Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate chip cookies---Finally a winner for me!

Posted by momto4kids (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 11:44

A long time ago, I posted a request for help to turn my flat-as-a-pancake-with-chocolate-chip-pyramids cookies into a thicker, chewy chocolate chip cookie, a la bakery style. I tried all the recipes offered. I have finally discovered one one that works for me in my ovens! Found the recipe on "Allrecipes." The cookies taste great and they come out big and thick, fully cooked (!), chewy in the middle (not cake-like), crunchy on the outside.

Photobucket">

Here's the recipe:

Bakery-style Chocolate Chip Cookies
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.

3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.

4. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt.

5. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.

6. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.

7. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned. [I had to bake for about 15 minutes]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate chip cookies---Finally a winner for me!

That has 1/2 cup more sugar than the original Toll House cookie recipe printed for years and years on the back of the package of nestle chocolate chips.
I have been making that recipe for years and years. Next time try it with 2/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup of brown. I think it'll be just as good and won't get so hard on the second or third day.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda. I'm glad the Nestle recipe has worked for you for years and years, but it does not work for me. I have tried it over and over and over. That's why I forged ahead for a new recipe. I tried every proportion of white/brown sugar and still got basically the same flat pancake cookie. Even Sol's recipe resulted in pancake cookies for me. I've refrigerated dough, etc, etc, etc. I've done it all.

This recipe above indeed has more sugar and it has 3/4 cup more flour. Trust me, these cookies are NOT hard on the second or third day. I've easily made 20 batches since I discovered this recipe, always with the same perfect results. More than I can say for any other recipe I've tried. I think I'll stick with it! :)

As I said, this recipe works for me. I am so happy to have finally found a thick, chewy cookie!!!

o

momto4kids - Thanks for posting the recipe. I will definitely try these. I'm sure my kids and grandkids will love them. We go through a lot of cookies!!

o

They look good to me. And, by what you say, the perfect texture! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Lori

o

Deb, I'm also glad you found that cookie, the Nestle recipe used to work for me, now it doesn't, for some reason, unless I add about a cup of extra flour. Like you I've refrigerated the dough, left it sit overnight, fiddled with the ratio of white sugar to brown, used shortening, margarine, butter.

I'm going to give yours a try. Right now, though, I'm making yellow/white cakes for Ashley and Kevin to taste so they can pick a wedding cake recipe. Then I'm going to make a huge batch in the Magic Mill and I think I'm going to try making the fondant in there too. Oh, and I think I can get all 6 Texas sheet cakes in there at once!

Annie

o

Congrats to you Deb....and no Vultures! : ) Love, love CCC's.

Annie, didn't know you had a Magic MIll. That's been my dream machine for years...still dreaming though. I'm blaming it on Ann and her pics from years ago.

David

o

Thanks for posting that recipe Deb. The Nestle recipe no longer works for me either. It sounds like the perfect texture for us.

Linda

o

I've had good results and bad results following the recipe on the back and have no idea why the difference.
Could it be a difference in flour? Hard vs. soft depending on time of year bought?

Glad you found something that works for you consistently. It can be frustrating not to mention expensive.

o

I'll have to try those too..

My "new" recipe is one that starts with melted butter..and I've found I like to let it get a bit "browned" first..little extra layer of flavors.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies based on The Newbie Kitchen/Smitten Kitchen

Recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour or 1.5 unbleached AP and .5 oat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and browned just slightly
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time (for giant cookies) or a tablespoon at a time (for smaller cookies) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
5. Bake larger cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller ones (check your cookies before they’re done; depending on your scoop size, your baking time will vary) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

o

David, I'm glad to see you here, I was afraid you got whacked with another blizzard and lost power!

Yes, Deb sent me her Magic Mill just before Amanda's wedding, and I used it to make those 30 dozen dinner rolls, plus the wedding cake. Now I'm going to use it to make Ashley's wedding cakes and I'm kind of considering giving it a trial run on pasta too!

It can sure handle a LOT of flour...

Annie

o

Thanks for the discussion and recipes. I, too, struggle with the original Toll House cookie recipe. I switched over to that NY Times recipe where you use cake and bread flour and chill the dough, with good results, but I don't always have cake flour. I'd like to try these two recipes, too - because you can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes now, can you??

Also, I could swear that the recipe that was on the back of the Nestle bag when my grandma and I used to make cookies together - about 50 years ago - called for 2 teaspoons of milk. I can't find anything about that anywhere, though, so maybe I imagined it. Or maybe Grandma just added the milk herself.

o

Yum, they look perfect! I never had any luck with the Nestle recipe either. The recipe I've used for 30 years has Crisco and equal amounts of brown and white sugars. I don't bake any more, but your cookie looks like something I'd like to sink my teeth into!

o

Isn't it awesome when you find a recipe that works for you?

I always feel compelled to do a victory dance whenever I hit a home run.

