Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes to lose weight & sleep well

Posted by Strawberryhill (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 10:18

I notice that raw foods or high-nutrients food fill me up best. Prevention Magazine stated that raw food have enzymes & vitamins to nourish .. once cooked, the enzymes & vitamins are destroyed.

A few raw almonds fills me up ... but I need to eat twice as much roasted almond to feel satisfied. I lost weight by making RAW almond milk to be eaten with high-fiber cereal. Soak 1 cup of raw almonds overnight with 3 cups of water. Use a blender, pulse for 2 min, then puree for 1 minute. Use a metallic strainer, save the almond milk and refrigerate. The solids can be used in baking. A Tbs. of maple syrup can be added to almond milk.

One recipe that helps with sleep is ROASTED HONEYED Walnuts .. high in both Omega-3 and melatonin for deep sleep. I always have vivid dreams & great sleep snacking on that before bedtime. Omega-3 keeps the body warm plus deep REM sleep. I mix dried cranberries (to lower cholesterol) once the walnuts cool down. See below Pinterest for Roasted-honeyed walnuts recipe:

Anyone have a good salad-dressing recipe? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Straw's Pinterest of Sweet and Healthy recipes

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 11:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes to lose weight & sleep well

You might like one of my favorite lunches, or a smaller version of it as a bedtime snack:
--small palm-full of almonds - 6 to 10? (I soak and dehydrate them before I eat any nuts to make them easier to digest and increase the nutrition - this is a similar process for the overnight soaking for making almond milk)

- 1 stalk of celery

- 1 small apple or some dehydrated apple slices
(have you checked out the "3 Apple-A-Day Plan" by Tammi Flynn, M.S., R.D.)

- 1 ounce of cheese

By the time you thoroughly chew this meal, you will be able to go without a snack for hours. This combination also includes several kinds of fiber than what you can get from almonds alone. And unless you eat the pulp, you will miss the largest percentage of the fiber and much of the nutrition. I see you are adding a high-fiber cereal for additional fiber. I don't eat commercial cereal of any kind - it's basically an over-priced food rip-off and you can make "raw" cereal for more healthy enzymes.

[If you need any recipes using the pulp, I make something nearly every week with raw or dehydrated almond pulp - "raw" cookies, crackers, "cereal"..... And I use the dehydrated pulp in recipes that call for almond flour. I also use a nut milk bag to strain the pulp, which I think will give you better results and more milk, than a strainer.]

Types of fiber.... Pectin - slows the absorption of food after meals (beneficial to diabetics). Cellulose - is a non-digestible carbohydrate. Lignin - a fiber good for lowering cholesterol levels and preventing gallstone formation. Hemicellulose - an indigestible complex carbohydrate that absorbs water and is good or weight loss, constipation, colon cancer, and controlling carcinogens in the intestinal tract.

The recipe at the link below is a BIG HIT around our house. I don't know how it affects sleep because I don't eat after 6 pm, go to bed at 9 pm, and get up at 3 am. Being bone tired from a long day makes me sleep. Plus, I eat a lot of raw whole foods throughout the day. I have made the recipe below with pecans, almonds and walnuts - pecans are the favorite. It's not heated at a high heat, so it retains more enzymes. Because the nuts were soaked overnight first, they are easier to digest and have more available nutrition.

Chia seeds may also be another nighttime option for Omega 3 and a sleep aid (lots of documentation available if you do a search) and there are any number of ways to eat AND drink chia seeds.

Chai Chia "Pudding"
2 c. boiling water
2 Chai tea bags
Steep 15-minutes.
Add: 3 T. chia seeds, sweetener, and a small amount of milk or nut milk. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for several hours before using.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetly Spiced Crispy Pecans

o

THANK YOU, Grainlady, for ways to eat healthy food. I appreciate the recipe for crispy pecans ... I prefer it less sweet (versus my kid wanted MORE honey on the walnuts!).

My friend gave me chia seeds, haven't use it. Thanks for the great tip on chia seeds. I looked up, and here's the info.: "3 ½ ounces, of chia seeds has17g of omega-3 fatty acid ... contains calcium, magnesium and potassium and iron. But the chia seed is high in the mineral phosphor, which works as a phytate that will bind to calcium, magnesium and potassium making them unavailable for absorption."

Question: do Chia seeds need to be cooked or soaked in hot water? Is it OK to eat it raw?

o

It's okay to eat them raw, in small amounts, but they are more bio-available if they are soaked first (aka "prepared chia gel" or "chia gel"). I believe 1 T. (dry) is a "suggested" amount for a day, and one would be wise to slowly work their way up to that amount.

