Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GW new look - questions/feedback

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 7:45

Obviously there's a new look to this forum today. Gone is the split pea soup, and I don't miss it! But I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues:

1) Text is center justified with IE, making it very awkward to read. This does not happen on my phone or on Firefox, but on IE on two computers.

2) Links don't change color after you've read a thread, regardless of computer/phone/browser.

Any other comments or issues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GW new look - questions/feedback

FOAS,

I was going to post something, too...but thought I'd wait to see what others say. I don't care for it.

I'm using:

firefox on an imac

I'm getting center justified, with WIDE empty space on either side on my 21 in screen. 4 1/2 inches of white space...on both sides...threads in the center. What's going to go there on the sides in the future? Ads?

Earlier this morning, when I clicked on a thread, it came up full screen and looked just like it used to look. Now, threads come up center justified with the 4 1/2 inch wide empty real estate on each side.

My "read" thread links don't change color, either.

Tougher to read for me. Bummer. Pretty layout, though.

o

I use Chrome and the text is flush left and the headings on the threads I've read change from black to red. There is a lot of white space to the right. The line lengths are relatively short. Shorter line lengths are easier to read than those that span the entire width of the screen so that's okay.

Is it just me? The photos seem HUGE except for the smaller ones, which also seem larger.

Eileen

This post was edited by barnmom on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:25

o

I don't care for the plain black print. I liked the blue from before. They do change to red, when opened though. I use Chrome.

Personally I don't like it being centered in the page, and I increased the size of the print to make it easier to read. I also think the headings of each post should be more pronounced.

o

:(

IE does center justify, but Firefox doesn't. I only use Firefox when I "have to", so that's a bummer. Center justification+extra wide+extra white=really hard to read.

o

Looks like the kinks are being worked out...

o

My previously clicked links are now red, but I'm still center justified. Even though I changed my font size, only my captions are big...my text seems to be the same. Plus, I don't know how to change it just for GW. All my other nonGW pages are fine and I don't want to blow up the font on those pages!

I suppose I'll get used to it.

o

My links turn red now, too. And since I'm center justified on only one of three browsers, I'm guessing this is unintentional and will be addressed as well.

I must say I appreciate the change from times new roman to arial as I'm typing my messages.

o

Using IE 8 here, text is centered with overly large margins, the right one-third of the page is blank below the ads.

I don't mind the crisp sans-serif black & white look. I kind of like it.

Still wonder why GW doesn't use commercial forum hosting software like VBulletin. Pretty much every web forum I am on does, those forums have all the bells and whistles you could want, allowed editing and image attachment a decade ago, and enable new-fangled stuff like bold and italics with one click.

o

My links may be red but look more purple on my IPad. I find it very hard to see what I've read and what I haven't with the purple mixed in with the black. Over all I think the new lay out is nice if the color was a little brighter on the read links.

o

The more I've read the harder all this white is on my eyes. Is anyone else having this problem?

o

I'd have to say I'm not loving the new look.

o

I'm not sure how I feel. I like that it looks more up to date, but I agree with Bryansda, the white is hard on my eyes. I'm using Firefox and everything is left justified. I checked IE and it is there, too. The font is somewhat better but I never had a problem with the old font. Everything sure is big and bright -- too much of both. I suppose before long we'll get used to it and forget how it used to be.

Is the Gardenweb logo new? Cute.

o

I like it. Much cleaner and brighter. I use Firefox or Chrome, so no justification. I did just open in in IE and it's not center justified. Perhaps it's a local setting.

You can change the background colors and font, if you don't like what you see onscreen.

o

I like it. Much cleaner and brighter. I use Firefox or Chrome, so no justification. I did just open in in IE and it's not center justified. Perhaps it's a local setting.

You can change the background colors and font, if you don't like what you see onscreen.

o

Yes, the monstrous amount of white is distracting. It looks nice. It reads poorly. If that makes sense.

Any ideas on how to get narrower side margins?

I had already changed the font a long time ago. I kept thinking, they changed the fonts? What did they look like? All of my stuff is in Garmond or Georgia, one of those.

o

Deb, I'm also using Firefox for Mac and the text is left justified.
The right margin is too far left for my taste, though; the text is a narrow column.
I don't like the picture-frame effect; there's decoration at the top around a frame with text, but as the thread grows all you see is white around white anyway.
This is poor design.