Sol

o

Can anyone put their finger on why the Toll House recipe isn't working NOW? I happen to have the Toll House Tried and True Recipes cookbook and just checked and the only difference I can see is that in the book it said to put the 1 teaspoon soda into 1 teasp. of hot water first. Other than that the ingredients are the same.

The cookbook says that it's printed in 1977 and is the same "unaltered" as it was when printed in 1949.

o

arkansas girl, if anyone could put their finger on that, I'd like to know too.

I've used light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, different ratios of white to brown. I've used Pillsbury flour, Robin Hood, Gold Medal, King Arthur. I've considered the size of a large egg now compared to a large egg in the 40s. I've let the batter sit in the refrigerator overnight and I've let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours and I've baked it immediately. I've used butter and shortening and margarine and a combination of those.

I've stirred by hand, I've used the Danish dough whisk that Renee sent me, I've used the KitchenAid. I've beaten longer and I've beaten shorter times. I've used shiny aluminum pans and dark pans and pans with sides and pans without sides and with parchment paper and on a silpat and just on the sheet.

Still, unless I add that extra flour, the cookies come out flat and crisp. so, in my instance, it seems that the amount of flour is the key, but why did that amount work before and not now? Beats me.

and I don't even particularly care for chocolate chip cookies, LOL, good thing my kids and grandkids are happy to eat as many as I care to bake in my effort to get them to be the way they used to be.

Annie

o

A fitting epitaph for me would be "She tried every chocolate chip cookie recipe there ever was." Looks like I will be doing some more baking today. Thanks for posting this!

Tracey

o

Ok -- I used to make the best CC cookies but then I sort of lost my mojo with them.

I just made a batch a few minutes ago for my little girl's V-day party tomorrow -- they are awesome! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside -- not to high, not too flat.

Here is what I did:

Followed the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook -- it is identical to the Toll House recipe but ONLY ONE EGG

I used Land o Lakes margarine (expensive for margarine) -- I know many of you hate margarine but it really gives good results.

Did not pack in the flour in the measuring cups (by the way, my SIL bought me KitchenAid brand measuring cups and I finally figured out they hold more more than they should).

Used a hand beater to cream ingredients and also used it to get started mixing in dry ingredients.

Used a cookie scoop and only put 9 cookies on each tray.

Convection bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool on sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.

Yum! It is amazing how tricky these cookies can be.

o

Momto4kids, thank you for posting your recipe, I definitely will be giving this a try! I had made Nestles Chocolate Chip Cookies for over 30 years, it was one of my first sucessful baking endeavors as a child! I made the recipe with Crisco, always and they turned out perfect! Over the past year or so I've learned that Crisco made changes to their shortening, making the texture of the cookies different! My mom still swears by Nestles CCC, but I've looked for other recipes, I just don't like the texture of them anymore.
Thank you again,
Gina

o

Put me in the "why can't I make chocolate chip cookies like I used to anymore?" camp. I started putzing around with recipes, temps., more brown than white sugar, butter, refrigerating ... gah! This shouldn't be rocket science, for goodness sakes. What happened?

I just want my old cookies.

Momto4kids, I bought butter today in honor of your inspirational picture -- your picture depicts the cookies that I remember. I just need some time.

Cathy in SWPA

o

Momto4, does your recipe taste similar to the Toll House cookies? Those are the ONLY chocolate cookies I like, but I too get the flat cookies. I'm okay with that, but I'll try your recipe if it has a similar flavor.

Sue

o

I almost never post (perpetual lurker!) but I just wanted to say...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I don't feel quite so crazy anymore.

I used to bake cookies all. the. time. and was quite good at it. The past couple of years, however, I cannot make a CCC to save my life. I've tried a million different recipes. I've tried butter, margarine, every combination thereof. I've tried different baking sheets. I've tried parchment paper, silicone sheets. But every single time, the cookies are a disaster. Last time I ended up in tears, and said never again.

I'll try this recipe, but if this one doesn't work, I give up.

o

OK so I've been wanting to make CCC for a while before this thread started and wanted to make an OLD recipe that I never made, the Copy Cat recipe of Mrs Fields cookies. So I already had it in my head that was the one I was making. I just made them and they turned out flat too! The last batch I made were those Neiman Marcus ones with the processed oatmeal. That one was great because of the oatmeal flour! So the next batch I'll try will be these and see how that goes.

I'm sure these I just made will be delicious but still they are pretty doggon flat. I'm sure I won't be crying when I'm eating these though...HEEHEE!

o

YES! YES! YES! I'm NOT the only one after all!!! I, too, used to make the back-of-the-bag recipe for years and had great success. Only to find in recent years, my CCCs were consistently coming out to be duds! Pancakes! I don't want chocolate chip pancakes!! The only recipe that somewhat worked for me in the recent past has been Sol's. Sometimes, they'd be a hit; then, sometimes, they'd be a miss. I couldn't always count on the outcome even though I thought I was doing the precise same thing each time. I've been VERY consistent with this particular recipe! Huge thanks to Sol...I kept plugging along because your recipe was the only one that gave me some success!

