SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

Happy Leap Day! Recipes anyone?

centralcacyclist
12 years ago

I went looking for recipes and found some rather lame connections to the theme as well as the expected frog legs offerings. I like this association the best:

"Recipes: Add some romance to your leap day with this menu

LUCY WAVERMAN

Not only is 2012 the year of the Dragon, it's also a leap year. In Celtic folklore, February 29th was the day that women could propose to men and the men had to pay a fine if they refused. Of course, today women can propose any day of the year but the tradition is a unique one to honour.

We all know that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, so here is a proposal menu that will all but seal the deal. Carbs make people feel joy, so a carb-centred pasta dish will produce a happy response. And who doesn't like salmon especially when it is butter poached? My version makes a great indoor dish when no grill is available. My friend Laird used to make this dessert and she found her suitor of the moment always proposed after he tasted it. She named it "proposal pie" and occasionally still makes it for her husband of 30 years. Or, if you're not at that commitment stage, you can double this menu for a fabulous meal for friends.

Pasta with beans and greens

Butter poached salmon

Proposal 'pie'"

What's not to like about a romantic meal. But I'd rather have asparagus risotto (inspired by the current thread) instead of pasta with beans. Beans and romance don't mix for me. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Leap Day Menu

Comments (2)