SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

Anyone have a good Italian bread recipe?

tammyinwv
14 years ago

I like the Italian breads with the thick tough crusts.Anyone got a good recipe?

Tammy

Comments (37)

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can vouch for Jeff Smith's (The Frugal Gourmet) Classic French Bread Recipe. It's wonderful. I don't think there is much difference between French & Italian bread, myself. But you could try using milk or part milk/ part water for the liquids for a softer loaf... Also, I halved the recipe because I have the small Kitchen Aid mixer. Haven't tried mixing it in the bread machine.

It's been a while since I've made it--I probably used Gold Medal Better for Bread flour or possibly even just all purpose flour.

Have you tried any of the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day recipes? Great crust with those, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic French Bread

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Ann T has a great Italian Bread recipe but can I find it? Nooooo....

Anyway, She makes hers with a stand mixer, it takes a LOT of beating. CindyMac made it years ago with a hand mixer, just to see if it could be done. She did it, but had to turn the mixer off and let it cool down a couple of times. At that time I didn't have a stand mixer, so I did it by hand with a wooden spoon. It can be done, but I don't advise it, LOL.

Annie

• Related Discussions

Anyone have a good recipe for Limpa, a Swedish rye bread?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here ya go! From the Kitchen of Ann Straight Swedish Rye Bread Limpa (5 loaves) 2pkg dry yeast 1 cup warm H2O dissolve these three ingredients 1tsp. sugar (meanwhile) 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup whiter sugar 1tsp. salt (scant) 1/4 tsp. fennel seed 1 cup shortening (I use oleo) 1/2 c(scant) molasses 4 cups warm H2O (combine this), add yeast mixture Stir in 4 cups Rye Flour Work in 8 or more cups of white flour (I use 10 cups) The dough should be soft, but of course it should be workable Knead for 5 minutes Mix well--cover and let rise in warm place until double--- stir or punch down Dump out on lightly floured counter Divide into 5 sections---shape Place in greased pans--let rise Bake at 275 -300 degrees until done
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking for good old fashioned homemade bread recipe.

Q

Comments (9)
    Here's one I haven't long time!! Almost forgot about it! But it's wonderful and makes the most awesome toast! Dartmouth oatmeal bread.... Proof 1 packet of dry yeast with 2 Tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water. Stir 1 cup of rolled oats ( not instant!) into 2 cups of boiling water Add 2 Tablespoons shortening ( I use crisco.....but bet originally they used lard) 1/2 cup dark molasses Mix and cool Add the yeast mix to the oatmeal mix. Add 5 or so cups of bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover loosley let rise until double....punch down....let rise again....shape into 2 loaves, let rise until double and bake at 350 50 or 60 minutes! And...another Here's a Rye bread Makes 6 loaves. Cook 4 medium potatoes (peeled), drain saving the water and put through a sieve (or mash) proof 2 pkts of yeast (or 3 1/2 teaspoons) in 1/2 cup warm water with a t. of sugar. Mix 4 c. of buttermilk, 3/4 c. dark molasses, 1/4 cup of shortening (she used Crisco, I use butter) and 1 t. baking soda and 1T.salt. Add 3/4 c. brown sugar and 3/4 c, of the potato water. Add enough rye flour to make a dough ( still able to be stirred, but getting pretty stiff).Add the yeast mixture and mix well Add enough white bread flour to (as Mrs. Faust said)work it up, That is until it is stiff enough to knead. knead about 6 to 8 minutes, let rise till double, punch it down and shape into loaves. this works best in bread pans due to the long cooking time--if you don't have 6 bread pans, just "free form" the rest and maybe take it out of the oven a little sooner. Butter top of loaves and raise until it almost cracks on top (this is a very heavy bread!) Bake 350 for 1 1/4 hours. mrs Faust used to divide the dough in half and add about a t. of anise seed to -one half of the dough--I like it--almost like a tea bread.. Good Luck--I'm getting hungry just reading the recipe--it's really a fabulous bread! And this....known to Swedes as Limpa....and Ann's bread is wonderful! From the Kitchen of Ann Straight Swedish Rye Bread (5 loaves) 2pkg dry yeast 1 cup warm H2O dissolve these three ingredients 1tsp. sugar (meanwhile) 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup whiter sugar 1tsp. salt (scant) 1/4 tsp. fennel seed 1 cup shortening (I use oleo) 1/2 (scant) molasses 4 cups warm H2O (combine this), add yeast mixture Stir in 4 cups Rye Flour Work in 8 or more cups of white flour (I use 10 cups) The dough should be soft, but of course it should be workable Knead for 5 minutes Mix well--cover and let rise in warm place until double--- stir or punch down Dump out on lightly floured counter Divide into 5 sections---shape Place in greased pans--let rise Bake at 275 -300 degrees until done
    ...See More