Ordinarily I would love more contrast and clear black text -- my greatest hate on the web is all the gray print -- but I can't get this text to a comfortable size and spacing. Have to play some more with preferences.
I use Firefox instead of Safari because text size tends to stay more consistent from site to site. This site in particular looks nice, or did, in Firefox. I may have to change the font with this new look, though.

Another thing: last week I began seeing the green underlined words of IntelliTXT. Why? I've had that blocked since it appeared in 2010. The different coloring of the words used to get blocked along with the ads. The ads are still blocked. AdBLockPlus is still set to block the script.
Annoyances are mounting up.

o

CC...I wonder why I'm center justified when other Firefox users are left? I prefer the center if this is how the page is going to load. Geez...I have a 21 inch screen. I'm expecting my 27 inch computer any day... What will all THAT white look like?!!!! I'm sure it'll all get worked out!

I agree with your comments! Ame with the double underlined words...which I haven't had for a long while! I've been playing with my preferences, but then I don't know how to set it for JUST GW. It affects all my pages. Do you know how to change just this site? When I change my font size, only headings change...not text within a thread.

My previously read threads are no longer read. They are purplish...but not distinguishable enough from the black (or is it dark green?)

o

Well, this is going to take some getting used to. Text is not center justified on my Windows 8 computer with IE, but I do have about 1/3 of the screen blank to the right of the text.

I also find the stark black on white to be a bit troublesome.

Annie

o

It's new, it is different, I'm going to give it a little time before deciding. Any time there is a change it takes a while to get use to.

~Ann

o

Hmm, my previously-opened threads have always been purple.
But the new ones are now black instead of blue. Funny how I never thought about how that improved the page, but it did.
I guess I ought to see what the text looks like in whatever font it has now. I have everything default to Skia (already crisp and sans-serif).
The spacing for center justification (which I don't see) may explain why the text looks awkward to me.

o

The text is left justified on my computer.
No matter which browser I use.
I normally use Firefox, but I checked out the others, too.
Including IE.
They're all the same.

It's very uncomfortable to read now, though.
Not sure if it is the difference in the font,
All the stark white,
Or a combination of things.

Definitely going to take some getting used to.
Hopefully this is just a step,
and more improvements are on the way.
Beneficial improvements, that is!

Rusty

o

The blue is back! Thread titles are now blue, not HTML blue as before, but a warm, robin's-egg blue. Not as good-looking as before, but far better than the black, for appearance and for giving definition to all that text.

o

Gosh, they're having fun with this back at headquarters! Improving but still too much blank space: I'm afraid they're going to fill the sides with advertising.

o

I am not a big fan of the Arial font. I find it more difficult to read than TNR.

Other than that and the font being larger, my view looks almost as it did before but with different graphics.

Linda

o

"I am not a big fan of the Arial font. I find it more difficult to read than TNR."

EXACTLY!

Rusty

This post was edited by therustyone on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 14:08

o

I didn't read all the comments, but I'm in exactly the same boat as Momto4kids,.

o

WinXP, Firefox looks fine to me. It is left justified. Yes it doesn't go much past the center of the screen but that's far better than the occasional post that ran off the right side. The white space may seem odd but the line length is what one might expect in a book. I think it is perfect.

o

It will be interesting to see if Coleen is right with the right margin being primed for advertisements.

I'm easy so I'll adjust, not that I could do anything else.

o

Rusty, I had to smile when I read your comments.

Your posts are always "left" and with this new format your style of posting almost looks like all the other posts.

~Ann

o

Ha! I was seeing the site's new font choice! I just thought it was messed-up Skia (my default).

o

I hate it. Is that succinct enough?

o

I am using Chrome and everything is center justified for me as well. On each side of the post are large gaps of nothing. I am finding this format very hard to read as it seems really condensed into one area.

o

I have a big blank area to the right but I assume it's because I use an ad blocker.

E

o

All this white is driving me nuts. I see two vertical blue lines on each side of the threads and big white 1.5 inch margins outside the blue lines. The room literally lights up when I open this site, and not in a good way.

