SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

artisan 5 minute bread book reviews?

stacy3
16 years ago

ok, so I'm a big fan of the 5 minute bread.

I think it's a fantastic time saver for someone like me - who doesn't always think far enough in advance to make bread - and also doesn't always want to make the mess I always seem to make when I get out flour.

The bread allows me to make the mess once and bake loaves of bread pretty effortlessly for a week or more.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the rest of the book. for those of you who have it, is it worth it?

I value all of your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Stacy

Comments (40)

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

I just received mine yeserday, so haven' had a chance to look at it yet. Would also like to hear from others who have it.

Shelley

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Wow Stacy timing - I was insomniac surfing this AM and checked out the reviews at Amazon. There was one good (quality, not necessarily praise) review by an experienced baker. Now I have to get my library to order it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artisan bread book @ amazon

• Related Discussions

Has anyone baked out of 'Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day'?

Q

Comments (33)
    Yes, I certainly understand your motivation. If it didn't work for me, I would not be writing, as I am. I am a very inexperienced baker. Are you using SAF yeast? I ask because, I don't know yeast from a television, but, an experienced, respected, inspirational baker on the kitchens forum has recently discovered that red star yeast does not always work and SAF always does. So to give me every chance of success, I got SAF yeast. I love the smell, too. I keep th e yeast in the freezer. I am so inexperienced that I researched where to keep the yeast. This baker also only uses bottled spring water. I still use tap water. The authors say kosher salt. So I use kosher salt. And I bought King Arthur flour, because bakers whom I respect use KA flour. Just trying to increase my odds of success in this goofy adventure. Linnea, these are only my thoughts. I have been lucky with abin5. Happy and excited. If you think your flour may be the culprit in not achieving what you want, then think of solutions---change brands, further research the flour brand/water ratio. Good luck.
    ...See More

5 Minute Artisan Bread - questions

Q

Comments (12)
    Shaun, are you working on the master recipe? If so, you won't notice much of a rise during the resting period. Most of the rising will happen during baking. According to the authors' instructions, you should preheat the oven to 450°F twenty minutes before baking. But as you know, I don't follow directions well, so I'd recommend preheating the oven at least 30 minutes prior. Their recipe also suggests you liberally flour the top of your loaf before slashing it, so the blade won't stick to the dough. Well, I don't like a lot of flour baked into my bread, so I always skip that step and the blade slices through the dough without sticking. Just be fearless with the blade and do quick, clean cuts. Stick it in the preheated oven with a baking stone placed on the middle rack and place an empty broiler tray (for holding 1 cup hot water) on another shelf -any shelf- as long as it doesn't interfere with the rising of the bread. We'll be waiting with anticipation for the reveal of your glorious buns, on this heah public forum[G]. Sol
    ...See More

We had Artisan Bread in 5 a Day, now tell me about HEALTHY vers

Q

Comments (7)
    I am a binge challah baker from the abin5 book. Four challahs today-now are in the freezer. I, there is a lot of info on artisanbreadinfive.com that isn't in their books-especially their listing of publishing errors They call it errata ,on the web. I know you bake beautiful things. You might like to take a look at zoebakes.com, which is Zoe's own website-she is a pastry chef. Haven't tried ww as I am stuck on challah.
    ...See More

'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' question

Q

Comments (30)
    blueheron, Did you use course salt (kosher or sea salt)? The dough should be wet but not so wet you can't do anything with it. I mix the ingredients in my KitchenAid just until blended then dump it into a big stoneware bowl I've got. I leave it on the counter, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 2 or 3 hours. Then I deflate it with a plastic spatula (really, the thing from my rice cooker) and dump it on the well-floured counter (since I'm usually baking one loaf that day). I keep a spice jar (that once held sesame seeds) about half full of flour and shake enough flour onto the dough that I can touch it without sticking. I cut off a lump - sometimes 1/4 sometimes 1/3- with a bench knife/scraper then scoop the rest of the dough into a container with a loose fitting lid for it's fridge time. I use a piece of cornmeal sprinkled parchment paper on a flat cookie sheet and let it sit for about an hour. I preheat the baking stone, sprinkle the slash area with the flour (from the spice jar) and cut with a sharp paring knife -somtimes freshly run through the sharpener gadget. I cut about 1/4-1/2" deep then slide the paper onto the stone (and of course add the water to the other preheated pan). I think a lot of it is not adding too much flour to the interior of the dough. Disclaimers: I use KA bread flour - haven't tried any others yet. I also live at 7000' elevation in a very dry climate with a generally cool house. I haven't made the bread anywhere else, so YMMV.
    ...See More
  • triciae
    16 years ago

