SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxmom96

Help with scone "blow out".

maxmom96
11 years ago

I've used Ann T's recipe as well as a few others, and it seems I can't get away from the sides of the scones "blowing out". They taste great but look awful.
I've tried arranging them on the pan closer together, but they just run into each other.

I have seen a recipe somewhere with an egg in it. Do you think that would help,or would it detract from the lightness of the scone?

Since I like them smaller than usual, I form a long rectangle and cut triangles from that freeform.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (69)

• maxmom96
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Momto4: Thanks so much. I appreciate the comforting words.
    As I mentioned in my last post, I have only used the food processor to mix the dry ingredients any only because it was sitting in front of me.

I have printed out the RLB recipe and will try it when I can next think about making scones without swearing, LOL.

I mentioned I had seen a recipe with an egg in it, but got no response to my question about that addition. I thought it might be sacriligious to even mention it.

Seems like basically my dough has not been moist enough.

Thanks again Momto4.

• maxmom96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Momto4: Thanks so much. I appreciate the comforting words.
    As I mentioned in my last post, I have only used the food processor to mix the dry ingredients any only because it was sitting in front of me.

I have printed out the RLB recipe and will try it when I can next think about making scones without swearing, LOL.

I mentioned I had seen a recipe with an egg in it, but got no response to my question about that addition. I thought it might be sacriligious to even mention it.

Seems like basically my dough has not been moist enough.

Thanks again Momto4.

• Related Discussions

HELP, Blow out before freezing temps?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, I recently turned on my sprinkler system not expecting any more freezing nights. Of course, now we are going to get a snowfall and nightly temps below 32 degrees for several nights. Should I blow out my sprinkler again, or will it be okay since the ground is probably still warm? (location: Kansas City, KS area) Thanks.
    ...See More

Air conditioner does not blow out cool air anymore

Q

Comments (5)
    Common Problems With Air Conditioning. Open Windows One of the most common problems with the cooling system in your home is occurs when doors and windows are left open. You might be surprised at how often just being vigilant about doors and windows can significantly improve the cooling process for your home. Low Refrigerant Refrigerant is the chemical that cools the air within your AC system. Low levels of refrigerant could mean there is a leak, or an actual problem with the refrigerant system. If your AC system needs to be recharged, most of the time that suggests there is a leak. Leaky Ducts, Bad Air Flow Leaky ducts or improper air flow are another very common culprit for why your AC is not cooling properly. Inconsistent temperatures often are an indicator that this is the problem. If there is a leak somewhere in the line then the cool air that is moving from your unit through your home is not making it all the way to where it needs to go. Filters and Coils Check your filters and coils. A dirty filter or coil will restrict your air flow and keep your machine from running at peak efficiency. Clogged Drain A clogged condensate drain on your unit can cause loss of efficiency and cooling. It is best to get a certified HVAC technician to check this for you, it is bit more technical and it is better to be safe than sorry. If you break something it could cause a much more expensive repair later on. Outside Fan The outside fan is responsible for conveying the heat from your home to the outside air. If the fan on the outside isn’t performing correctly, the proper heat transfer cannot take place, the air conditioning compressor may overhead and trip the safety overload. Solution The best and most effective way to prevent these problems is by participating in a preventive maintenance program. If you would like help with your air conditioner from a professional.
    ...See More

Gas WH pilot blows out

Q

Comments (3)
    Remove the pilot orifice(you have to remove the entire burner assembly to do this) clean it out really good(an orifice reamer is best). Then with the burner assembly removed clean the burner air inlet and gas ports as well. Then inspect the flue, and reassemble. Removing burner assembly: turn gas OFF to water heater, remove pilot line from control with a 7/16's wrench, remove T-couple from control with a 3/8's wrench, remove burner supple line from control with a 3/4" or 13/16's wrench(usually reverse threads too), then slide assembly out. Remove pilot orifice: disconnect pilot tubing from pilot assembly and orifice will fall out usually, sometimes it may be stuck, if so carefully pry it out or clean it in the assembly. If you have no pilot reamers spray some carb. cleaner or contact cleaner into it and immediately blow it out with air.
    ...See More

blowing out copper water lines with air compressor

Q

Comments (14)
    I ended up blowing out the air with the compressor. It got a lot of it I think but I also used the bread trick as well. One of the pipes still was wet inside and the bread dried it right up. Also ended up chopping the ends off some heater hoses and using that for flex line. They don't sell 3/4 copper flex at my home depot but do sell the copper heater connection hoses. Anyhow, no leaks now and all is good! Thanks for all the responses, really helped me out!
    ...See More
  • maxmom96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the duplicate pot. Computer is doing funny things.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Maxmom, I know a lot of scone recipes call for eggs. I just never found them necessary. But, you should give it a try and see for yourself which you prefer. The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) adds eggs to her scone recipes.

