Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stick Cloves into onions

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 8:30

Why?

This is an instruction I've come across since my early days of cooking when I learned to cook from Irma Rombauer. Why not have onions and a few cloves in the soup? Why not stick the cloves into something else, such as a celery stick, or a potato, or some other ingredient? And why not just add a dash of ground cloves. I've done this when I was out of whole cloves. Is there a reaction between the cloves and onion that impart a certain flavor to the dish that wouldn't be there if you added the clove flavor another way?

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stick Cloves into onions

Because then you can retrieve the onion and the cloves and not risk getting a whole clove in your spoon.
The directions telling you to stick cloves into an onion are always....in my experience...referring to a fairly delicate creamy sauce as a bechamel.

o

I've mainly seen it in recipes for soups, at least, that's what I remember. It wouldn't surprise me that when I was first starting to cook I'd pass on recipes that used a bechamel sauce due to being intimidated. It wouldn't concern me now, but might have then.

Sally

o

Soup or Bechamel - I think Lindas theory is correct - it is for ease of removal when serving. No one wants to bite into a whole clove any more than they want to bite into a whole bay leaf.

I've also seen numerous recipes that hae you tie the dried cloves, allspice, etc into a cheesecloth bag to remove them all when the dish is finished.

Alexa

o

I've always stuck one or two cloves into an onion when making chicken stock. I always count how many whole peppercorns I use, too, so I can retrive all of them. I suppose tying them up in some cheesecloth would be a better option LOL,

seagrass

o

Easy retrieval is what I always figured. As for chicken stock, I run mine through a fine mesh strainer so no need to count or stick anything anywhere!

o

I always put whole allspice, peppercorns, bay leaves, and other chunky spices like cloves in a tea ball. Toss it into the soup or stew. When the dish is done, just fish the tea ball out. Really easy and I don't have to tie up any packages of cheesecloth. Plus, the tea ball gets used over & over again.

o

Yup, just for easy retrieval. A whole onion is less likely to fall apart than a stalk of celery or a potato. As said, though, a tea ball or cheese cloth or straining works as well.

o

In most instances a cheesecloth bag or tea ball would work just as well, but I have beans soaking for Boston Baked Beans. Sure enough, the recipe calls for studding an onion with cloves. I guess I COULD put in a cheesecloth bag, but I cook beans until they are thick and sticky and so I think the onion is a better option.

I agree, it's for ease in removing the cloves.

Annie

o

Okie dokie. I've now got a good supply of whole cloves, but I figure if I'm out, and have on had ground cloves, a dash into the dish I'm making would suffice.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here