It would be nearly impossible to consume 3-1/2 oz. (around 3/4-cup) of dry chia seeds in a day!!! For one thing, it would be too expensive, and secondly, chia seeds are part of a healthy diet, not THE entire diet (LOL).

If you consume a lot of dry chia seeds while dehydrated (like first thing in the morning after going without hydration for a prolonged period of time overnight), the seeds will draw water from your body and swell and could cause constipation, or even form a blockage in the colon. Whole flax seed will do the same thing if enough is consumed while dehydrated. And yet, used correctly, they are both great for constipation - but the key is "used correctly".

I mill them 1:1 with flax seed (keep it in the freezer) and add it for additional fiber to baked goods, smoothies, or to use as an egg substitute (1 T. chia/flax meal plus 3 T. water). Chia seeds as a part of your regular diet will help your body absorb nutrition from all foods.

I also keep a small amount of water/chia seed mixture (chia gel) in the refrigerator. Before going wheat-free, chia gel was a key add-in that aided in keeping homemade yeast bread fresher longer. I add chia gel to 100% fruit juice, if it's part of breakfast. And possibly some Great Lakes Gelatin (the green box that doesn't thicken in liquids) for some protein to juice and chia gel, for an afternoon pick-me-up. Added to water and/or coconut water (maybe a little whey from my kefir and some fresh lemon or lime juice) when working outdoors, and you will say hydrated better, and it's healthier than sports drinks.

A common ratio for chia gel is 1 part chia seeds to 10 parts water (2 T. chia seeds to 1-1/4 c. water - or as thin or thick as you like). Add the seeds TO the water (NOT water to seeds) and mix. Allow to sit 5-minutes and mix again. Keep refrigerated and use within a week (some sources say up to 3-weeks, but I try to use mine within a week of making it).

I also sprout chia seeds and grow them as micro-greens. Sprouts and micro-greens bring a whole different nutrition profile to the table (pun intended ;-).

Check your library for the book "The Magic Of Chia" by James F. Scheer.
-Grainlady

o

I make a salad dressing using coconut oil, fresh lemon juice and honey. Your lunch sounds like something I will try. Thanks!!

o

Thank you, Grainlady, for your thorough answer on my chia-question ... much appreciated. In my diabetes-prone family, low-magnesium & B-vitamins contribute to poor sleep and diabetes. I eat bran-cereal since it's high in magnesium & B-vitamins.

My favorite cereal is low-sugar, non-GMO Barbara's High-Fiber Medley cereal (14g of fiber, 5g of protein, 5g of sugar) ... I sleep well with that cereal when eaten with raw almond milk. Few years ago I ate lots of bran cereal & apples & salads and got down to 100 lbs. A good salad dressing surely helps .... .

o

grainlady:

can i send u an email?? GW will not allow me to send u a private email....

thank you :)

o

grainlady:

can i send u an email?? GW will not allow me to send u a private email....

thank you :)

o

Strawberryhill: How do you fix the honeyed walnuts? Thanks.

o

sprtphntc -

I sent you an e-mail. Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Grainlady

o

Hi pink_warm_mama: Here's how I fixed my walnuts:

Spread 3 cups of raw walnut on cookie sheet, sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar, then drizzle 1/2 cup honey. Bake in 275 oven for 15 minutes, stir, then reduce oven to 250 and bake for 15 min. more. Stir again, then remove walnuts while hot, to prevent sticking. Walnuts become crunchy once cooled on a plate, mix in dry cranberries last.

My kid likes more honey, so I increased the amount of honey to 3/4 cup. Recently I switched from wild-flower honey to buckwheat honey, very intense flavor, so I reduced the honey to 1/2 cup. Walnut is high in Omega-3 and melatonin ... helps with deep sleep. It's also high in vitamin E, see excepts below:

"Men need to consume 1.6 grams of ALA per day and women need 1.1 grams per day, according to the Institute of Medicine. A one-ounce serving of walnuts -- about 1/4 cup -- provides 2.5 grams of ALA (Omega-3), which is more than 100 percent of the amount you need in a day."

"•The form of vitamin E found in walnuts is somewhat unusual, and particularly beneficial. Instead of having most of its vitamin E present in the alpha-tocopherol form, walnuts provide an unusually high level of vitamin E in the form of gamma-tocopherol. Particularly in studies on the cardiovascular health of men, this gamma-tocopherol form of vitamin E has been found to provide significant protection from heart problems."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

*** From Straw: I once attended a lecture given by a surgeon who specialized in stroke. This doc. visited an Italian village where everyone cholesterol was super-high, but very low rate of stroke & heart attacks. He found that their HDL (good cholesterol) was super-high, thus made the total cholesterol high. When I loaded up on Omega-3, my HDL (good cholesterol) sky-rocketed, a good insurance against diseases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omega-3 in walnuts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here