Yes, these taste like the Nestle kind...not too molasses-y, not too baking soda-ish, not too greasy...you all know what I mean if you've been down the path of "I've tried every recipe."

***ligirlatheart...YES! I was feeling EXACTLY the same!!! I was NOT going to let these things get the best of me!

What a boost! Thank you everyone! Please post your results! I'd love to know!

As to the question of why don't the T&T recipes work anymore...why don't they? I know the about the Crisco thing, but what about the other?

o

I was just reading through a cookie problem list I believe it was at a site called baking911.com. Just as everyone has said, the butter would cause the flatness. That's about the only thing I can think of but there again, why the sudden problem? There was also a page at their site that addressed just the Tole house problem. They gave a whole list of things to change but my gosh...why should you have to jump through hoops to get the same cookie you used to make when you were 10y/o? HA!

o

These turned out great for me. Only change was to use bread flour and bake for twelve minutes. Love the flavor!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

They got the thumbs up at this house. Thanks. I was actually able to get some baked even with all the dough snitchers.

o

I'll gladly give up my Toll House chocolate chip pancakes for ones like I used to make! Glad to know it wasn't just me. Thanks for the recipe.

o

I have always used all butter with the old Toll house recipe....so the change in the margerine formula doesn't hold water.
I personally think it had to do with the flour...I never sift or fluff for TH cookies,,,,perhaps the flour is "fluffier" now than in the 60's?
But I also never hesitate to add a little more flour if the dough doesn't feel right. I stir....make a test couple of cookies, and if they are flat, add more flour.
I never ever add flour to anything by measure...or even by weight, because flour differs from brand to brand, from month to month and according to the weather.

o

Since most seem to be having issues using the same recipe; I wonder if Nestle changed the formulation of their chips? My friend uses Hershey's chips & doesn't have that problem. If I'm baking cookies; I soften butter over night by taking all the sticks out of the package & laying them on a cooling rack. I don't make chocolate chip cookies that often; my specialty is peanut butter & rolled cookies using cream cheese.

o

I used that recipe last year and it was fantastic. Just curious about hot water and the soda--what does it do? I believe it's the secret to this recipe.

o

roselvr--I had issues with Hershey's chips, too. I can't use Nestle since I have a peanut allergy child. Oh, I would LOVE your peanut butter cookie recipe!! Poor Michael won't get any!

love2weed--I wonder about that, too...but I quit trying to figure it out! I have now made many, many, many batches of these CCC and they have never, ever failed me! So, I'm not going to analyze it anymore! Haha!!

o

momto4kids...you are still using the first recipe listed?

What brand of flour do you use? Do you think that makes any difference?

I never did make these...shame shame...but hubby is in great need of CCC NOW! HA!

o

The last time I made the Nestle Toll House I mixed different brand chips & can't recall what they looked like.

I made a new post for the recipe. Skippy has other variations on their site from what I remember. I originally got it a long time ago; then moved & lost my copy; had to write skippy for it; back before the net days. It's the only peanut butter cookie recipe my hub loves. If anyone else makes peanut butter cookies; he'll take a bite & throw it away because it's not the same lol

Skippy Classic peanut butter cookies

o

arkansas girl...I use KA flour exclusively. Don't know if that helps. Yes, this is the only recipe I use. I've been asked to bake a lot of CCCs ever since I found this recipe! Haha! It never, ever fails me (unlike the others).

roselvr...thank you!!!

o

Has anyone tried doing the toll house with a mixer; then a batch by hand? I "found" this post because it's linked to on the decorating conversations here

One gal hand mixed & they were fine.

o

Is there more water in butter than there used to be or is that somehow regulated? I always get the feeling that butter is more watery than it once was. Maybe that would affect some T&T recipes such as this?

o

My son LOVES white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. Can I make this recipe and just use white chocolate chips and some chopped macadamia nuts (maybe 1/2 to 1 cup), and have success?

We are having a dessert social after church next Sunday night and I won't have much practice baking time.

I would LOVE to surprise him.

Betty

o

My mother always used the Toll House recipe, except she used half Crisco and half butter. She said if you used all butter, they would turn out too hard. I remember sometimes she would add extra flour also.

o

Argh!!

I just made this recie and they came out flat. Any idea what I did wrong?

I used...

Domino cane sugar
Domino light brown sugar
Gold Medal all-purpose flour
Eggland large organic eggs
Arm & Hammer Baking soda
boiling water
Morton's salt
Ghiradelli chips
Neilsen-Massey vanilla

All of my ingredients (except eggs) were bought fresh in December for holiday baking. I baked with parchment paper on insulated cookie sheets in a well-preheated oven.

I was so excited to have beautiful cookies like momto4kids photo, but no such luck...

Nicole

o

No butter or other fat?

o
one more thing...

Oops, forgot to add I use Land o'Lakes salted butter.