RECIPE: Italian crackling bread

Q

Comments (5)
    Ginger, this is looking like a good start: Italian Garlic/Pepper Bread Recipe By : Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Cheese Four Star Italian Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 1/3 Cups Water 1 1/4 Teaspoons Salt 1 Teaspoon Sugar 3 Cups Bread flour 2 1/2 Teaspoons Yeast 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic powder -- (or to taste) 1/2 Teaspoon Very coarsley ground pepper -(or to taste) 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese -- UP TO 1 C -cut in 1/2 inch squares. Add the final three ingredients as late as possible in the final kneading stage. The bread is better if the islands of cheese are identifiable and if the pepper does not get GROUND into the dough by the kneading process. I enjoyed this bread at an Italian restaurant, so I tried to match it as close as I could. Used the basic recipe fro Italian bread in "The Bread Machine Cookbook" (#1) and added the garlic and pepper. Good luck. Hope this works out for you. Please let me know of your improvements on this very basic recipe.
    ...See More

recipe: looking for: homemade italian bread

Q

Comments (5)
    Here is our family's favorite Italian Bread. You can omit the sun-dried tomatoes and liquid smoke. I just made this recipe today, and have plenty to share with friends and family. The baked loaves also freeze well. Jan Italian Supper Bread 12 cups Unbleached Flour 1 cup sugar 2 Tablespoons Instant Active Yeast 2 Tablespoons Non-fat dry milk solids 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt 3 cups warm water 2 Tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes a few drops Liquid Smoke 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil 3 eggs First chop the sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkle with a few drops of liquid smoke, stir and add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil. Let this set while you begin making the dough. In a large bowl, start with 3 cups of flour, the sugar, yeast and kosher salt. Blend the dry ingredients, then add the sun-dried tomatoes and remaining 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil. Now add the 3 cups warm water and stir just to blend and then add the eggs and whisk until you have a smooth mixture. Add the next 6 cups of flour, 1 or 2 at a time and stir until you have a sticky, but elastic dough. Use two cups of flour to flour the work surface and pour the dough onto the flour. Use another cup or more to cover the dough and begin working the flour into the dough until it is no longer sticky, and knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let the dough rise until doubled. Punch the dough down and divide into four pieces for four large loaves, or 8 pieces for 8 small loaves. Shape the dough into loaves and place on large, greased baking sheets. Let rise for about 20 minutes and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Brush with melted butter and move to a cooling rack to cool. Important: loaves are best if baked separately from one another. Serve with your favorite Italian meal.
    ...See More
  • sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Here's one I've made a few times, and really enjoyed. It's amazing how just flour, water, yeast and salt can taste so divine! I've played with this recipe some, trying to add whole wheat flour, flax seed, that kind of thing, to varying success, but I'll just give you the recipe as it's written. It's from King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.

Crusty Italian Bread

1 braided loaf, 16 generous slices

Biga (starter)

1 cup (8 ounces) cool water, about 65 degrees F.
    2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon instant yeast (my note - I use regular yeast, and it works fine)

Dough

1/2 cup (4 ounces cool water, about 65 degrees F.
    2 to 2 1/2 cups (8 1/2 to 10 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Topping

1 egg white lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    Sesame seeds (my note, I haven't had sesame seeds at hand, but I did have flax seed, and subbed those. They looked odd, but tasted fine.)