Well, I'd been quietly reading the thread on this 5-Minute Bread. I ordered my book from Amazon & received it last Friday. On Saturday, I made a batch of the basic dough reducing the flour quantity by 1/4 cup to allow for the higher protein content of my KA AP flour. I mixed it in my Magic Mill, dumped it into a KA 6 Quart Dough Bucket, & plopped it on the counter to raise. My kitchen is around 62-64 degrees & the dough took a bit over 4 hours until it started to collapse (it didn't reach the lid). Tossed the bucket into the frig until Monday. DH is the only one eating bread in our household at the moment so I didn't want to bake off much. Monday night, I dusted the top with flour, sawed off about a small baseball size glob, dusted with flour, & cloaked the dough. The dough was quite soft so I used parchment paper on my metal peel (I don't like burning cornmeal), plunked my cloaked loaf on the peel, & slashed the loaf. I veered from the instructions by preheating my oven/stone at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. I lowered the temperature to 375 degrees when I put the bread in the oven & tossed about a dozen ice cubes into a pan beneath my stone. Oven pop was adequate but not impressive. I normally bake for about 40 minutes so that's what I did with this bread....ignoring the 30 minute instructions because I was using a lower temperature. After 40 minutes, it looked good enough to me so I took it out & put on a rack. It sounded like a box of Rice Krispies sitting on the rack...so far, so good. Turned my attention to making DH a quick pasta topped with pesto & chopped tomatoes. The bread had only cooled about 20-25 minutes when I tore a hunk off for DH's dinner. The crust was thin & crackly. The crumb was much denser than I would have liked but I said nothing so as not to influence DH's opinion. DH proclaimed it a miracle! I frowned. All these years of striving for the perfect loaf of artisan bread & he proclaimed this dense loaf with a tight crumb a "miracle"! :(

What can I say? DH loved it. It's not nearly as good as the bread I've been serving him for the past two decades. Obviously, he's not as discerning as I thought...so who am I to complain. This bread was easy-peasy with no mess & no fuss. No, it's not nearly as good as my usual technique but I won't dismiss it entirely. It uses a lot of yeast & salt which I don't like though. For six cups of flour...I prefer to use just a teaspoon of yeast/salt & allow more development time. The aroma of this bread was noticeably lacking. Possibly, that will improve as the dough ages in the frig? I do think it will be handy to have around for a fast pizza or dinner rolls. It takes up a lot of frig space which I also wouldn't like for a ongoing basis. It's never going to replace my standard techniques. I enjoyed the thought of 5-Minute Bread more than the actual bread.

Oh well, it was fun & I've got a new book! ...

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I've had my book for a week and a half but my biz trip got in the way of really reading it.

I looked at it more last night and think it is pretty clearly written for novice bakers, like me. There are loads of different recipes using the mix lots and keep in the fridge technique. I think Sol's almond brioche is a lovely endorsement. I'm going to try the basic brioche recipe this weekend.

I've also read lots of articles, and blogs and forum threads discussing it on the net. There are videos out there also.

I don't buy a lot of cookbooks anymore, I do not want the 300+ that I have to increase to 500, and there are so many resources on the net. But, for my level of baking, the $18.45 cost at Amazon was well worth it.

Lee

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Tricia, you posted while I typed.

I've read, and learned - at least intellectually - so much from your posts, and the other experienced bakers here, on bread over the last few years, and I thank you because I do always want to know the "why" of things, even when I don't have the confidence to try some of the more complicated recipes.

And I am not surprised at what you wrote as a skilled and practiced baker. I'm glad your DH liked it and it does make good pizza, although those of you who make lots of pizza may not think it the best crust either, LOL.

I hope this technique will give me the confidence, slowly in my case, to expand to other types of bread. For now, I feel successful that I can mix together flour, salt, yeast and water and end up with BREAD!

Lee, who baked her first French bread ever with about half a dozen phone calls to Ann T about two years ago.