Nicole

o

Ah, Nicole...I just saw this! I used Land o'Lakes unsalted butter. The butter is just soft. If it's too soft, the cookies may go flat. Sometimes, if I'm doing too many things at once, I put the dough on the cookie sheet (2 oz ball per cookie) and put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes. I don't always do that...just if I think my butter has gotten too warm.

I use everything you use...except King Arthur flour and Hershey's chips.

This recipe never ever fails me!! Never. I make it at least twice a week because the kids use them for bartering at school!

o
butter

I don't think my butter was too soft. It came out of the fridge and sat on the marble counter for two hours before baking. My kitchen is cold (65* - 67*) and marble is cold, so I was actually concerned the butter wasn't soft enough! It was pliable, but not easily spreadable (if that tells you anything).

I've always been intimidated by King Arthur flour. I know there is some kind of protein difference than most flours, and aren't you supposed to use less than other flours?

Nicole

o
RE: Chocolate chip cookies---We'll figure it out

Well,, geez...I can't figure this out! My kitchen's not as cold, for sure! I do the same routine, though. I take it out of the fridge, put it directly on the marble, do the morning school runs...then I'm back to it a couple hours later. The butter is pliable as you say. Hmmm.

Oh, I do just use hot, hot water out of the tap, not boiling. Could the boiling water be too hot?

As for the proteins, etc, I am intimidated by all that, too! :) I don't adjust the amount. I will say, I DO use a scale for all my measurements, just 'cuz. I read somewhere it's more accurate. I just don't mess with anything in the process because I've finally gotten a recipe that works. Ugh...why isn't it working for you??!!

o

nigel bigel, my cookies came out looking exactly like the ones that tracey OH posted a picture of. Just the other day I was sick and reading a Betty Crocker Cookbook and ran across a suggestion in the baking cookie section. What it suggested is this: make one test cookie first and if it goes flat to add 1 or 2 TBS flour to your batch. I really think it's the flour...just not enough flour, it only takes a little bit too little to make a flat cookie. I never refrigerate my batter for a CCC. Over mixing could also make a difference, I make my cookies by hand after I cream the butter and sugar with a hand mixer...sometimes literally with my hands if the dough is really stiff.

o

Hi - I've only posted here a few times but wanted to add another wonderful recipe to this discussion. It's the one on the label of the butter flavored crisco can. i have made it for years and it is wonderful! lot's of compliments and pretty much turns out the same every time. crispy outside and chewy inside. it isn't overly thick or thin but seems to vary a bit depending on whether you use a mixer or stir by hand, with the hand stirring being a little thicker. just thought i would throw out another way to make a great chocolate chip!

o

momto4kids - how long do you cream the butter and sugar? My butter and sugar were incorporated and smooth, but I stopped then. Poking around the web I saw some advice that said to cream together for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. I wonder if that would help.

Thanks arkansasgirl, I will try the flour measurement next time. I always spoon the flour into the cup to avoid packing it, maybe it is too light. I wouldn't have expected a tablespoon or two to make much of a difference.

jae tn - thanks for the recommendation!

I tasted the cookies after they cooled and they are very tasty, crispy edges and chewy middles. They just don't look pretty like the picture. Evn DH looked at them and said, "They look fine, just like your cookies always look.". Then I showed him the photo and he was smitten, "Those look REALLY good! Yea, yours don't even come close.".

Nicole

o

back again regarding the Crisco butter flavored recipe. we just made it and it probably isn't as thick as you are looking for. the taste is wonderful and i still recommend it but probably for those who like the thinner type cookie. didn't want anyone to be disappointed. i want to try he recipes here and wish i had today!

o

Nicole,
I definitely cream the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy. Sometimes, I think I've gone too far and that's why I panic and pop it all in the fridge just before it goes in the oven! I do that maybe 1/4 of the time. I also make sure my dough is dropped in a ball shape...high stacked vs flat. Hmmm. Hope that helps. I'll be making some more today...so I'll pay close attention to what I'm doing in case there is anything I do that isn't in the directions. I'll come back later today.

o

Thanks Mom.

Yesterday I was obsessed with CCCs. I was on-line for hours trying to find the perfect recipe that would address my problems. I found an interesting recipe on the Cooking for Engineers site - the recipe was pretty basic but the guy said the technique was very important. First you cream the butter and sugar a long time (3 minutes) and then in a separate bowl you beat the eggs and vanilla together, then drizzle them into the butter mixture VERY slowly. Finally, he insists that you chill before baking.

Chilling never makes much of a difference for me but I am feeling very challenged by this problem, so I'm willing to try anything. But you want to know the funny thing? I am on a very restrictive lo-carb diet and not eating any of these cookies!

I packed some of your cookies in my DDs lunches today and I must add that they are still soft. I really want your recipe to work for me...

Nicole

o

LOL! Nicole! I am determined to help make this work for you! I was soooo happy I finally found something that worked and I stopped getting the flat pancake cookies. I did make some CCCs just now. I'll upload pix I took along the way just to see if that helps you at all in terms of what mine look like. Today, I had repair folks in and out all morning and I wasn't as focused as I would have like to have been. I did NOT put the cookie sheets in the fridge before baking, though I wanted to! I had so many interruptions, I was afraid the dough was too warm. Anyway, the cookies came out same as usual, pretty thick. So, I don't think the fridge would have mattered too much.