For the Biga:

Combine all biga ingredients, mixing just until a cohesive dough forms. Cover and let the starter rest for 12 to 16 hours at room temperature. When the biga is ready, it will be filled with craters and large bubbles.

For the dough:

Add the water to the biga and mix until smooth. Add the flour, yeast, and salt and knead the dough until it's fairly smooth but not necessarily elastic, about 3 minutes by electric mixer, or 5 minutes by hand. (The gluten will continue to develop as the dough rises, so you don't want to develop it fully during the kneading process.)

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours. To help develop the gluten and distribute the yeast's food, gently deflate the dough and turn it over every 30 minutes during the rising time.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Divide the dough in thirds and roll each third into a 20-inch-long rope. Braid the ropes. Set the braid on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until just puffy. Gently brush the braid with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put the bread in the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Take the bread out of the oven when it's internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F. and cool on a rack.

Sally

• triciae
    14 years ago

Tammy,

You noted that you were looking for that "thick tough crust"...

That type crust is largely a factor of fermentation (proofing), shaping technique, oven temp, length of baking, type of baking surface, steam, etc. rather than the recipe's ingredients although an unenriched dough will have a crust more in line with what you're looking for.

You'll have lots of help around here.

/tricia

• stacy3
    14 years ago

Hey Annie, I have Ann's recipe right here.

Tammy, AnnT's recipes are well known and respected around here.

Italian Bread - AnnT
    =============
    This recipe is also perfect for both Focaccia and Pizza.
    Sometimes I make a Biga the night before using 1 1/2 cups of the flour used in this recipe with one cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon yeast. If you don't have time to make the biga then this the recipe works just fine as follows. This is a very wet dough and needs to be mixed in a machine for a long time before you can finish kneading by hand. I use a Magic Mill Machine. If you are using something like a kitchenaide you have to watch it carefully as it climbs up the beater or hook.

8 Cups Bread flour
    1 Tablespoon Yeast
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    about 4 cups of water
    2 Tablespoons olive oil. (optional)
    . Mix flour yeast water and oil( Optional) (not salt) together for a
    minute and leave for 20 minutes for the water to be partially absorbed.
    Add salt and mix for about 30 minutes until the dough comes together
    enough to be worked by hand. Continue kneading until smooth. Place in
    an large oiled bowl and rub olive oil on top, cover and let rise until
    more than doubled. Pour out on to surface and divide into the number of
    loafs you require. Do not punch out the air. Shape into loafs, sprinkle
    tops with flour and leave to rise on a flour/cornmeal dusted surface.
    Heat tile/stones in oven to 500 degrees while bread is rising. Slide
    loafs on to hot stone and spray with cold water, three times, three
    minutes apart. Lower heat to 450 and bake for about 30 minutes. (I can
    do two loafs at a time in the oven on a large stone).
    Focaccia:

To make Focaccia use some of the dough and place in a oil rubbed pan
    (I use a rectangle shaped cake pan) Cover with plastic wrap and let
    rise. Using you fingers indend the focaccia and drizzle with olive oil.
    Sprinkle with whatever toppings you prefer. Salt, Rosemary, Sauted or
    thinly sliced onions, black olives, etc....
    Focaccia can be baked directly on heated pizza stone as well.
    I also use this recipe to make a number of large pizzas.

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tricia, when I make regular white bread I use an Amish White Bread recipe i found online once. I think it is 2 packs yeast, 1 cup water (maybe 2 off the top of my head), 6 cups of flour, however 5 usually works for me, 1/4 c oil, 1/2 c sugar, and I think a tsp of salt. I proof the yeast is some of the water and sugar for few minutes till foamy, let raise till double, pan out, then raise again, and bake at about 350° for about 25 min. I bake in aluminum pans. What would be the difference other than shape for Italian?

ci_lantro I checked out he recipe you sent. It sounds good. I forgot to mention until after I re-read yours, that when I have tried Italian before I used cornmeal on the pan. I dont remember the recipe i tried, but it didnt seem to develop the crust I like. Just seemed too much like white bread.

