SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Pre-made baking mixes

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

Well, I almost broke down and bought some waffle mix yesterday at the store. But I knew better, I knew I could make my own mix for pennies on the dollar. I have a "Make a Mix" cookbook but all the baking mixes in there call for hydrogenated shortening, which I don't want to use. I have never actually liked it, and if I'm not mistaken, it also has some kind of preservative in it, maybe BHT, which I do not like.

So I have two questions:

Does anyone have "make ahead" waffle mix where all you have to add is maybe oil and water? Or oil, water and egg? Or even just the liquid ingredients. I have dried buttermilk, dried milk, and even yesterday I saw boxed egg replacer which I toyed with buying. But even just a recipe for combining the flours and baking soda, salt, etc, parts would be good.

Also, I was toying with buying an "natural" shortening and I saw both coconut and palm oil ones. My friends use the palm oil one for pie crust and I have to say I didn't much care for it but maybe that was the recipe. Anyone have a preference? Are there other alternatives to hydrogenated fat for something that is shelf stable?

Thanks for the help.

Lpink

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!