• stacy3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jessy, thanks that was a good review. I'm sorry about your sleep troubles...I can sympathize - I have slept fairly well for 2 nights in a row which is almost a miracle! I felt good today til just got a call that I have to go back to the hospital. sigh. I'm so sorry for my mom, and I know she's tired of this, but I am too.

tricia, thanks for the info - I laughed! a miracle - hee hee. I've made it a few times and don't recall the crackle that I've heard people talk about...

And Lee, I"m with you. I am pretty much a novice too. Hey, can you do anything to the basic dough after it's in the fridge? Like make a tub of basic stuff and then as you pull of hunks of it, make it "different"? ((like I had to tell you, I'm a novice using baking terms like "stuff" and "hunks"...))

Stacy

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

So far all I can say is that it's been a nice diversion for a cold February!

I got the book a week or so ago but only got around to making the initial recipe this week. My results have not been as good as I would have hoped. Reading Tricia's post it may be becasue our Canadian AP is so much higher in gluten so I'll reduce the flour next time.

Didn't get the rise I expected but maybe I just didn't let it rise long enough on the initial rise.

So I'm trying again, tweaking a bit and hoping for good results. Hopefully I'll figure it out 'cause it sure is easy and I love the idea of being able to make a quick pizza!

I will say that the book is a nice easy read, very clear, and has lots of great sounding recipes... if I ever get past basic....

• nandina
    16 years ago

Yes, this is dense, rustic bread but perfect for dipping in garlic/olive oil combinations. Last evening I mixed together butter, garlic, chopped chives and parsley. Spread slices of the Artisan bread with this and semi-toasted them in the toaster oven. The texture of the bread softened and it was delicious! DH likes it so much he mixed up another batch for me this morning. That's a first!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I have only made one batch of the basic dough so far. I baked the first loaf the next day and a second loaf 2 days later. The second loaf had more flavor and bigger holes.
    I waited a full week before baking the third loaf, even more flavor!

One thing to note that I have seen mentioned elsewhere, the initial instructions say to let rise for 40 min...if using the dough right away. If the dough comes out of the refrigerator it needs to have about 1hr 40min before baking. I didn't time mine exactly the other day but it was 2 hrs after removing from the fridge before I baked it.

I haven't bought the book yet, but I will.

Nancy

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

I'm 1 and 1 with this method so far. I made the basic recipe before I bought the book, and I was very happy with the bread I wound up with. Today I made some challah, and I'm not quite as thrilled.

I thought it would make a good basis for comparison, since I've been baking challah the old-fashioned way for so long. I made one large loaf earlier today, and I have another, smaller one in the oven right now, to give to a single friend. Both loaves did that thing where they pull apart at the point where the strands of the braids touch one another, and get all stringy looking. That never happened to me using my grandma's recipe. Does anyone know what the cause is? I've got two loaves that don't look up to my usual standards. The first one tastes okay, although I think maybe it could stand to be a bit sweeter.

So I guess the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the method is better for some things than for others.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Chase would be interested in your results after tweaking, as I too will be using canadian flour.

Shelley

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Well, just some guesses on the braids pulling apart and shredding -

A braided challah is best with a fairly stiff dough and the strands should be somewhat loose to allow for expansion. That yields a loaf with the most beautiful definition.

So probably the recipe has a higher hydration; then with a softer dough there's a tendency to compensate by braiding more tightly. You look at the shape with the assumption it indicates the final appearance, but with oven spring the braids burst against each other. Hence, the shredding.

I ordered this book a week ago (won't come for a while because I combined shipping with an upcoming release). It's interesting and informative to hear how the recipes perform.

Carol

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Hey Maureen did the challahs look like this?

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Didn't buy the book but tried the basic recipe as I liked the idea of delaying bread baking. My first loaf came out OK but lacked flavor, the second about 3 days later I baked in a pan because I wanted sandwich bread. The flavor was better but it was very much like sourdough bread, and overdried when toasted. DH liked the flavor even though it was pretty crisp and dry toast. The last batch I made into hamburger buns but they did not rise well in the time alloted, probably needed another hour so our hamburgers were smallish. I think I will try the sweet bread recipe before buying the book but I'm thinking I'll probably wait until I've had a chance to look at the book at Borders before buying. My cookbook case is fully out of room anyway.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Jessy, is that bread from the Art. in 5 book? Why do you think it split? The inside (and outside) look good though - I'll bet it tasted great.