Sally thanks for that recipe as well. i am going to print it out.It sounds interesting.
    Tammy

• ann_t
    14 years ago

There really isn't much difference between French and Italian Bread. Basically flour, water, yeast and salt. You can change the texture of the crust and crumb by adjusting the water, the amount of yeast, the number of rises, whether you spray the crust with water or add steam to your oven.

If you want a bread with a great crust and texture you can't go wrong with Julia's Baguette bread recipe. And if you allow to have a long cold fermentation, two or three days, the crust and the texture as well as the flavour is that much better. I usually bake an 8 cup batch so that I can bake two or three loaves and save the rest to bake 2 or three days later.

Here are my two favourite bread recipes:

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

French Baguette
    ===============

Julia Child

1 package dry active yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
    3 1/2 cups unbleached flour (bread flour) (NOTE: I use 4 cups)
    2 1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/3 cups cold water plus 1/3 or so additional water

Place the flour, yeast and salt in the bowl of the food process. Pulse to mix. Add 1 1/3 cups of water and process until the dough comes together. If the dough doesn't form a ball, add a little of the extra water. Process for about 60 seconds, turn off machine and let dough rest for 5 minutes.

Turn on the machine again and rotate the dough about 30 times under the cover, and then remove it to a lightly floured work surface. it should be fairly smooth and quite firm.

Let the dough rest for 2 minutes and then knead roughly and vigourously. The final dough should not stick to your hands as you knead (although it will stick if you pinch and hold a piece); it should be smooth and elastic and, when you hold it up between your hands and stretch it down, it should hold together smoothly.

Preliminary rise - 40 to 60 minutes at around 75°F. Place the dough into a clean dry bowl, (do not grease the bowl), cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place free from drafts. (note the French do not grease the bowl because they believe the dough needs a seat to push up from). This first rise is sufficient when the dough has definitely started to rise and is about 1 1/2 times its original volume.

Deflating:

Turn the dough onto your lightly floured work surface roughly and firmly pat and push it out into a 14 inch rectangle. Fold one of the long sides over toward the middle, and the other long side over to cover it, making a 3 layer cushion. Repeat the operation. This important step redistributes the yeast throughout the dough, for a strong second rise. Return the dough smooth side up the bowl; cover with plastic wrap and again set to rise.

Final rise in the bowl - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer. The bread should be 2 1/2 to 3 times its original bulk. It is the amount of rise that is important here, not the timing.

To Shape,

Cut the dough in half. Set one piece aside and cover with a towel.

On a lightly floured work surface pat the dough into a 14 inch rectangle, squaring it up as evenly as you can.

Fold the rectangle of dough in half lengthwise and using the heel of your hand, firmly press the edges together whether they meet. Seat well. Pound the dough flat. Now repeat - patting the dough out again and folding it over and sealing the edges. Pinch the edges well and Rotate the dough so that the sealed edge in on the bottom.

Repeat with second piece of dough.

Cover with plastic wrap or loosely with a towel and let rise to more than double again at about 75°f.

Place stone in oven and Preheat oven to 450°F. Slash three long cuts into the loaves and place on the hot stone. Immediately toss a number of ice cubes on to the bottom on the oven to create steam. Bake until bread is golden and has an interior temp of 200°F. Takes about 30 minutes.

Making Dough in a Mixer or by Hand

When you are making dough in an electric mixer with a dough hook, proceed in the same general way with the rests indicated, and finish by hand. or mix the dough by hand in a bowl, turn out on a work surface, and start the kneading by lifting it up with a scraper and slapping it down roughly for several minutes until it has body. Let it rest several minutes and then proceed to knead.
    . This is the recipe I use as a basic outline. I use it more as a
    guideline.

I have a Magic Mill that I use to do most of the kneading. I still
    like to finish kneading by hand.

