SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

How Do You Organize Your Kitchen?

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I'm really starting to drown under everything I have! And I'm not really a "gadget" person, so everything I have is pretty useful and I only have a few things that I don't use alot. I do have some storage in the basement so most of the things I only use once or twice a year - huge pots that only are needed over the holidays for large crowds, etc., I keep down there.

But I still have way more than my cabinets can hold and I'm so sick of having to get down on the floor and take out half the cabinet to crawl way in back to get what I need!

I took a page from Julia Child's book - I didn't go with the pegboard, but I had hubby mount strips of wood on one wall of the back hall where you come in the back door, and he put hooks up for all my pots and pans and lids. I only have one lid left over that there just was no room for. The wall is the one you open the kitchen door into and the depth of the woodwork was just enough that you open the door fine and don't bang into anything. It was wasted space and now that I can keep all those things hung up, I have three complete pull out shelves and a bit of another cabinet freed up. Now I can put some of those other things in handier places that I can get to more easily.

I collect (among other things) kitchen items from the 30's, 40's, and 50's so I have some containers I had packed away and I'm keeping some of the tools that used to be lost inside drawers in those right on the counter and that freed up drawer space as well.

I do plan on a kitchen remodel down the line - I keep waffling between just doing new counters, backsplash and floor, or doing a complete remodel, but one way or the other I want to put in an island and store my cookbooks there as well. I have them on a shelf and being short, they're a little higher than I'd like them.

How do you all store your cookery items and do you have any cool tips on keeping things handy, but not in the way of everything?

Lisa

Comments (102)