Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Leap Day! Recipes anyone?

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 10:53

I went looking for recipes and found some rather lame connections to the theme as well as the expected frog legs offerings. I like this association the best:

"Recipes: Add some romance to your leap day with this menu
LUCY WAVERMAN

Not only is 2012 the year of the Dragon, it's also a leap year. In Celtic folklore, February 29th was the day that women could propose to men and the men had to pay a fine if they refused. Of course, today women can propose any day of the year but the tradition is a unique one to honour.

We all know that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, so here is a proposal menu that will all but seal the deal. Carbs make people feel joy, so a carb-centred pasta dish will produce a happy response. And who doesn't like salmon especially when it is butter poached? My version makes a great indoor dish when no grill is available. My friend Laird used to make this dessert and she found her suitor of the moment always proposed after he tasted it. She named it "proposal pie" and occasionally still makes it for her husband of 30 years. Or, if you're not at that commitment stage, you can double this menu for a fabulous meal for friends.

Pasta with beans and greens

Butter poached salmon

Proposal 'pie'"

What's not to like about a romantic meal. But I'd rather have asparagus risotto (inspired by the current thread) instead of pasta with beans. Beans and romance don't mix for me. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Leap Day Menu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Leap Day! Recipes anyone?

I didn't plan far enough ahead. I'm having a beef roast for dinner tonight..

Maybe four years from now....

Nancy

o
RE: Happy Leap Day! Recipes anyone?

Thanks Eileen, I have a number of Lucy Waverman's cookbooks. A few of my favourite recipes are hers.

There are some people that when they recommend a recipe, you know it is going to be good. Lucy Waverman is one of those people.
~Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here