Lee

• ann_t
    16 years ago

bump

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

I didn't get that cool split-level look yours has, Jessy. My spread was mostly lateral (no smart remarks, please). ;o) But it happened right down the middle the way yours did. The strands of the braid retained definition but got all shreddy in the center.

So, Carol, are you saying that if I just braid more loosely with my last batch of this dough, I might be able to avoid that problem? I'm also wondering if the level of hydration (about which I know zilch) changes as the raw dough sits in the fridge for several days. I should check the book and see if they have anything to say about that. Thank you for the information.

I also realize that when I said it could be sweeter, I might really have meant eggier. This recipe makes four one-pound loaves, but it only calls for four eggs, which seems pretty chintzy compared to the recipes I've used in the past. So next time I'll throw in an extra egg or three and see what happens.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

That's just a guess. One possibility. As you know, all kinds of things can happen with bread; there are so many variables. Since I don't have the book (yet) I haven't taken a look at the recipe, but that's what Jeff Hamelman says. I know that I have a beautiful challah recipe that has never shredded, yet I have experienced shredding with some other braided loaves that are much less dense.

Somewhere (if only I can get my brain to co-operate) I read another take on shredding, but darned if I remember which book it was in. If I run across more info I'll share it later. The other thought would be under-proofed bread coupled with a dry surface. Then you get that oven-spring and whoosh!

One of the things I've been wondering about the recipes in this book has to do with the sweet doughs. Usually they don't benefit from long refrigeration. The dough ferments and you get that boozy taste after a day or two. (Boozy may not be a bad thing, LOL, but I'm not wild about it in brioche, for instance.) So I'm curious about their instructions and whether they've come up with a way to compensate for excess alcohols.

Just some thoughts.

Carol

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Carol, the book suggests storing most of the doughs with egg or milk for only 5 days, but says you can freeze them for longer storage.

The last loafs worth of dough that I had in one batch (not an egg dough) smelled very winey when I shaped it but it did not smell or taste that way after it was baked. I was surprised.

Lee

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

I read of this book here some time back. I made the basic recipe and it turned out well. I am pleased. I had Barnes and Noble order the book and I have since made the whole wheat. I baked the last two loaves this morning, sharing one with a friend. I have bought rye flour and it will be the next project. I love this concept and I'm greatful to whomever posted the initial thread.

• triciae
    16 years ago

I made my second batch of the regular 5-Minute dough yesterday. I'm much happier with this batch after making a couple adjustments. First, I reduced the flour even more...down to 5-1/2 cups from the 6-1/2 called for in the original recipe. I used KA all-purpose. My first batch, I reduced the flour by just 1/4 cup & it wasn't enough to allow for the higher protein content of KA. Then, because DH said the first batch was a "miracle" I questioned him a bit this past weekend as he was finishing off the rest of the batch I'd made into rolls. He said it was saltier than my usual breads. Ah ha! That made sense...DH has a salt addiction. As I said in my first post above...this recipe uses a lot of salt. So, yesterday I reduced the salt to about 3/4 tablespoon. That's down from 1-3/4 tablespoon in the original recipe. I like the consistency of the dough much better this time with substantially less flour...much looser dough. It should make a less dense loaf. I have doctor's appointments in NY starting tomorrow so I won't bake any of this off until Saturday. I'll post how it differs from my first attempt.

/tricia

• triciae
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention that I didn't wash out my dough raising bucket as per the recipe instruction. I just pushed anything that was clinging to the sides down to the bottom before adding the new dough. So, in theory...flavor & aroma should also be improved with this batch. We'll see?

/t

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Last night I mixed my third batch using all KA Bread Flour and decreasing the yeast to 1T and 1t. I only let it rise to double and then put it in the fridge - it was at a level just below the 4 quart line. These changes were suggestions for high altitude. This batch of dough had 910 gm of flour and 750 gm of water. I used 18 gm of salt. Salt is always a mystery to me because recipes tend, I think, to make the assumption that Kosher salt is a more coarse grind and this is not always true. This morning, I shaped a boule, put it back in the fridge loosely covered and I am going to bake it around 5:00, cold from the fridge, on a preheated stone, another high altitude suggestion.