~Ann

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I just talked this morning about scones with my friend who is on a three month round the world, or a good portion of it, right now. She left Australia a few days ago where her friend gave her this recipe: 4 c sifted self rising flour, 1c 7up, 100 ml heavy cream. She said they were delicious.

Eileen

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Eillen, that's similar to my recipe but I can't help but feel the cream measurement is off. That's not really enough liquid for that amount of flour IMO. (My recipe originally is 4 1/2 c SR flour, 300ml 7-Up and 300ml cream.) The liquid would be a total of 350ml, which is a _lot_ less.

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Colleen, I will give my friend the correction. She is on the move and not a cook and I can't make any sense of metric on the fly, nor can she! Thanks!

Eileen

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

A cup is 250 ml, to give an idea, so 100ml is 2/5 cup. Cream is sold in 300ml cartons (a leftover from the days of the pint and half-pint (which is 20fl oz here) which is equal to about 600ml and 300ml). Standard practice for that particular scone recipe is to pour the cream onto the flour, then fill the now empty cream carton with 7-Up (or soda water or plain water) and pour that in as well.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Are scones supposed to taste like baking powder or is it just my boyfriend's recipe? It seems to me that I had some others with a noticeable taste of baking powder also.

• jimster
    11 years ago

Two possible causes of that taste are:

1. The type of baking powder which contains an aluminum compound. Are you using Calumet or Clabber Girl? If so, try Rumford.

2. Too much baking powder. How much is used in BF's recipe? More than 1 or 2 teaspoons per cup of flour can give a noticeable taste.

Jim

• jimster
    11 years ago

Deleting duplicate post.

This post was edited by jimster on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 22:06

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I use Ann T's recipe also, and I use King Arthur all purpose flour and my scones turn out well. Most times.

Occasionally they just seem to "melt" onto the pan and become flat instead of rising up tall and flaky. We eat them and the next batch is usually fine, so I don't know what I do to that occasional batch.

I cannot manage to make any dough successfully with the food processor. The pie crust gets tough and too warm and then I have to freeze it to chill it enough to work with it. Biscuits and scones become tough. I think I do not hve a light enough touch with that pulse function....

Anyway, 've gone back to making pastry and biscuits by hand, they turn out so much better.

Hey, but you have some delicious "mistakes" to eat up!

Annie

• jimster
    11 years ago

"Occasionally they just seem to "melt" onto the pan and become flat instead of rising up tall and flaky."

There are three types of baking powder. One is activated by moisture. One is activated by heat. The other, called double acting, is a mixture of the two. When using the moisture activated type, if not put in the oven right away its gas making power can be expended too soon.

I'm probably wrong in thinking that is your problem because I can't imagine that you delay putting it in the oven for very long and I am certainly no baking expert. Far from it. But it seems that it must have something to do with the leavening.

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Well if it makes anyone feel better, I can't make scones worth a darn either. Me and dough are mortal enemies. Mine are tolerable though, with enough butter and jam!

• maxmom96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! True confessions. It sure does make me feel better to know that some of you will confess to having a hard time making scones and working with dough. Thanks for 'fessing up. I've always been fearful of admitting that I have trouble with some baking/cooking issues, but occasionally will have to resort to asking for help from some of you and I've been grateful for the patience you've shown and the expertise shared.

I did buy some White Lily flour yesterday, by the way, and will try the scorned scones again! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge Grainlady.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Oh, Maxmom, you are not alone. I can't bake worth a damn, so I rarely will do it. Why set myself up for aggrevation? I would rather make dinner for 40 than bake.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Jim, I use the same baking powder and the same recipe and do not dely in putting them in the oven. Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes not. Go figure.

They always taste good, though.

Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

And that is what matters Annie.

~Ann

• jimster
    11 years ago

Annie,

What you said is just what I expected. It only makes sense. There must be an explanation though. I wonder why none of the bakers on this forum have one. This is puzzling.

Jim

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Yes, Jim, I agree, there must be a reason. But I use the same pan and the same oven, the same brand of butter and flour, the same baking powder. Maybe my kitchen is a little warmer sometimes, but I don't think so, my house is pretty constant at 55F all winter. Perhaps the flour, although the same brand it can differ due to age and humidity and the soil conditions when the wheat is grown, how it was stored before I bought it, you know the drill.

As far as I can see, though, everything is the same. I even use the same measuring utensils and the same bowl to mix the dough. Usually they are nice and light and flaky, but sometimes they just "melt" and end up a puddle about 1/2 inch thick with crunchy edges...

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Jim, I am a science teacher and we have a saying when we teach, "it's ALWAYS like this . . . except when it's not." Explains a lot of scientific laws. Nature is so darn variable!

• chas045
    11 years ago

Nature is so darn variable!