Oh...I use the handmixer all the way up until time to add the chips. I fold in the chips by hand.

I stuck an instant read thermometer in the butter just as I started. It was 74 degrees.

Here is the creamed butter and sugars:
Whipped butter, sugars
The dough was 74 degrees at this point.

Here is what it looks like after adding each egg, separately,
After adding eggs
Notice the temp dropped to 66 degrees because of the cold eggs.

Here it is at 71 degrees after adding flour:
after adding flour

After adding the chips:
after adding chips

On the cookie sheet:
2oz dough balls

Just so you can get an idea of the size of the dough blobs:
just for visual scale

Just out of the oven!! They're about 3/4 inch thick:
finished...about 3/4in thick

I hope this helps in some way. I was a mad woman determined to find a bakery-style CCC that worked for me...so I feel your pain!! :)

o

Those are some pretty big dough blobs...that could help with the bigger, thicker cookies plus I wonder if that mat helps too. I just discovered parchment paper...everyone needs it! HA! Love that stuff, where's it been all my life!?

Something else I had forgotten to mention when I said how my cookies turned out. I do not use any name brand butter, or sugar but I was using the Gold Medal Flour (AP). I can't use the hand mixer for the dough, it's too heavy for my particular mixer and I don't feel like dragging out the big mixer.

o

I too cant find the one I like,I tried them all.I like the chochlate chip cookies ,not thick,chewey,mine are always thick cake like.I think part of the problem is the stove,my daughter hates my Aga.

o

Oh Mom, you are a doll for doing all of that! I really appreciate the pics. If anything my batter was a little colder - our thermostat is set to 69* and the kitchen is a little colder than the rest of the house, too.

I think a big difference between yours and mine is that your blobs are bigger. I use a scoop for uniformity and they are like golf balls with a flat bottom. It just occurred to me that because mine are so rounded that might explain why yours are so much more seductively craggy? Also, would my rounded dough be more apt to spread? Maybe that is the answer...

Thanks again for your tutorial! I might try again tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens!

Nicole

Have to add, I just showed your pics to DH the engineer. He thinks the difference is the Silpat. Something I never thought of! I actually have a Silpat but use parchment because I can throw it away when I am done - LOL! I have a dozen unbaked cookies still in the fridge. I will bake them tomorrow and see if...

A- The Silpat makes a difference
B - Chilling makes a difference
C - If size makes a difference

In the meantime, DH is all excited to test his theory...

Thanks again Mom, you have been so helpful and the pictures are great!

o

nigel, I want to reiterate that my cookies come out looking exactly as the picture posted by Tracey OH, with that said, I use a cookie scoop also so they will be all perfectly the same size. I think mine is considered medium size. I do not flatten them down either. My cooking sheet is a nice heavy duty jelly roll pan from Chicago Metallic with a sheet of parchment paper. My cookies aren't as fluffy looking as momto4's are. Speaking of that, I also heard that cookies should be baked on pans without sides...don't ask me where I read it but I did but I'm not going to run out and buy even more pans...HAHAHA!!!

o

Nicole! Anytime! There are only 4 cookies left from today's 2 dozen! Grrr! I expected them to last at least 2 days!!

Arkansas Girl...I've heard that, too, about no sides! I don't use the heavy duty jelly roll sheets for these either. I just use cheapo cookie sheets (no sides) that I've had for years.

I used to use parchment paper. I find, even though I loathe washing them, I prefer the siplats. Maybe the silpat keeps them from spreading so much?? Plus, I'm trying to quit using so much stuff I have to throw away! I know my former pancake cookies were crispier...but I attributed that to their flatness vs the parchment paper, but who knows!

I'll bet the chilling will make some difference...but maybe it's the size that makes a bigger difference. I have tried and tried to use a scoop and I can't get the dough out of the doggone thing. So, I put the cookie sheet w/siplat on my kitchen scale and weigh out 2 oz blobs, not flattened. Those are big blobs! I get 24 blobs, leaving about 1 - 1/2 cookie's worth in the bowl...I will sometimes pull out another cookie sheet and bake the remainder. Usually, however, 5 of the 6 of us polish off the leftover cookie dough! :)

Let me know how the next adventure goes!

o

Cook's Illustrated has a CCC recipe that's supposedly "the best" (well of course it is!) but a friend of mine vouched for it and sent me the recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it's similar to the one attempted in this thread.

o

Okay.

So I did this big experiment making the cookies different sizes and used both Silpat and parchment. I took lots of pictures and have been waiting for DH to show me how to put them up. But I'm going to tell you the results without pictures because I have a new development to share regarding the flat cookies.

The results of the experiment were... Nothing impressive. There was virtually no difference in the spread and/or thickness between cookies baked on parchment or a Silpat.