Tricia, I have two questions for you. Why did you decrease the flour instead of increasing the water? I'm asking because I think I would want to end up with a little more dough rather than a little less. Second, I have thought of storing the dough in the fridge, after the first amount has been taken out, in a gallon ziplock with a piece of a drinking straw put in the top of the bag at the seal and the bag just closed up to the straw to provide some air space. My question is, do you think the ordinary movement of the bag with taking things out and putting things in on the shelf would be detrimental to maintaining the bubbles in dough? I know that even being careful the bag would probably get squished and moved around a little. I have tried using progressively smaller containers - once my last piece of dough pushed the top off - guess that container was too small.

Thanks.

Lee

• triciae
    16 years ago

Lee,

I wasn't sure how much to adjust the dough's hydration. The book speaks about using less flour to allow for higher protein contents of some AP flours like KA & so, I guess, I just had flour reduction stuck in my mind. No real 'reason'. Either way would work, obviously.

I'd be more concerned that the dough would dry out rather than loosing a few of the air bubbles?? If you try the Ziplock, let us know because it would sure save space.

/tricia

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Thanks Tricia, I'm baking the first loaf from this batch tonight and I will do one more as soon as we need it, then I'll put the rest in a ziplock with a straw and see what happens. Maybe the zip lock could just be left unclosed for an inch or so. I guess if enough gas formed in the bag it would find it's way out. I'm just a little gun shy after my last batch pushed itself out of the container.

Lee

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

My batch of challah dough pushed its way out of the container, too, Lee. I panicked for a few seconds, thinking I had no idea how much more rise it had in it, but then I kept gently pushing it down each time got uppity, and there didn't seem to be any harm done. A few crusty patches formed, but I kneaded them into the dough and they disappeared. Just another Lucy moment.

Carol, thanks for your theory on tight braiding versus loose. I baked the last of that dough yesterday and made the braid a lot looser than I normally would have. No shredding! You're a genius. Challah-lujah!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Challah-lujah! LOL

Here's the loaf I baked using the high altitude suggestions. It definitely is the highest loaf of any I've baked. I used SAF yeast for the first time, and that may have made a difference too. I shaped the loaf at 9:00 this morning, put it on parchment in the refrigerator, preheated the oven with the stone on the middle shelf and an iron pan for water below. I baked the bread right from the refrigerator at 6:00 and slid it off the parchment for the final 10 minutes or so. The crust was great, top and bottom, thin and crunchy. Unfortunately the shots I took of the cut loaf immediately after the shot of the whole loaf were all orange. Maybe my battery was running down or I inadvertently changed a setting. I'm clueless, you'll just have to believe me that it had nice holes.

I used all KA bread flour and I learned that I really prefer some white whole wheat flour in the mix for a more rustic bread.

Lee

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Okay, I am probably missing the obvious - but what is the original recipe for the 5 minute artisan bread?

I think I am getting confused between the no knead and the artisan.

The pictures have been amazing that everyone has been posting. Lee - wow!

I would love to make it - can you point me the right way?

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

I really like the book..would give it as gifts..

I like the bread too..:)
    Sharon..I get more of a rise w/ the peasant bread..try it..
    I also used RH bread flour yesterday maybe that helped..
    I find w/ the boule.. the first recipe in the book..my bread flattens a lot.. I think i need to put LESS flour for that recipe..it's too wet and puddles..
    I love the ease.. no mess.. same proofing bucket.. it's just there..
    I quite favor this book..
    And toasted..delish..

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

The book is on it's way here....a birthday gift, along with another baking cookbook.

I've been making the basic Crusty Bread recipe and am anxious to try some of the others.

Nancy

• stacy3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Maggie, here is the recipe. There was also a link to a video somewhere...

From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery that Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007). Copyright 2007 by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.

Serves 4

Note: This recipe must be prepared in advance.

1-1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (about 1-1/2 packets)
    1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
    6-1/2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for dusting dough
    Cornmeal
    In a large plastic resealable container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm (about 100 degrees) water. Using a large spoon, stir in flour, mixing until mixture is uniformly moist with no dry patches. Do not knead. Dough will be wet and loose enough to conform to shape of plastic container. Cover, but not with an airtight lid.

Let dough rise at room temperature, until dough begins to flatten on top or collapse, at least 2 hours and up to 5 hours. (At this point, dough can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks; refrigerated dough is easier to work with than room-temperature dough, so the authors recommend that first-time bakers refrigerate dough overnight or at least 3 hours.)

