SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

The Chicken Feet Challenge!

gardengrl
16 years ago

O.k., since I'm fascinated by this whole chicken feet thing, I decided to give it a try. I'll post the process as I go along.

After explaining to hubby just WHY I had to find some chicken feet, we were on a mission. Where do you buy chicken feet, you might ask? Well, we are lucky to have a diverse ethnic population here in the city beautiful known as Orlando. Most self-respecting Asian or Latin grocery will carry chicken feet. Apparently, theyÂve known all about the wonders of feet for some time. I also love going to Asian groceries, as I can find the neatest things there. I got a bargain on some black rice vinegar and dark sesame oil, which will be used for something tasty in the future; IÂm sure.

First, some fun.

If in the proximity of a chicken foot, feel free to chase your spouse, children, pets, neighbors, etc. around the house while screaming "Yarrrr! Yarrr!" (clucking just doesnÂt have the same effect).

Little Birdy's Dirty Feet

O.k., after that, you prep the little suckers for their first wash, according to Elise at Simply Recipes. Here are the little scaly things ready for boiling:

They're in the pot, ready for boil:

STAY TUNED!!!

Comments (107)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I might could be convinced to brave the EWWW chicken toes for a stock like that....
    Imagine heating that up and adding some shredded spinach and garlic and topping with curls of Parm reg!
    swoon!....which I think is old folk talk for "thud"...
    Linda c

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Gardengrl, great job of making stock and posting pics. I made chicken stock a day or two prior to yours, but had no feet. I used what I had, which was two leftover chicken carcases, several legs and one breast. My stock looked identical to yours. I sure wish I could taste yours to see if there's really a difference.

Question for anyone: Wouldn't diluting the stock when you make soup be defeating the purpose of making your own stock? Why not just used Swanson's if you are going to dilute?

• Related Discussions

chicken predators...can chickens be safe?

Q

Comments (67)
    My son has chickens, 16 I believe, he has lost a few to predators, they are out of their pen during the day, but the other day he lost the pretty rooster, golden polish, he had won in a pet contest and blue ribbon at the fair. The neighbors dogs escaped their pen and they were awakened by the indoor dog barking his head off, this was 6 a.m. dog inside the pen, it was covered in that chicken mesh stuff, now covered in the heavier wire. He has cochins, a blue silkie (rooster), domineckers, white crested polish, two kinds that came from rural King that I don't know what they are, but they keep to themselves, I would get chickens too, but we have alot of dogs going through as well as all the other varmits..hope you enjoy yours as much as we have theirs.
    ...See More

Chicken feet knit pattern

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking for a knit pattern to make Chicken Feet ,,for a halloween costume I'm making,,,or any other suggestions on how to make them. Tk you
    ...See More

Knitted chicken feet adult

Q

Comments (1)
    Have you tried a Google search?
    ...See More

Chickens. Lots of chickens.

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks, Teresa, I don't think I've ever seen a chicken pie recipe without vegetables, that looks really interesting and efficient, because Bud and Makayla wouldn't have to pick out the pieces of veggies, LOL. Ruthanna, the chicken pudding looks good, I'm going to try a couple of these as meals when Elery's family comes. I'll have 11 visitors for 5 days over the 4th of July weekend, so I'm going to have to find things that I can bake ahead or multiply to get enough servings. The following week is Fair Week too, so Bud and Makayla are spending the night tomorrow night, the fair entries will just have to be baked and frozen, then thawed for the fair. (shrug) Just as well, they're getting too complacent about all those ribbons every year, make 'em work at it this time! Ryse, where are you that you need to move to Tennessee for a better climate? I live in North/West Michigan and I really like to process chickens in the fall, far fewer flies and I don't rush so much to get the birds on ice like I do when it's warmer here. sleevendog, the traffic cones actually worked pretty well, but they weren't quite deep enough. Hey, I'm creative! I didn't have enough room to partially freeze all those halves before packaging, that was part of the problem, I think. On another food related note, the second calf of the year was born today, hooray. I left Mama to tend it and didn't bother them by getting close enough to determine whether it was a heifer or bull, I'll know soon enough. Oh, and Elery and I had chicken on the grill last night. No salting or pre-brining, because I wanted to see just how it was. Elery cooked it slowlyl on the cooler side of the grill and it was moist, juicy and delicious. I'm happy. Annie
    ...See More
  • deborah_ps
    16 years ago

Well, I think I've changed my mind...I might go ahead and try making some myself too:)
    The only times I have seen "yellow" skinned chicken was in the super marcado in Mexico. And they were canary yellow.
    I suspect I'll go to the Mexican market to find the feet, most of the "usual" stores carry less than adventuresome foodstuffs here.
    This has really been an awesome thread, very informative for sure!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Beverly, even diluted, this stock may be richer than Swanson's. I don't know. I think I will chill some Swanson's to see if it will gel. I'm guessing it won't. It's pretty thin stuff.

