Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix an overcooked pork tenderloin?

Posted by lori316 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 8:30

I threw some pork tenderloin in the crock pot yesterday. I had cut it up into 2 inch slices and cooked it on high...apparently too long. It's pretty tough.

Any suggestions on what to do to fix it?

I figured I'd chop some up for fried rice, but other than that....?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix an overcooked pork tenderloin?

Maybe put it in the food processor to chop it all up and put BBQ Sauce on it and make BBQ Pork Sandwiches. That's what I'd do. *smile*

o

Shaun, that was my original plan, but I didn't even know if I could pull that off, it's so overcooked. LOL

Maybe I just need extra, extra, extra sauce. :)

o

Another who says chop it up and put sauce with it.
One thing to remember is never cook a lean meat a long time....and that includes pork loin and white meat turkey or chicken....it just gets dry and stringy.
Linda C

o

You can't fix it.

Your only hope is to either do what the others have said or slice it as absolutely thin as you can across the grain and hope that the short fibers fall apart.

o

Choping it fine and adding sauce should work even with the most overcooked pork.

Another idea is to buzz the hell out of it in the food processor, mix with finely chopped green onions, shredded cabbage or bamboo shoots, minced garlic and ginger, add soy sauce and sesame oil, then use it in pot stickers or su mai.

o

Use it in a soup that calls for pork.

o

Maybe some egg rolls or my all time favorite, Lumpia. You can grind the pork down for the lumpia and then the veggies, and you gota great egg roll type food! And, don't forget Pancit! Lots of pork and shrimp! Yum!

I really love food from the Philippines! And, an over cooked pork tenderloin can be minced, ground, and chopped to be center stage in many recipes.

I also like an Indonesian flair to pork, so maybe make a soy saucey gingery sauce and serve it with rice! The sauce can be a quickie with chutney or marmalade.. soy sauce, grated or dry ginger, molasses, vinegar, garlic, molasses, dry mustard, and some water cooked down. I like using Molasses, vinegar, fresh ginger, soy sauce, and some orange marmalade for a fast fix. Simmer the thin slices of pork in the sauce for 10-15 mintues and then serve over rice. Lots of fresh ginger is a favorite of mine in this.. yum.

o

I'd offer a suggestion but it's Shabbat :)

o

Ooooh yes make pot stickers!! Good idea Chase!

o

The crock pot strikes again! I usually massacre chicken in mine! I can't add anything in the way of ideas, you have good ones above, just sympathy. For my crew, BBQ sandwiches would do the trick.

o

If your meat emerges from the oven so tough you practically need a chainsaw, "Cook it longer," advises David Ritter, culinary instructor at the Art Institute of New York City. "Eventually it'll get tender."

The quote comes from the site linked below.

It seems that either short cooking time or long cooking time results in tender meat, while in between times makes it tough. I have seen this statement other places. I haven't found a good explanation. If you can provide one I would appreciate it.

For pulled pork, I roast it until it is fairly falling apart. (Possibly a faulty comparison since that is a shoulder, not a loin.) Short or medium times won't work. For a leg of lamb, on the other hand, a medium or medium rare cooking leaves it moist and tender.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tenderness Tips

o

Long roasting works a lot better for meats that have lots of internal fat and/or connective tissue. A pork shoulder definitely qualifies as the latter. I normally do my shoulders for pulled pork for at least 12 hours on the smoker.

Technically at that point the meat is terribly overcooked, but the collagen in the connective tissue starts to break down and coats everything with gelatin. It's at that point where you can pull it apart with a fork and it seems to be nice and juicy.

I simply can't see, though, a very lean piece of meat like a tenderloin being cooked long enough for it to become tender while still remaining edible. There's virtually no connective tissue in a tenderloin.

Eventually it would dry out so much that it would be an arid wasteland.

o

Well for my husband's taste, meat can't be too falling apart but I guess not every likes that! The first thing that came to my mind was the pork sandwiches...I just made those with a pork roast the other day, I don't think the pork could ever be too cooked for those. You just pull the pork apart and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce and serve on a bun. If that doesn't sound good then dice it up and make a gravy and pour over rice.

o

All meat won't get tender if cooked longer. Very lean meats like white meat turkey and very lean pork loin will get dry and stringy. It doesn't get "falling apart tender" like a shoulder or rib cut does. So if you want to make something out of it you hace to cut the meat strands across the grain....then mix in the sauce or whatever.
Linda C

o

My suggestions is put it into chili that will cook all day..it will "thicken" the pot more than anything, as it comes apart. I'm with Mike on this..over cooked pork loin is over cooked.

o

It was too tough to even pull apart, otherwise that would have been lunch this afternoon. I'll grind it and use some for BBQ

POT STICKERS!!! I'm so excited. Forty years old and I've never made 'em.

Problem is I won't be able to do it until Monday, but that's okay because I need to pick up a few ingredients anyway.

Alton's recipe gets good reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alton Brown's Pot Stickers

o

ok...nevermind...just found the whole thread on potstickers...LOL

Sorry, terri, didn't realize what a good thing you had going there..shoulda checked here first for recipes

o

Cut it into strips and dry it on the rack in the oven. Tell your boys it is jerky. If you make bbq it probably won't hurt to simmer it in tomato juice. Never tried it with pork but everything else I boil in tomato juice falls apart.... tender enough to pick apart with a plastic fork. Spagetti sauce made with pork has a unique flavor. My Grandma was famous for what we called pignic (pig neck) spagetti.

You can always throw it in the backyard and make some little critter's day. Problem with that is little critter will be back with the whole little critter family.

: )
lyra

o

Lori, if you are truely intent on using the dried out pork for potstickers, I'd suggest adding an egg or two, to "hold" it together while working with it.

I still vote for putting it in chili. :o)

o

I would cube it and use it in soup or stew?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here