I scooped some of my cookies, and hand shaped some so they had a rough and bumpy texture when raw. After baking, no difference.

I made some cookies golfball size (the size of my scoop) and some twice as big (momto4kids' size). This made a difference. The big ones were bigger all around, and definitely thicker. Not as thick as the photo with the recipe, but thicker than the golfball ones.

All of this dough was chilled. I think it gained me about 1/2' in thickness over the unchilled ones, which were pancakes. To me, that is still not acceptable.

So after all that the only thing that made a difference was the size. The bad thing about that is that I don't want a huge cookie.

Then something interesting happened.

Yesterday my oven started acting strange, I won't bore you with details. I called the repairman who came out today. Long story short, it turns out that a sensor is not working correctly, and my stove that claims to be heated to 350* is really only getting to 300*! And the strange thing is, I have an oven thermometer as well, and IT was also reading 350*. They are both wrong. I have been cooking everything 50* too cool.

So the first question Pat the repairman I ask is not how much it will cost to fix, or how long it could take. No, the first question I ask is if that is why my cookies are flat. He said absolutely.

I am very encouraged by this! I will try the famous recipe, above, tomorrow and see if things are now any better. Crossing my fingers...

Nicole

o

Huummm...that could be, I actually bake mine at 375 so maybe even that's a difference? We never even discussed the temps...HA! I have two thermometers in my oven...I know one thing about my oven is it sure does take a long time to heat to temp. A good 20 minutes for 375 which seems absurd to me! :(

o

LOLOL!!! Haha!! Ohmigoodness..yeah, I would think that makes a difference! Too funny! I can't wait to hear how it turns out when you have the right temperature! You know what, I need to make cookies for my son's road trip (first trip scouting colleges, yikes!). I'm going to make some my "normal" size and some smaller to see how that affects thickness of the finished cookie. I started making them "bakery" size because the kids were taking about 10 at a time and I was horrified! (Not that the 4 larger cookies they now take is less cookie by weight!).

Arkansas Girl...my oven does the same thing...seems to take an inordinate amount of time to warm up. Not a problem when I'm being pokey, but a pain when I want something that matters to go right in!!

o

The repair-dude and I were discuss pre-heat times today. He said that regardless of brand of stove, they all need at least 20 minutes to heat up. It doesn't matter if the oven beeps after ten minutes to let you know you have reached your temperature, it is lying. You must give it at least 20 minutes. At least.

Mom, we are doing our first college visit next weekend! My DD is a junior, is your son a junior as well?

Nicole

o

So they are all slow to heat up? You'd think that little space of an oven wouldn't take so long...HA! Anyway, that's good to know, also good to know that it's normal for an oven to beep when it's not really at temp. My oven does this after about 5 minutes...at first I thought it was wonderful how fast my new oven heats but then I got wise to it's deception! HEEHEE!

o

About ovens.... when the "beep" sounds, you've heated the air in the oven to temp. Open the door and out it goes. You want the oven to heat, not just the air, the oven sides and top and bottom and all surfaces. Then, when you open the door and lose hot air, it'll regain temp a lot faster.

o

Sushipup...yes, that makes sense!! :)

Okay...first, Nicole, yes, he's a junior! Good grief, wasn't he just in 6th grade last week?!

I made a batch of CCC this morning. I let the butter get too warm, didn't refrigerate the dough (for the 2 oz CCCs) and YIKES!!! FAILURE!! I got pancake cookies! Holy cow! So, FOR ME, temperature of the dough matters!!

Also, I made a sheet of my usual 2 oz size dough balls (not refrigerated, resulting in flat CCCs) and a sheet of 1 oz dough balls (golf ball size). I did refrigerate the golf ball sized CCC dough for about 10-12 minutes. Okay, FOR ME, size matters! I was shocked at how flat they came out!

Moral of my story...for me...make 2oz cookies and if I think the dough is too warm...IT IS!! Haha!

o

Don't forget also about adding some more flour to the dough and making a good stiff dough. I certainly don't think it could hurt to try. I know that my dough is so thick that I cannot possibly use a hand mixer or it will bog down. I have to use either a heavy wooden spoon or my hand to mix.

o

I made the chocolate chip cookies exactly like the recipe.
They're delicious, but they're very soft and not crisp on the outside. My husband likes them crisper on the outside, and I really have no idea what makes cookies crisp or soft.

What did I do wrong????

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

o

Check your oven temps.

o

Thought I'd add this to the mix, if you are having total fits with your CCC going flat, try one of the CCC recipes that call for milled oats(put rolled oats in the processor till fine ground). The Neiman Marcos cookie tastes very good, in fact it's the last CCC I made for my husband and he loves them. These should not go flat on you at all. Yes they taste a bit different but they are GOOD! There's also one called the Governer's Mansion Cookie I think it is. Below is a link of an example of those cookies(My niece swears by them). The Neiman Marcos one doesn't have coconut though. It's available by google searching too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Governer's Mansion cookie recipe

o

The Texas Governer's Mansion recipe looks like what I make, except that I like to substitute granola for the oats and reduce the sugar a bit, since the granola is sweeter than just oats. Granola makes them come out crunchy - I prefer crunchy cookies to chewy ones in general. I tend to buy CCCs at Trader Joe's rather than make them any more because I love the ones I get there. I also tend to make very small, dainty cookies - bite-size at most.

