY nice.)

Any help regarding the Benefiber, I would appreciate. (I already checked Benefiber's website, which only said "add it to your cooking and baking", but not HOW.)

Thanks,
DonnaR/CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking/baking with Benefiber

I checked Benefiber's web site and they had a large selection of recipes (see link below).

Personally, I avoid commercial fiber products and use a large selection of foods for fiber, including flaxmeal (I mill it in a coffee/spice mill at home), chia seeds, coconut flour, whole grains, unsweetened coconut, fruit of all kinds, nuts, beans and bean flour, vegetables, etc.

Fiber isn't one thing like bran or oats - it's pectin, cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin (lots of that in flaxmeal), gums and mucilages, and you get those from a variety of foods.

I add flaxmeal to almost everything I bake, which is an easy way to increase the fiber. I also prefer WHITE WHEAT to mill into flour because it is less bitter and easier to use with whole wheat haters. King Arthur has a white wheat flour product, but I mill my own.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefiber Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here