Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Essential Pepin

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 12:01

Just caught this show for the first time - is it old and in reruns?

My my, he made bread look so simple and all with this lovely mild french accent. And the way he chopped garlic. So matter of fact.
I liked the laid back approach such a relief after some of the newer cooking celebrities.
He's an older guy but I love french accents and his simple approach....I felt just a little swooney (new word:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Essential Pepin

I've had a crush on Jacques for many years. Love his gentle style, simple techniques, delicious food. He was always very polite and respectful of Julia Child, even when he disagreed with her. I am in love with him...and Paul McCartney!

o

Jacques Pepin is one of my all time favorite tv chefs. Well, chefs that have had tv shows. He's certainly not just a chef on tv. He was Charles De Gaulle's personal chef while he was head of state, as well as other head of state of France. His first tv shows were in the 80's. About 5 years before she died he did a show with Julia Child called Julia and Jacques Cook at Home. Pretty funny, those two. He's had a number of PBS shows over the years. He had his daughter working with him on several of them. The Essential Pepin is his latest PBS show. Think it just started airing last year.

o

How funny - I just ordered this cookbook (used for $5). I also ordered his Fast Food My Way (I think it was $4 plus shipping).

o

I have met him in person once. He is exactly the same in person.

I watch his shows all the time. I wish he would treat his daugther better on his shows. She is just like a hired help.

dcarch

o

I like him a lot also, although I'm sorry to read that about his daughter. I much prefer people who have a reputation for being genuinely nice in real life. I've seen quite a few of his TV shows but I don't think I've seen any with her.

I'm mainly posting here to say that a lot of his shows can be watched online. Just Google Jacques Pepin TV and you'll get links to most of his series. YouTube is also a great resource to watch him.

Lee

o

I'm with you, sherrmann: Pepin and McCarthy, ooooh yeah!

I get the impression that Pepin would like for his daughter to be more interested in cooking, but I don't sense that she really is. A lovely young woman, for certain, but she just doesn't seem to be "into" it.

o

"---I am in love with him...and Paul McCartney! "

I have not seen Paul McCartney's cooking shows. :-)

dcarch

o

We'll seems like I've missed a lot of Pepin over the years. Will keep an eye out for him now.

o

He's on in my area of NJ at 2 different times most Saturdays... PBS & NJ Network. As for whether new or repeats, often half way thru and episode before I realize I've seen it before.

Have never met him (or Sir Paul)... but would love to! Have a feeling either would be good guests whether you were serving filet mignon or burgers!?!

o

"Have never met him (or Sir Paul)... but would love to! Have a feeling either would be good guests whether you were serving filet mignon or burgers!?!"

Doubt it. Isn't Sir Paul vegan?

o

I've never met either of them but I do like them both.

Elery bought me the book and DVD, and I love the book, I've been just paging through it. The DVD is VERY basic, I already know how to slice vegetables, etc., but I've given it to Ashley, we'll see if she ever uses it, LOL.

He got his start in the US at Howard Johnson's, according to the book!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here