Lars

o

FINALLY! David, the CC cookie expert, has declared that the cookies are "right".

Photobucket

Crisp on the edges, chewy in the middle, not too thick but not raw in the center.

I used 1 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar to 1/4 cup white sugar. Upped the flour to 3 cups, and used all butter. Beat the butter and sugars for 3 or 4 minutes, then added the rest of the wet stuff, flour and dry ingredients last, stirred in the chips by hand so I didn't develop the gluten after the flour was added. Chilled the dough overnight and stuck the pans out in the garage too, so the pans stayed cold. Dropped the dough by the scoop and did not flatten them. Baked for 12 minutes at 375, no longer, and left the cookies on the pan for about 10 minutes so they didn't fall apart while taking them off.

Wow, it didn't used to be the complicated to make CC cookies...

Annie

o

So a friend of mine just posted this on FB... It made me chuckle...

A very old man lay dying in his bed. In death's doorway, he suddenly smelled the aroma of his favorite chocolate chip cookie wafting up the stairs.

He gathered his remaining strength and lifted himself from the bed. Leaning against the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom, and with even greater effort forced himself down the stairs, gripping the railing with both hands. With labored breath, he leaned against the door frame, gazing into the kitchen. Were it not for death's agony, he would have thought himself already in heaven. There, spread out on newspapers on the kitchen table were literally hundreds of his favorite chocolate chip cookies. Was it heaven? Or was it one final act of heroic love from his devoted wife, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man? Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself toward the table. The aged and withered hand, shaking, made its way to a cookie at the edge of the table, when he was suddenly smacked with a spatula by his wife.

"Stay out of those," she said. "They're for the funeral."

o

Thanks for the alternate recipes!! I was disappointed in the smaller cookies I attempted with the recipe I use now. Lars, I like the smaller, dainty cookies for me! I don't want one of those big honking cookies...usually I just want a bite or two. If I break a cookie in half, the kids won't eat the other half. Somehow it doesn't taste the same to them! :(

I'm baking tons of cupcakes today, but I'm going to try these other recipes. It doesn't hurt to have more than one in the arsenal!

o

Momto4kids, I like them small too. I made 5 dozen cookies about 2 inches in diameter.

I started making them that size because they were just the right size to dunk into a glass of milk. If you dunk a broken half cookie, you get crumbs and Ashley did NOT like that, LOL.

Annie

o

I haven't made the Toll cookies in a while, I don't want to waste my time on them again. lol. But I got to thinking. Years ago when butter was taboo, I used margerine all the time. The cookies turned out excellent.

I've been cooking with butter for 15 years now unless a recipe specifically calls for margerine.

I'm wondering if margerine is what makes a better Toll house cookie?

I'm definitely going to try the OP's recipe. Thanks!

o

oakleyok, I found that the fat was one of the culprits and when I switched to all butter and more flour, it worked better.

I'm sure, somehow, that the manufacturers have "cheaped" the margarine by adding more air or more water or something, because I always used Blue Bonnet and they turned out just right. Now they don't.

Annie

o

annie 1992: Are the alterations you did meant for momto4kids's recipe on this post?

o

momto4kids...please give your SCALE measurements for both
flour and sugar in Grams.

Sue Ellen

o

lizbeth, my alterations were to the Toll House cookie recipe on the bag of chips. The way they "were" is the standard that my family uses to judge chocolate chips cookies, so that's what I was looking for.

Annie

o

Thanks annie. I've never been a C.C. cookie lover--grew up with soft cookies w/raisins and black walnuts, still my favorite, but tried a batch for a niece and had the same experience as other posters. So thinking I had done something wrong, I made a second batch, only to have them look like pancakes. Now it's bugging me. I've got to "get them right". (Grandkids also like them.)

o

lizbeth, CC cookies have never been a favorite of mine either, I like molasses cookies much better, but my girls have always loved CC cookies, go figure.

Annie

o

momto4kids...
Do you consider one cup to be 140 Grams?

o

1 cup or 8 oz is about 225 grams. 454 grams in a lb....

o

I want momto4kids take on flour gram conversion
as she found a recipe that works....

I want to follow her recipe....

thank you
sue ellen

o

whoops, sorry Sue Ellen!

o

Sorry Sue Ellen! I didn't see this!

I do weigh out my ingredients (using a salter digital scale) vs using measuring cups, but I use ounces. I just measured out the sugar and flour as I do with ounces and pushed the "gram" button to convert to grams....this is what I got:

flour, 3 cups = 15oz = 426g
sugar, white, 1 cup = 7oz = 200g
sugar, brown, 1 cup = 8oz = 228g

I hope that helps!! I'll check my measurements again in the near future as I seriously make these doggone cookies once or twice a week now!

o

momto4kids....