When ready to bake, sprinkle cornmeal on a pizza peel. Place a broiler pan on bottom rack of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and repeat oven to 450 degrees, preheating baking stone for at least 20 minutes.

Sprinkle a little flour on dough and on your hands. Pull dough up and, using a serrated knife, cut off a grapefruit-size piece (about 1 pound). Working for 30 to 60 seconds (and adding flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to hands; most dusting flour will fall off, it's not intended to be incorporated into dough), turn dough in hands, gently stretching surface of dough, rotating ball a quarter-turn as you go, creating a rounded top and a bunched bottom.

Place shaped dough on prepared pizza peel and let rest, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it in lidded container. (Even one day's storage improves flavor and texture of bread. Dough can also be frozen in 1-pound portions in airtight containers and defrosted overnight in refrigerator prior to baking day.) Dust dough with flour.

Using a serrated knife, slash top of dough in three parallel, ¼-inch deep cuts (or in a tic-tac-toe pattern). Slide dough onto preheated baking stone. Pour 1 cup hot tap water into broiler pan and quickly close oven door to trap steam. Bake until crust is well-browned and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Stacy, mucho gracias! I think I am confused - was thinking it was in a dutch oven. I don't have a stone. Will scroll back up to read again when I have a little more time.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Maggie, I have linked below the basic recipe as posted in the NY Times. In case you would rather use weights here are gram amounts: 2# of flour = 908 g, 735g water if you are using bread or high protein flour or 682 gm water if you are using AP, 18 gm or 1 1/2 T salt, 1 1/2 T yeast. You can also watch a short video here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-artisan_bread_9jan09,1,5858363.story?ctrack=5&cset=true

or here: http://www.startribune.com/video/11967361.html

I have preferred using a mix of white whole wheat flour and bread flour (I use 1 cup of white whole wheat and then add bread flour until I am at 910 gm flour - my scale only reads in increments of 5 grams so I go up a little. The authors say you can let the dough mix rise on your counter for two to five hours and then either take some out and bake it or refrigerate over night or longer and then take out and shape, let warm up and bake. I have always refrigerated the dough before baking any to let the flavor develop. I have only baked on parchment on a preheated stone and slid the parchment out for the last 10-15 minutes of baking (except the loaf that I baked in the clay baker where the parchment stayed in the whole time).

The big differences between this bread and the No-Knead is that this uses a lot of yeast, makes a bigger quantity, and can be stored in the fridge up to two weeks so you can just take some dough out and bake it at any time. I think the breads are also quite different in taste and texture and I prefer the thinner and more crunchy crust on the Art. in 5 recipe. I have made all three batches of dough just with a wooden spoon in my dough container. I'm not sure my FP would handle this amount of flour. I'll probably try it in a stand mixer but I'm not sure if it will be worth the cleaning time.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic dough - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Stacy got there while I was looking things up and typing - now you have something additional to read and look at. Always better to have more info.

Please be sure to show us if you try the bread.

Lee

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Thank you, Lee. The results look just amazing. Maybe it is time to get a stone - have been wanting one and this is giving me the push.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Nancy, I think you'll enjoy your birthday book.

I've only tried a few recipes from the book. And the bread I've disliked so far was their Oatmeal Bread. It was pretty bland.
    My old Oatmeal Bread recipe was a heck of a lot better, unfortunately I lost it in my last move.
    However, their Brioche, and also, their Sun-Dried Tomato and Parmesan Bread turned out great.

Outstanding Boule Lee!

Sol

• stacy3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh my friend sol, I've been waiting for that one post that pushed me over the edge...i'm off to amazon to order :-)

• magic_arizona
    16 years ago

Here is the video demonstration if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art in 5 video

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Yippeeeeee! It came today and looks good. I can't wait to read it.

I'll be baking up a storm, in the same box was another new book, "Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More" by Carole Walter. Talk about salivating...you should see the Danish.

Nancy

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I'm still waiting for my copy of the book. I just got an email from Amazon that it's on its way.

I am definitely saving this thread. It's like a tutorial on the recipes with all the helpful hints that only come from actually working with the dough.

Maureen, I'm so glad my braiding suggestion worked for you. I second the Challah-lujah! ;)

Carol