Today's bread was a sour dough based. I fed my sour dough starter
    before going to bed on Sunday night. I had four ounces of starter
    leftover so I it was used to make a biga and then left it to develop
    overnight.

The biga was added to about four cups of flour along with about 3/4
    teaspoon of yeast. (I measure yeast in the palm of my hand) and
    enough water added to make the dough. Once the water was added I left
    the mixture to rest for about 20 minutes. This allows the flour to
    absorb the water and makes kneading easier. This step is more
    important when working with a wet dough. Like a Ciabatta. At the end
    of 20 minutes I added the salt. Again measured in the palm of my hand.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Italian Bread
    =============

This recipe is also perfect for both Focaccia and Pizza.

Sometimes I make a Biga the night before using 1 1/2 cups of the flour used in this recipe with one cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon yeast. If you don't have time to make the biga then this the recipe works just fine as follows. This is a very wet dough and needs to be mixed in a machine for a long time before you can finish kneading by hand. I use a Magic Mill Machine. If you are using something like a kitchenaide you have to watch it carefully as it climbs up the beater or hook.

8 Cups Bread flour
    1 Tablespoon Yeast
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    about 4 cups of water
    2 Tablespoons olive oil. (optional)
    . Mix flour yeast water and oil( Optional) (not salt) together for a
    minute and leave for 20 minutes for the water to be partially absorbed.
    Add salt and mix for about 30 minutes until the dough comes together
    enough to be worked by hand. Continue kneading until smooth. Place in
    an large oiled bowl and rub olive oil on top, cover and let rise until
    more than doubled. Pour out on to surface and divide into the number of
    loafs you require. Do not punch out the air. Shape into loafs, sprinkle
    tops with flour and leave to rise on a flour/cornmeal dusted surface.
    Heat tile/stones in oven to 500 degrees while bread is rising. Slide
    loafs on to hot stone and spray with cold water, three times, three
    minutes apart. Lower heat to 450° and bake for about 30 minutes. (I can
    do two loafs at a time in the oven on a large stone).

Focaccia:

To make Focaccia use some of the dough and place in a oil rubbed pan
    (I use a rectangle shaped cake pan) Cover with plastic wrap and let
    rise. Using you fingers indent the focaccia and drizzle with olive oil.
    Sprinkle with whatever toppings you prefer. Salt, Rosemary, Sauted or
    thinly sliced onions, black olives, etc....

Focaccia can be baked directly on heated pizza stone as well.

I also use this recipe to make a number of large pizzas. .

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Tammy, FYI -- along with all the great advice from these knowledgeable and fabulous bakers, check out Tricia's FAQ on the CF, she has put a lot of work into it.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Tammy--the Jeff Smith recipe has a great crust. Besides the pan of water in the over, I popped the oven & misted the inside w/ water a couple-3 times while baking. Also, I only dusted the tops of the loaves--no egg wash.

• lisbet
    14 years ago

Instead of using plain, ordinary water in your recipe, try using the water that you boiled potatoes in. However, take care with the salt.....depending on how much you used in boiling the potatoes.

The potato water makes for a beauiful texture in the bread.

Provide steam for a nice crispy crust.

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, lots of fantastic info and recipes. I know what I am goign to be doing today and tomorrow.
    tammy

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

If you have a heavy duty mixer, try this Italian Batter Bread. Very crusty,simple, delicious. It appears to be the recipe from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tammy:
    I second that, on Tricia's FAQ
    Lou

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tricia's faq is fantastic. I learned a lot, and printed some things out for future reminders.
    UPDATE: I tried Julia's French Bagette from Ann_t above. It was fantastic. the crust was exactly what I wanted. We had homemade spaghetti with meat sauce, and a couple of these loaves. Usually all i get from my husband is "its OK", or "Its pretty good", or "Didnt care for it" Tonight he actually praised the whole meal. I also have the biga starter in a bowl to try out tomorrow.
    Tammy

• bcskye
    14 years ago

My sister sent me this one where you can use a bread machine on the dough setting, then finish off by hand and bake in the oven. I liked that because I don't have the strength or stamina to hand knead any longer. I tried it this past week and we really liked it.