I only minimally recall a story about a sausage factory that made a popular distinctly red variety that was so successful that they built a new addition for its production. Unfortunately, they couldn't reproduce the red color and it took them a year to find the problem.

Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten the details but it had something to do with the assistant who originally needed to cart the sausage to or from a storage room to allow other production that may have been down a hall or outside into another building and perhaps passed by a source of carbon dioxide or something. Of course this transport or temporary storage was not needed in the upgraded modern facility.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I have the day off so decided spur of the moment to make scones using Colleen's recipe. I had self rising flour that I needed to use up. As per usual, I monkeyed with the recipe, subbing 1/2 cup oat bran for some of the flour since my Pillsbury self rising flour was whiter than white, which I am not crazy about. I used 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt and 1/2 cup of coconut milk that was past its prime for the sour milk, and ginger ale instead of 7-up because that's what I had. I was going to use dried currants but some apricots were in front of them in the pantry so I use them. Ginger apricot sounded good. All my baking trays are gone, either at work or wrecked so I had to use the bottom of my roasting pan covered with waxed paper for the baking. Forgot to paint them with milk so they came out a little crusty on top.

The results weren't very good, but I think that is because the flour was old and not very good. The dough was overly sticky so I had to knead some extra flour into it, maybe 2 TBLSP so they were also a little over kneaded. You should kneed maybe 8 times and I did these for about 16. They have a bitter taste which I think comes from the marginal flour. Also not very flaky, which comes from the over kneading. And my kitchen is covered with flour and dough and I'm in a crabby mood. Me and dough, my nemesis!! :(

To be fair, my kitchen work space is about 3 square feet so it doesn't take much for the whole "kitchen" to get messy!

Here's the photos!

This post was edited by lpinkmountain on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 12:37

• jimster
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your scones, Pink. They look very nice to me.

I like the roughness because it makes all those tasty brown nubs.

Jim

• ann_t
    11 years ago

I agree Jim. The scones look good. Too bad you didn't like the flavour Lpink. If you don't bake a lot, maybe you should keep your flour in the freezer.

We had homemade biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast. Moe had his with scrambled eggs. I like just the biscuits and gravy.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I sure wish I could make home made sausage gravy! I can make a regular gravy almost anytime, with a rue or slurry, but darned if I can get sausage gravy to taste right. And with all this talk about making scones, you know what I 'm gonna end up doing. On top of having made chocolate chip cookies last night.......

Tami

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Tami, Sausage gravy isn't much different than making regular gravy. I brown the sausage in butter, season with garlic, salt and pepper. Once the sausage is brown, I add flour and cook (like a roux). I use chicken broth and cream in my sausage gravy and season with more black pepper and sage. Probably not traditional, but then again, Biscuits and sausage gravy are not traditional in Canada.

~Ann

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Your scones looks good to me Pink!
    I make biscuits, I should try scones.

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Maxmom - not much of a scone baker - which is why I could not offer advice.

One thing I do love to make for any meal is a good bisquit though. Jasdip - your bisquits make me want to run home and make a batch!

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Those biscuit pictures have me making biscuits to go with dinner tonight. I plan to add cheddar cheese and some roasted garlic. Yum! Love biscuits.

lpink--I think your scones look great!

I made the usual chocolate chip scones yesterday...but I wasn't paying attention to the amount I was making. Usually I make a double batch. Yesterday I made a single batch, but added chips for a double batch! Yikes! No one has complained yet! I also made pumpkin scones, using canned pumpkin puree. I had leftover puree since I only made one batch, so I made pumpkin soup to go with dinner. It was actually pretty good!

• ann_t
    11 years ago

There really isn't a difference between "scones" and Biscuits. At least not in the US or Canada. Biscuits tend to be something else in England.

But the basics are the same - flour, salt, baking powder (and baking soda if using buttermilk or sour milk) and some fat (Butter, Lard, Shortening) are what both are made from. Scones tend to be "sweet" with sugar added, and cut in wedges and biscuits tend to be savory and cut into rounds or squares. If you can make one you can make the other. Same technique.

For variation, add fruits (blueberries, raspberries, raisins, cranberries, chocolate, nuts, poppyseeds, etc.. to scones and add savory ingredients to biscuits - ham, chives, roasted garlic, cheese (cheddar, blue, etc..). It is all good regardless of what they are called.

~Ann

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Colleen, was your recipe supposed to have some fat in it? That may be one reason my scones are so hard. I just used self rising flour (which in the US does not have hydrogenated fat in it), sour milk and ginger ale. Today they are akin to some of the salt clay animals I have been making for a class I am teaching.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Lpink, Sol, also makes a cream scone that does not contain additional fat.

She posted a link to her blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sol's Scones

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Well, my recipe calls for sour _cream_, which is mostly fat. Using sour _milk_ may be part of your problem.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Thanks Ann. I may give it another try this weekend.