Gardengrl, as I'm sure you know, the success of certain dishes depends greatly on the quality of the chicken stock.

The first that comes to mind is Sopa de Aguacate (Avocado Soup). Just puree the pulp of dead ripe avocados with hot, seasoned broth using a blender. Return it to the stove and get it hot but not boiling. Garnish with crumbled tortilla chips. Use one avocado and two cups of broth for every two servings. This is wonderful when made with rich broth.

Another is congee. For each 2 cups of broth, add 1/4 cup of white rice (long or medium grain). Simmer for about 2 hours until the rice is well broken down, replacing stock with water if it boils away. Consistency should be kind of loose like pea soup. Season with salt, soy sauce or oyster sauce. Add your choice of garnishes such as shredded chicken, spinach, chopped scallion, cut up omelette, etc. Don't overdo the garnishes. Cook for 5 more minutes. Congee is comforting for breakfast or when you are not feeling well and need to replenish your strength.

And then there is vichysoisse. Your broth would be great for that.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Jimster, I've refrigerated partial boxes of that Swanson chicken stock. It doesn't gel at all, it stays "pourable".

Of course, the company may have let the chicken wade through the stock, I suppose....

Annie

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I can't believe this went for 60 Threads. I don't know if I'm allowed to dissagree.
    Last time I did that, I was sent a warning.
    What I wanted to say is, I'll use a whole Chicken to make Stock or soup.
    That way I'll have meat too. You can buy whole Chickens at a reasonable price.
    Then I have my Chicken Soup Base to spike it up.

I grew up when the Chicken Feet thing was popular but times have changed.
    If I'm not allowed to say this , then I won't.
    Lou

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Great tutorial Kathy. I think I will check with our Mexican Super Market for chicken feet.

Karen, I always ask for grouper cheeks at the fish market. They go fast so I don't get them often.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Then maybe we'll both get banned, Lou, because I have to say that stewing a chicken for a long time to make stock washes a lot of the goodness out of it. It's not very good meat, IMO.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I don't eat the meat on the chicken I have used to make stock....but I do use the liquid left from poaching chicken. I don't cook the chicken long enough for the liquid to be called "stock"...but it's still better than the stuff in a box or a can...or certainly dry in a jar.
    However....when I am poaching like 20 pounds of chicken breasts...and I do them 4 or 5 pounds at a time....and I keep using the same liquid....it does get a pretty good flavor!

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Gardengirl, you rock! Mom used to make stock like that. It's supposed to be full of collagen and stuff that will CURE arthritis, so they say. When I was growing up, we were told that jello is made from these. I've always believed Campbell's soup is made from chicken feet, highly diluted. I won't say EWWW because we still eat hamburger at our house. Has anyone driven by the stockyards? That's really disgusting. The smell will knock you off your feet while you're still inside your car with the windows rolled up.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Annie wrote:

Of course, the company may have let the chicken wade through the stock, I suppose....

ROFL!!! :D Would that make it chicken-foot stock??

Changeling, you missed out on the kimchee. I love the stuff, and make my own. I had it for the first time in my 20's, at a Korean restaurant. It's terrific as an accompaniment to grilled meats, and as a side dish for potstickers or Asian noodle dishes. However, it is stinky. Staying with some friends for a while, I opened a jar to have with my scrambled eggs in the early morning. I think the smell almost got me evicted! :D

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Jimster, I keep a box of Swanson's stock in my fridge most of the time. It's as thin as water. Tastes pretty good though, just not as good as homemade stock.

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Ooohhhhh the stock looks divine. I don't know if I coud make this but I think I changed my mind on the ewwwww factor.

Jim and Cathy, I'v never eaten a fish cheek, I'll have to ask the local seafood store.

Why do you have to remove the calluses if you throw the chicken feet away? Just wondering...

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I'll try this ONLY if Shaun will do the manicuring.

• proudmamato4
    16 years ago

Ugh, I'm having a real problem with the visuals so thoughtfully provided! And to think I was telling DH the other night I was thinking about trying this. I don't think I have the stomach to now. Thanks for the pictorial, though! So informative! And your stock looks absolutely gorgeous!

