Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you do with your cereal liners?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:22

I just put an inner cereal bag/liner in the garbage this morning. I hate throwing them out, and I do have some saved for when I flatten chicken, etc. Other than that, I don't know what to do with them. They are so thick and sturdy, I'd like to re-purpose them, but for what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you do with your cereal liners?

The link below has 8 ways to reuse them, and if you do a search on the subject, you will find even more. You can also use the box for making homemade paper. I use "junk" mail to make homemade paper and make my gift cards, greeting cards, and an assortment of gift items using homemade paper.

Personally, I never buy boxed cereal because it's the biggest rip-off in the store. According to one source, there was approximately 17-cents worth of grain in a box of cereal and I can purchase 50-pounds of wheat for $20 and make my own cereal (hot and cold versions) - you do the math!

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: 8 Ways to Reuse Cereal Box Liners

o

Darn, that link is freezing up on me.

I use the liners like Jasdip for pounding chicken breasts.

Open them up & use them as super non-stick tray liners when I freeze individual portions that get bagged after they've frozen.

Resize the bags using my Foodsaver to weld new seams. You can then make air-tight bags for freezing items but the Foodsaver won't vacuum them. Even at that, I've found that they work good for medium/ short term storage in the freezer. Note that my freezer is the old school manual defrost so I'm not sure how well they would work in a frost freeze model.

o

I use the boxes for magazine holders. Just cut them in roughly the same shape as the ones you buy. Cooking magazines, loose-leaf/computer paper etc can be stored in them.

Oh, I forgot, I do that too ci_lantro. I freeze my berries, etc on them.

This post was edited by jasdip on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 9:24

o

My aunt uses them as an extra layer of protection when freezing things like banana bread - that link had a good general comment that you can use them for anything you use waxed paper for. I have a couple saved, but don't often think to use them - I will now - thanks for the thread!

o

I use cereal liners and especially the bags from frozen foods (veggies, chicken nuggets, etc) for food that is going in the garbage and not the compost. Like CiLantro, I use the FS to seal them; that way it doesn't stink up my garbage.

I am eager to look at the link GrainLady provide; I love these kinds of tips.

o

The link locks up my computer too.

I seldom buy cold cereal, other than Cheerios for Madi and sometimes Cooper gets some for snacks. I did buy the bag of Malt O Meal Honey/Nut O's. They were completely nasty, tasted like Pablum. Does anyone remember that?

Anyway, I have few to reuse, but like Cathy, I use them to contain stinky garbage like fish skin, shrimp shells, etc.

Annie

o

Sorry the link hasn't worked for several people. I've clicked on it three times without a hitch and these are the "magic" 8 from the link.

1. As a sandwich baggie. Slip your sandwich into the liner and wrap it up to take it with you.

2. Prevent your shoes from getting crushed when packing or storing them away. Bunch up the liner and stuff the shoe.

3. Packing material: Either use the liner bunched up as padding in a shipping box or make your own air pillow by blowing air into the liner using a straw and taping the liner closed.

4. Keep your fresh herbs fresher longer by storing them inside the liner before putting them in the fridge.

5. Keep your wet pool clothes from touching your dry clothes in your gym bag by slipping them into a liner first.

6. Snip off a small corner of the liner and add an icing tip (with or without a coupler) then add the icing and decorate.

7. A prep surface for foods, fresh fruit, you name it!

8. Snip off the bottom corner of a liner and you have a funnel for filling those little containers like salt shakers or soap dispensers without the mess.

-Grainlady

o

Carefully open the bag by pulling apart at the seams,
Flatten it out, and use to
Protect table top, work surface, etc,
When working on messy craft projects
Such as paper mache, painting ceramic items, etc.

Rusty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here