• ruimi
    11 years ago

Hi Folks
    A long time since I posted here, probably under a different user name.
    Agree with Colleen of Oz. Scones are simple using her method.
    We call it 'three, one and one'. That is:
    Three cups of self raising flour, (must be fresh)
    One cup of single cream.
    One cup of lemonade.
    Pinch of salt.
    Mix them up in a bowl using a spatula but stop as soon as mixed.
    Scrape out on to a floured board and gently bring it together; don't knead it, doesn't need it!
    Roll out carefully to about 1.5 cms or a bit thicker. Cut out scones, bring rest together, re-roll and cut more. I get about twelve.
    Put on buttered tray or baking paper and brush tops with milk.
    In the meantime get oven up to 220°C, about 430°F. Whack them in for about 12 to 15 minutes, time will depend on your oven.
    Eat with a dollop of jam and some spare cream whipped up.
    Do's
    Use fresh flour.
    Use light hands.
    Don'ts
    Over-work or knead the mix.
    Let the kids have more than their fair share!

The method works for me every time and is quick and easy. I'm told beer can be used instead of lemonade, also soda water. Perhaps you guys in the States could experiment with Coca cola!
    Happy cooking.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Note: By "lemonade" Ruimi means a 7-Up type carbonated drink, as opposed to the US lemonade of lemon juice, sugar and water.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

What is single cream, please?

Tami

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Light cream as opposed to heavy cream. Cream suitable for whipping.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Then I suppose it would be what we call Half and Half. Our Whipping Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream would be too heavy. Darn, I have Whipping Cream in the fridge! Though I would have to "make" self rising flour......

Thanks

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Tami, the recipe I linked uses 2 cups of heavy cream. I usually use heavy whipping cream, but have used half & half or milk when i forgot to get cream!

• ruimi
    11 years ago

Hello again.
    Just for interest here is a photo of a batch of 3,1 and 1's made on my Webber Q. Not the best I've made but OK.
    BTW What do you mean by "blow out"?

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

No, half and half is not light cream. Whipping cream is fine (as in "Cream suitable for whipping").
    For self-rising flour simply add 1 teaspoon of baking powder per cup of flour.
    Ruimi, I think they mean their scones spread out instead of up.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Just thought I'd revisit...I just finished making chocolate chip scones for the kids' breakfast tomorrow. Had my camera in the kitchen and just thought I'd take a couple pix. These are:

1. The way I roll them out in a long rectangle and cut them into triangles. I made smaller ones, they're about an inch high, the usual thickness I roll to.

2. A close-up of the layers you can see from my 4 times roll, fold, repeat.

3. Final product. It's a good 1 3/4 inches high or so. Golden brown edges, nice layered look, moist inside. I underbake them because we don't like them so dry.

• artsyshell
    11 years ago

Ruimi Love the high 'rise'! Very tasty looking!

momto4kids, those are some gorgeous looking scones! I love the rectangle idea!

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Momto4kids - those are the best looking scones I've ever seen!!!! I'm not a scone person because pastries/sweets don't appeal to me in general. Scones usually look dry and unappealing to me.

Your scones look absolutely delightful, moist and flaky. YUM!!!! Great photos!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I agree entirely with Teresamn. But, with pictures like that, I could be a convert.

Thanks for sharing.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Deb, you really have mastered the perfect scone. Just Beautiful.

~Ann

• maxmom96
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Momto4. Lovely! Did you use the R.L. Beranbaum recipe for those? I haven't tried it yet, but do intend to. I too have always used the rectangle shape for mine. I can get any size that way.

Your dough looks a lot more workable, i.e. moist, than mine ever did. Mine don't brown on top like yours, even though I use the same temp, 400, for the same length of time. I brush them with cream before baking. I haven't noticed my oven temp is off, but there's always that possibility.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Thank you! Thank you!!

ssomerville...I roll one long rectangle, use my bench scraper to cut in half lengthwise, then bang out the triangles. Super fast and easy and consistent!

teresa_mn and mustangs...I think the secret is to underbake, which is probably not very scone-like, but I only bake them about 10 minutes...12 max. They are waaaaay too dry if baked the length of time the recipe states.

ann_t...they still don't rise like yours! But I'm getting there!! :)

maxmom...yes, I use the RLB recipe. I don't use a food processor, just my hands! I use heavy whipping cream. The one thing I started doing after mixing in the cream and chips, dried fruit, whatever...is use my hands to form all the dough and dry bits into a ball (somewhat kneading it and continuing to push it all together) before I put it on the mat to roll. The 4 times roll, fold, repeat builds the layers in the dough. I'm not all that gentle with it, as opposed to biscuits...that I only roll once (no folding, etc) and use TLC! Lastly, I do not brush the tops of the scones (or biscuits).

Thank you again all!! :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County