Nancy

• jimster
    16 years ago

Changeling, I can easily understand how a 12 year old kid who was unfamiliar with kimchee would be but off when suddenly confronted with it. It's probably an aquired taste but, like most acquired tastes, it can become addictive. My late brother used to buy quarts of it and eat it by the forkful right out of the jar. I'm very fond of kim chee, saurkraut, fermented pickles and the like. Some people aren't. You might want to give kim chee another chance if you like any of those things.

(This thread has covered the waterfront, hasn't it?)

• changeling
    16 years ago

Jimster, everyone has some sort of barrier/or not, in life/sex/food/whatever! As I have said before I am wide open to all Ethnic food experiences.
    However kimchee was my "Wall" I just can't get by the smell! If I was raised around it possibly I wouldn't be negative regarding it. However I wouldn't even consider a taste of this dish for any one or any reason, thats just me. You evidently have different tastes.
    I am certainly not saying that anyone should listen to what I have to say regarding this! It is sold in several supermarkets now (Jars) so give it a go and make up your own mind, you might love it! Personally I would rather chew the backside out of a skunk!
    Bona petite Jimster!

• jessyf
    16 years ago

My now 15YO son, when an infant, would inhale the spiciest korean kimchee at a korean restaurant we went to. He grew out of it and turned into a typical picky kid. The pendulum has swung back and he's into spicy Asian food.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

That's why Koreans store kimchee and other strong-smelling stuff outside. My girlfriend has an extra refrigerator in the garage for it. It is continually fermenting after it's made, so you need to eat it at the optimal time when it's "ready" - before it gets TOO ripe.

Also, when you buy a jar at the market, open it over the sink, in case of leakage upon release of pressure. Then clean the rim, place plastic wrap tightly over the rim and halfway down the jar and put a rubber-band around that. Then replace the lid tightly.

Kimchee is now being packaged in foil packs - that's not good. If you have leftovers you can't reseal the pack, so don't buy those.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Is non-smelly kimchee not authentic? I only bought kimchee once, for an ingredient in spring rolls. The recipe didn't call for much, and I ate a good portion of what remained straight from the container. It tasted "different", somewhere between pickled and hot, but I don't recall a bad smell at all.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

The commercial stuff you find in regular grocery stores isn't usually as smelly as home made. I think they cut down on the garlic, and don't use fish or fish sauce in it. Although, the stuff that almost got me evicted from my friend's house was store bought, and apparently smelly enough to be offensive.

I honestly can't smell the "bad" anymore, because I love it. The same thing happened to me using Curry leaves in Indian cooking. The first time I bought them, they smelled like a cross between B.O. and old socks, and I couldn't imagine cooking with them, but now all I smell is the wonderful flavor they lend the dishes I use them in. Funny.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

The distinctive smell comes from fermentation - I tell folks it's like sauerkraut only with lots of hot red chili pepper and garlic added. As it ferments, more liquid id produced and the flavors become stronger. When you buy it and it doesn't have much smell or flavor, it may not be ready to eat, or it may not contain a lot of spices. I mean you can still eat it, but it's not optimal yet - like some homemade pickles - you have to wait. Once it's past its "prime" it's popular to make a stew with it, or add it to soups and savory pancakes. Unfortunately, most kimchi served at restaurants is not flavorful, not ready to eat or just plain bad.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Rachel, Gina and everyone,

This discussion of kimchee could become an encyclopedia. There is so much more that needs discussion. I need more information. Let's have a kimchee thread. See you there.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

"The same thing happened to me using Curry leaves in Indian cooking"

Rachelellen - Being as curry is a blend of many spices, I'm wondering what you mean by curry leaves? Not that a cross between B.O. and socks sounds all that appealing, but I'm interested nonetheless.

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If anyone is interested, I posted a more exact description of the Chicken Feet Stock recipe on my blog.

Give it a try! You won't be disappointed.

Who's next?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog: Just the Right Size

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

James of course you are correct that curry is a blend of spices but there is also a herb called curry that smells and tastes a lot like curry....probably how it got it's name. I've grown it a few times, looks a bit like sage coloured rosemary!

Here is a link that might be useful: Curry plant

• lindac
    16 years ago

I have grown curry plant as an ornamental....but didn't notice any smell....and since i knew what it was called, I crushed some leaves and sniffed...yeah smelled like "something" but not bad or like curry.
    But it was pretty!
    Linda C

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I don't know why I looked in here Again. ??????????????????????????????
    And I thought 60 Threads were a lot. I guess there is something wrong with me.