Rustic Italian Bread

1 cup water (100-110 degrees)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 T. olive oil
    3 cups bread flour
    2 tsp. sugar
    2 1/4 tsp. yeast

cornmeal
    1 egg white, beaten

Place all ingredients except cornmeal and egg white in bread machine according to manufacturer's directions. Process on dough setting. Sprinkle cookie sheet with cornmeal. At the end of the dough cycle, place dough on lightly floured surface. Punch down dough. If too sticky, knead in additional flour. Cover with cloth and let rest for 15 minutes. Shape dough into a loaf about 12" long. Place on cookie sheet, cover, let rise in warm place for 20-25 minutes or until double in size. Heat oven to 375 degrees. With sharp knife, make 1 deep lengthwise slit in top of loaf. Brush with beaten egg white. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when slightly tapped.

I put parchment paper on my cookie sheet before I sprinkled on the cornmeal.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Tammy, thanks for the update. Glad you gave Julia's recipe a try. It really is one of the best.

It also makes the best pizza crust.

Ann

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tammy:
    How did you do it so fast???
    Lou

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Weeeellll...I kinda missed the first part of the instructions that recommending it sit for a couple of days first.I will do this next time. I think i started about 2 PM, and we didnt end up having supper until about 6:30 pm. I dont know why but I had to add about another 1/2 c of water to the 3.5 c of flour, and baked about 8 minutes less.

I know I can make the bread ahead and freeze, but since this is good for pizza crust too, how can I freeze dough or crust for later pizza use?
    tammy

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Tammy, the original recipe doesn't call for a two day fermentation. But I often make this bread in advance and refrigerate it. It is a superior loaf to begin with and only gets better if given a couple of days in the fridge.

Also, it isn't uncommon to have to increase the amount of water called for in a bread recipe. Or sometimes decrease it. A lot of it depends on the flour.

I actually reduce the yeast specified in this recipe. And I will often adjust this recipe by increasing the water. Just produces a different texture.

If you want to make pizza and you aren't going to use the dough within two or three days, then I would shape the crust and prebake it for 5 or 6 minutes, let it cool and wrap and freeze the crust. Then all you have to do is remove it from the freezer add your toppings and bake on a preheated stone.

Ann

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ann, do you mean you refridgerate your bread AFTER baking, or just the dough until ready to bake?

Thaks so much for the pizza tip. Do you let the dough raise again, and for how long after shaping? I think when we mmake homemade pizza, the dough is just allowed to sit for maybe 10 minutes. And how long do the pizzas need to bak once brought back out of the freezer? (my teens love quick meals for lunch, I am sick of the cheap freezer pizza's in the store)
    Tammy
    Tammy

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Ann, I'm going to try your (Julia's) bread recipe, too. Don't know exactly when, but soon. Thanks.

Sally

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Tammy, if you are not going to bake the dough the same day, here is what you do:

After the first rise, knock the dough down , place in a large container, cover tightly and refrigerate.

. You can leave it in the fridge for two or three days. On the day you are going to bake, take the dough out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. It will probably take between two and three hours.

If the dough is already at the top of the container when you remove it from the fridge, knock it down first. The dough will rise again as it warms up.

Once it is at room temperature, tip it out on to a floured board/counter and divide and shape your loaves. Once they have risen again they are ready to bake.

I sprinkle my rising loaves with lots of flour and drape loosely with plastic wrap. They are slashed just before they are slid on to a stone that has been preheated in a 500°F oven. I toss ice cubes on to the floor of the oven and I spray the loaves with water. I usually spay them again two more times 3 to 4 minutes apart.

As for the pizzas, I bake pizzas on a stone that is preheated to between 500°F to 520°F. I prefer a thin crust so they don't take long to bake. Less than 10 minutes.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Ann

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tammy:

You can make your own Customized Pizza's.
    I make about 6 Prebaked Dough for Pizza and freeze them.