Thanks for the information!
From what you have posted and other reading, the dough
temperature is very important for the desired texture.

Sue Ellen

o

I still must stress the importance of having enough flour in your cookies. At another forum, this discussion came up and it was concluded that the main reason for flat cookies is the flour they are putting out there for sale these days. They say it's much different than the flour of yesterday. So if nothing is working, be sure and try adding some more flour and see how that goes. I have never chilled my CCC dough and have never had pancake flat cookies, my dough is very stiff and I mix it with my hands.

o

SueEllen...hope it works!

Arkansas Girl...I really need to remember this hint!! If I do add more flour because the dough doesn't seem stiff enough (and it usually is...but I know what you mean now that I think about it)...will it make the cookie "cakey?"

o

My cookies aren't cakey at all.

o

Momto4kids, I made this tonight. Well, I made half a recipe because I know how we can be with chocolate chip cookies and if they didn't come out right for my oven and temps and measuring, I could always give them away.

I preheated for 5 minutes, used parchment paper in a sheet pan, baked for 15 minutes, cooled on a rack. I didn't weigh anything and I didn't chill the dough before baking. They came out so good! I used King A. flour because that's all I had.

YUMMY!

I doubt they'll last long enough to do the *still fresh days later" test.

It's a keeper recipe, halves beautifully for a smaller batch and THANKS for sharing!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

momto4kids... thanks so much for posting the cookie recipe! I made them today...done "things" wrong for sure, like melted the margarine, added nuts and used half white chips & baked them closer to 15 minutes...and they turned out GREAT!! Crisp around edge and chewy in center..YUM!!

o

Followup: Cookies all gone!
Yup, goners less than 24 hours later... yesterday, hubby decided he'd try them "warm" and did the MW zap for 10 seconds...that was all it took--cookies all gone! :O)
Smiles,
Sooz

o

Yay Sooz and Mary! Thank you so much! Yes, my kids *zap* them, too, and swear they taste fresh out of the oven! Haha! I'm so happy to finally be able to contribute a recipe, albeit not my own, that others have enjoyed after I've had years of enjoying others' recipes!! :) Thanks again!

o

If you think I'm going to click on a post about chocolate chip cookies when I'm trying to eat fewer cookies, you're wrong wrong wrong o poop I clicked on it.

Cookie time! :)

o

I tried this recipe and I love it. I, too, was getting the 'pancake' nestle cookies by using their recipe. Now I am having the problem of them spreading out. Other than that,they taste great and I like the texture. I just need them to spread out some. I wonder if baking them at a higher temp would help?
here are my pics

o

My advice would be if they aren't spreading enough then there is a bit too much flour. Try cutting down 1/4 cup and do a test cookie, if it's spreading too much then add a bit more flour until you get it how you like it. Betty Crocker cookbook has this tip in their old cookbook. I think most people are trying to figure it out when it's really just as simple as too much or not enough flour that affects the spread of the cookie. Try not to over-think it so much.

EDIT TO ADD: The cookies in the picture look good though...they don't look like they didn't spread enough to me. Here's a thought too, why not use a round cookie scoop to form them and flatten them out a bit with the bottom or a glass or something?

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 10:31

o

Cookie cutter sounds like an excellent idea. Thank u! I'm def. making these again in the next few days! Before I tried this recipe, I tried another recipe that called for buttermilk. That gave me a cake like texture. My feelings were hurt. But I got it now!!

o

A cookie scoop is what I was talking about, you know those little scoops that look like a small ice cream scoop. Then flatten them so they won't be as high in the middle. Basically like you do a peanut butter cookie only not with fork tongs.

o

I made the OP's recipe yesterday and my cookies turned out like her photo. I did find however that there's not enough salt in the recipe. I would increase it to a full teaspoon. Isn't that about right for 3 cups of flour?

I came across this article about chocolate chip cookies on the NY Times. They interviewed some of the NYC bakers to get their secrets. One of the bakers said that the cookies are better after the dough is allowed to sit 36 hours. I made two cookies after 4 hours and today after 24 hours, and today's cookies did have a better texture and appearance than yesterday's. I made them fairly large--about 2 tablespoons of dough just spooned onto parchment, more flat than rounded.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times Chocolate chip cookies

o

When I make half a recipe, they always come out thick and chewy. (I don't need 5 dozen cookies.)

We old folks remember when a bag of Nestle semi-sweet morsels was only half the size of the current bag. Sometimes doubling the recipe just doesn't work. The Toll House Cookie recipe was designed for a small batch of cookies.

I also make a few other substitutions for my half recipe - 1/4 cup - 4 oz. butter, 1/2 cup - 4 oz. Crisco, 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar and 3 T egg substitute. Of course if I'm making them for "the public" I use the real stuff.

Either way, they still taste great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here