Jim:
    When I was a cook in Korea and a Korean Civilian KP came in after eating Kimchee,
    He better be heading for the door.
    I never smelled anything so bad, That someone would eat.
    But that's only my humble opinion. I would compare it to a Garbage Can,
    That is full of rotten Vegetables and Meat, left outside in 95 degree temp.for a week.
    There are so many finicky Members ( about Carrots ,Raisens, Olives, Clams etc.)in this Forum,
    That this just amazes me.
    Like I said, guess there is something wrong with me.Hope I stay this way.
    Lou

• changeling
    16 years ago

Hawk307, well at least we do have something in common! I just can't figure out why you were so polite about your feelings on kimshii (spelling).
    My neighbor was in the Korean war and he is NOT very polite about his experiences with this particular dish! He referred to it as an odorous cloud that enveloped the camp and caused confusing and intense anger!!
    I adjusted some of his words.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Some things are in the love it or hate it category. Limburger, etc., etc., etc.,

It amazes me too that anyone is finicky about common foods like carrots or shrimp.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you, Lou. Well, not much anyway. Hehehehe.

Jim

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Well, this has been some thread! Holy Chicken! It took me 25 minutes to read it all. I have laughed out loud at the reactions.

I'm in the make it came (chicken feet), but haven't tried Kimchee and don't think I'm interested.

Gardengrl, thanks for the tutorial and the laughs! Wow!

Bubbe (who wouldn't go near an eyeball unless starving to death)

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I wouldn't have a problem using the feet if they come cleaned and with claws removed. I just cannot cut off the little tippy toes LOL!

The only ones I have seen here are usually pretty dirty and have to be peeled first before using. Maybe I do it wrong, but it does involve dips in boiling water, and it smells horrible and is just gross. I can't pluck chickens for the same reason - we used to dip in boiling water to loosen the feathers, and the smell of those feathers makes me gag. I wonder if I could do it with a clothes pin on my nose ROFL?

When my uncle had chickens and capons, when it was "harvest" time the first few times I went over and helped. He had gallon jugs with the bottoms cut off nailed upside down to the wall above buckets. He would dispatch the chicken and plunk it in the "funnel" to bleed. I have no idea how he did it, but there was no flipping and flopping around or anything. We would do the dipping and plucking and he would finish cleaning the birds (removing the innards etc.).

After the first few times, he found somebody that would come and take the chickens and process them for a small fee, and really, it was worth it to him.

Now. Where can I get feet THAT clean- but without the claws ROFL?

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Fenworth wrote:

Rachelellen - Being as curry is a blend of many spices, I'm wondering what you mean by curry leaves? Not that a cross between B.O. and socks sounds all that appealing, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Curry leaves (or I've also seen kari leaves) are the leaves of a shrub/tree that are quite pungent and used by many in India as a flavoring, particularly in dishes made with legumes.

There is no way to describe the flavor. As I said, my initial reaction to the scent (odor, actually) of the leaves was not conducive to admiration of the leaves...but when cooked into various dishes, the flavor result is well worth the handling of smelly leaves.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Thanks for the clarification on curry plant. I love the last line in Sharon's link: "However, trimming Curry Plant in the garden will leave you pleasantly reeking like an Indian restaurant the rest of the day." LOL!

I think I'm going to make chicken feet stock tomorrow.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Actually, that plant is not the plant of which I wrote. I have never seen a recipe calling for that plant. In Southern India especially, they use the leaves of the Murraya koenigii, the curry leaf tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murraya koenigii

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Gardengrl:
    Thanks but no thanks. Too late to go back to the 1940's.
    I'll stay with Chickens for making soup.
    Then I have my Jars of Chicken Soup Base, to spike it up, if needed.
    Good luck with your new venture.
    Lou

Changeling:
    Your neighbor might think along the same lines as me,having experienced,
    it first hand, like I did.

But I doubt if you and I have anything in common.
    First off, I wouldn't have said the things, you said to everyone.
    Second ,if I did ,I would not stay on the Forum, unless I gave an apology.
    Not to me but to the Women.
    I can't imagine why some of them, are answering your Posts.
    But maybe I'm wrong, for thinking this way.???
    LOU