I use pans and strech the dough out to the edge and up, for a crust.
    They are 10 in. round . The Sicilian size is 11 x 16.

Here is what I do.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

: An alterative to baking on a stone is to use pans. A 12 inch round pizza will take from 8 to 12 ounces of dough. According to thickness you want. After the dough is made weigh it out and roll into balls. Oil the pans and place a dough ball in the pan and flatten slightly, working the dough towards the side of the pan, with the palms.

Then let it rest a few minutes. Repeat this every so often until the dough reaches the side and up, enough for a crust about 1/2 inch. Let it raise slightly , pinch the dough all over, with a fork and put into the oven to bake at 400 deg. If it bubbles while baking pinch it with a fork again. When light tan specks show ,take them out onto a rack to cool fast. Then you can use them right away or freeze , to use later.
    When cooking the Pizza, place the Pre Baked dough back in the oiled pan ,
    Or cook on your Stone.
    put a ladle of sauce on the dough and swish it around, sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano , put it in the oven for a few minutes. Take it out and spread the topping of your choice and the Cheese Topping. A good topping cheese is a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone chopped and mixed. The provolone gives it a good flavor and doesn't get like rubber when it cools.
    I use all Provolone. A little trick for baking. Keep a cup of water and brush handy, to baste parts that are cooking too fast. If you can get new metal pans, (uncoated) they have to be cured in the oven, so they won't stick. Coat them with oil and bake them for at least 6 hours. Never clean them with soap and water. Just rinse with water & wipe with a paper towel.

Dough recipe:
    1 cup of warm water (not hot)
    1 Package of Active Dry Yeast 1 tablesps sugar ,in a half cup of warm water
    1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
    1 teasp. Salt
    About 3 1/2 cups Flour
    1/2 cup of Whole wheat flour or up to 1 cup

Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast if risen
    Add the oil and salt and more flour.
    Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
    Knead until smooth. Put it back in the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
    Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
    I put it in a warm oven, Covered with a damp towel. It rises in about 1 hour.

When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
    Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans. 12" round
    Dough should be about 3/16 " thick on the bottom and about 1/2" around the edge.
    For Sicilian Pizza , I used most of the dough in a 11" X 16" pan
    Follow the previous instructions.
    Good luck, Lou

You can also Google " Lou's Pizza Dough "

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann and Hawk, you guys have been loads of help. I cant wait to try these.

A question on white bread. If my bread is spreading out too much when baked,rather than rising straight up like these Italian Breads are doing, is the problem that I dont have enough flour in my dough?
    Tammy

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Not necessarily. It might be that you didn't form the loaf tight enough when you were shaping it.

I often make bread that has a higher precentage of water (very wet dough) and the loaves will rise if shaped properly.

Here is a link to a Pictorial I made a few years ago on working with wet doughs.

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, Ann, I checked that site. I am not sure what you mean about pinching the seam. Usually when i make hot rolls, I just grab a chunk in my hand and force out a ball between my thumb and index finger, squeezing it off at the end and lay out in a pan. For loaves, I shape it to fit the pan. it seems when in the pan for the last raise, the dough will widen out to fill the areas around it, before it really starts to raise up much. I just talked with my MIL,she makes the best smooth textured white bread, but she never measures anything, just throws things in. So getting a recipe to follow from her isnt so easy. I have been using water, but she says she uses all milk except to proof the yeast.I think the white bread recipe I have been using calls for 2 cups of water, 2 packs of yeast, 6 cups of flour, and a 1/4 c of oil. I dont know if its the recipe or me.
    Tammy

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot the 1/2 c of sugar
    Tammy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Tammy, some very wet doughs, like that Italian, WILL spread when rising, I never get the shaping well enough to keep it from turning into a pancake.

I've tried shaping the loaf on a towel with the edges pulled up to keep it from running, but I can't get it off the cloth without deflating the dough. I know there are canvas cloths for that purpose too.