• mrsc_2008
    16 years ago

Boy this brings back memories. Years ago I had to attend a meeting in the city. One of the girls was chinese and asked me if I would like to keep her company at lunch. Off we went - to Chinatown. She took me to a Dum Sim restaurant which was over a bunch of shops. We had to line up to get in and we were all given a piece of paper with a number on it (written in Chinese). When we were finally seated at a table I thought I was going to be sick. The smell was terrible. There were young girls going around with carts, banging into tables, yelling out what dishes they were serving! It was absolute bedlam. My friend ordered for me - I was the only non-Chinese person in the place - and the waiter arrived with a small nappe of rice with 4 chicken feet sticking out of it. I almost leapt out of the chair! No way was I going to let my lips touch that!! I ended up having a dish of boiled rice for lunch (yummy)and I didn't even eat much of that - I couldn't use chopsticks. It cost me all of 11 cents! Not only was I starving when I got back to the meeting, but my new suit smelled like rancid grease and people were asking me where I'd been. That's been my one and only experience with chicken feet.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I'm all for exuberant story-telling, but geez. Bedlam, banging into tables, rancid grease? There's a heck of a lot more to dim sum besides chicken feet. Sorry you didn't appreciate a new experience.

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Everyone,

What's all the fussing about? Geeze, this is a fun place to camp out, not a battle ground. I didn't come back after more than a year to read hostilities; I came back because this is a wonderful place to exchange food ideas, learn new things, take happy food risks, and be open-minded to new and different experiences. I don't want to spend my time reading pugnacious, combative, hostile, or quarrelsome posts. I am committed to participating in a thoughtful and peaceful way. Please let's return to civility, shall we?

Bubbe

• changeling
    16 years ago

hawk307, I think you are exactly right, we don't have a single thing in common!
    Possibly the cooks here are interested in answering my posts because they are interested in the subject matter, or possibly they don't think you are as interesting as you seem to think you are!

Feel free to contact the site manager "again" with your feelings.

As for apologizing, I never did anything that called for an apology in the first place, I was disgruntled with a couple of ladies but you want to make it a reflection on "ALL" the ladies of this forum by me, I'm sure they can read and make up there own minds!
    You seem intent on attacking me, and that didn't bother me from the start, but evidently you weren't/aren't satisfied, You just want to keep on striving to be whatever!

You probably will not understand this, but I feel everyone has a right in this country to say what is on there mind without being harassed by people who want only there own viewpoints to be considered.
    If this is not the case with the majority of the cooks here they are completely welcome to contact the System administrator and complain. They are very able to do this on there own without your instigating a "hate" program.
    Have a day!

• mrsc_2008
    16 years ago

Sorry Gina W I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just explaining that this was the first and only time I had been offered chicken feet. I should have mentioned that I had just emigrated to this country and had never heard of Dim Sum. I've had Dim Sum many times over the years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

BUMMER!!! I just went to the chicken foot supermarket and they no longer carry them! He kind of laughed when I asked and didn't offer to order them so now I guess I'm off on another search. To think, all those years I'd stare at those feet wondering what anyone would possibly do with them, and now that I want them.....

Oh wait, I just remembered there's a poultry farm pretty close. If they don't have them no one will!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

See what you started Kathy...a run on chicken feet.

• Lars
    16 years ago

In Mexico City, they sell chickens with the heads on, as well as the feet:
    {{gwi:1488162}}

Lars

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

I swear I see a couple of flies seasoning that chicken in the center background.

Dan

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Here in the main city market they are also sold with heads & feet still attached. Rabbits (right) also come complete with heads on.
    But they are displayed in glass cabinets in most places, and the large supermarkets usually sell them packaged without heads & feet but at the butcher counter you can buy them whole.

SharonCb

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Waste not, want not?

• changeling
    16 years ago

canarybird, I think that one chicken has an "Eye" for you, LOL.

It absolutely amazes me that everyone thinks the US is the center of the universe when it comes to just about everything. In this case a lot of people have been able to see and get a feeling for things in other countries and also in their own backyard so to speak.

Just because you were brought up "one way" doesn't make the rest of the world wrong/right, it is just the way things are!
    I believe "gardengrl" has presented her post/case/effort about as well as it could possibly be done and should be applauded by all.

Now lets see, do I want the pure chicken stock she made, or the store bought with the added government OK'd "flavorings" mentioned above, just you don't hate these hard decisions, LOL.

Change

PS. gardengrl, would you please pass me one of those homemade margaritas ?

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Changeling, actually the guy with the eye is a rabbit LOL!

SharonCb

• changeling
    16 years ago

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 14:56

Changeling, actually the guy with the eye is a rabbit LOL!

SharonCb

Embarrassed! I am trying to find a way to gracefully bow out, but , you are absolutely right! I have butchered 100's of each, but I just plain misread the picture!
    At first I thought this lady doesn't know what she is talking about!
    However it's obvious you have your stuff together. I'll try to be a little more attentive in my next identification of a naked specimen!