If I have to do something more than twice, I run out of patience with it and it's as likely to go into the garbage as it is into the oven. Since I have absolutely no patience when it comes to messing around with it any more, I have reverted to baking in a long pan shaped like a "u", with no ends (I hope that made sense). It makes a long crusty baguette type loaf and that's good enough for me.

Hopefully you are more patient than I am, my last batch I gave up on, flattened out and made foccacia and it was darned good. (grin)

Yeah, I know, if I messed with it long enough and tried enough times, it would work. I just don't care enough, so I toss it in that pan instead of going back and reading Ann T's excellent pictorial one more time.

Annie

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, I tried the recipe I quoted above but changed a few things. Since my MIL uses milk, I used 2 cups milk, 1 cup warm water for proofing, 2/3 oil(which half was crisco,MIL said she used all crisco),8 cups of flour, about 2 tsp salt, 3 packs of yeast, and 1/2 cup sugar. I usually use my kitchenaide due to the fibromyalgia problems, but since I increased the size of recipe, and dough seemed denser, I got it mixed really well, then took it out and finished kneading it. I knew even tho it was denser, it still felt very good. I made 1 sm loaf, and a lot of pepperoni rolls for the kids, since me and my husband wanted soupbeans and cornbread. The dough was so much better. It even raised nicely, no running together. So I think the biggest culprit to my problem was the denser dough from more flour.I dont know if crisco would make any difference. I figure the better texture was due to the milk. I think it also helped to actually feel the dough by hand kneading.
    Tammy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Tammy, milk does make a difference in the texture of baked breads, they are softer and seem "moister" with milk. Grandma's old farmhouse white bread always used milk, which she scalded back in the days when we milked our own cows.

I do a lot of bread making by "feel", but I've gotten to the point where I can grab a little piece out of the bread machine, roll it around in my hands and tell how it is, so I don't need to knead the whole chunk!

I'm glad you're happy with your bread, so what are pepperoni rolls anyway?

Annie

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, I forgot most of the south isnt familiar with these. Same with Cocoa Wheats. I take some strips of pepperoni and roll it up in bread dough and bake about 20 of these little rolls at a time. The kids love em.My SIL lives in TN now. She made these rolls once, and had everyone fascinated.
    Tammy

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Today it snowed so I took advantage of the time off & made Julia's Baguettes. They didn't look as perfect as Ann T's but the crust was superb, a lovely 'holey' texture on the inside & the taste - delicious.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I made Julia's Baguettes for our Valentine's Day dinner. Also, homemade beef-barley vegetable soup. My husband is just getting his taste buds back after surgery and is enjoying it!

Thanks, Ann, for posting this once again!

Just a question. The bread tasted a bit salty. Would it be possible to reduce the salt the next time I made it?

• jude31
    14 years ago

Annie, Teresa nc posted a limk to pepperoni rolls sometime ago and it has a blow by blow description with pictorials (Chickens in the Road). Just do a search for pepperoni rolls and it's in Teresa'a "Almost done" thread. If I was more computer savvy I could do better. I saved it on My Clippings but without your email address I don't know how to send it to you. I made them a couple of weeks ago but I didn't use enough pepperoni in them. They're very tasty and I bet your young ones would like them.

jude

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jude. If you click on my name in a thread it'll take you to my page where you can send me an email. I use the same email for GardenWeb mail that I use for everything else, it's annie1992 at yahoo.com.

Annie

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Beachlily, Yes, adjust the salt to suit your own taste.

Ann

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found Suzanne's post about the pepperoni rolls. The link is below. I love her blog. I do make my pepperoni rolls slightly different, but her's sure sound good. I will have to try them out that way. Mine is made more like the traditional roll. I just flatten out a chunk of dough in my hand, lay down a few pepperoni sticks side by side, then if I have it I place on some pepperjack cheese. Then just roll it up. She appeared to leave the ends open, but I have always sealed all openings. I have to admit, the garlic in the dough that she mentioned sounds very good as well.
    Thanks for mentioning her blog.
    Tammy