CC, you're funny.

o

Wow. Not sure how much reading I'll be able to do with all this stark white. And, the light blue is very glaring. Ah well.............Right now it seems as though it might be a migraine trigger. Time will tell.

o

It would be nice if they could just extend the green down the outside margins. Even if they fade it out as it comes down the page. I agree too much white.

o

I don't mind the font choice, but the stark white is very hard on the eyes. I would request it e changed to something not so.....white. :)

o

I have to admit that reading this new format is giving me a headache. Don't know why, except agree with the comments that the pages are so stark. Good reason to spend less time on the Gardenweb.

o

To get rid of some of the white, make the page narrower on the right. Obviously more helpful for those of use who see left-justified text.
Oh - an unexpected plus! I just did that and it erased the stupid white frame on the left too.

o

I guess I should clarify the center justification thing....in the picture I posted above, the GW page loads in the center of my screen with 4 1/2 inches of white space on either side of the vertical lines. Between the vertical lines, everything is left justified as others are describing, big white space to the right.

So, out of my roughly 17 inches of space across the width of my screen, the new format of TEXT only occupies 6 inches of space. I'm getting 11 inches of BRIGHT WHITE! In the earlier version, the text took up the entire width of my screen.

I agree with what AnnT is saying, that at least if they tone down the white that falls outside the vertical lines, that'll help. I shudder to think how bright this is going to be when I get my larger screen! Yikes...time to pull out the Raybans!

This post was edited by momto4kids on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:41

o

Also........the print is left justified on my laptop (Chrome) and in the center of the page on my PC (Chrome). I don't know why it would be different on each with using Chrome on both machines....I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will know.

o

Pfmastin, is one monitor wide screen and the other square?

o

too bright, like others have said too much white...

o

too bright, like others have said too much white...

o

WAY too much white! And I'm center justified also with all the white along the right side.

o

The centered text became left justified mid-way through the day. I don't care for the Arial font but I am sure I will get used to it.

The background was white before. There is more white now that the text doesn't stretch all the way across the screen.

However, changes have been coming to this forum over the last several months. I think they are ALL good!

Out with the old and in with the new!

Teresa

o

Deb, resize the page before it blinds you!

Another thing people can do: set the brightness control to a dimmer setting.

o

It is a clean, spare look and seems easier to read on a small screen, like my iPhone.

o

We'll see!
Di

o

As long as the font isn't Papyrus, I'm happy

o

How do you do that, Jessica? I want to have some fun too.

o

I can't change my page width because the source code dictates the length of the view..

It appears the code was written for this page to be optimized on iPad/tablet screens. Gotta say, it does look terrific on my iPad...except I don't know if I can block those ads like I can on my desktop!

Let's face it, I think a lot of of websites are going to start catering to and start optimizing for an iPad/tablet screen.

This post was edited by momto4kids on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 21:57

o

Hey...I like Papyrus, but I sure wouldn't want to read a pageful of it!

I use Chrome and on my little laptop there's an inch+ of whitespace on either side and the posts are justified. I assume the large amount of white on the right is my AdBlock at work. It looks like it was designed for a small screen, that's for sure.

I wouldn't mind any of it, but the stark white background is hard on the eyes. If the text portion could be the nice light (not-pea) green or blue of the new background, or an off-white, it would be much better.

o

Meh, I like the old and not really into the new. Although, I can get used to just about anything on the CF. So, I won't be going anywhere because of white space or center/left justifcation.

Although the white space takes a beating on the dry eye. ;-)

o

Karen/Cloudy: Papyrus is the butt of a family joke - every time we see it, we scream 'aaaahhh! Papyrus'. Mostly because it is cheesy and over used, especially at vegan restaurants and the movie Avatar :-) j/k.

I googled 'html font papyrus' and got a page that showed me how to do it - bracket font face="Papyrus" bracket.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky google search (somehow we are stuck on UK)

o

I was taken aback when I first checked in. After almost 15 yrs. on this old forum, this is going to take some getting used to. But I rather like its cleaner look.

CC try this, or any font with The Following Code...

<font face=papyrus<font size=4>type your message here</font>

Sol

o

Ahhh, now a nice page looking border on each side has been added. That's a nice touch.

o

Now I'm in Chrome and the papyrus font doesn't show up.

o

I can go into the Firefox preferences, under the Content tab, go to the 5th "button" down on the right and change the color to a background color I personally find more soothing (and change font style and size, too, in the previous window), and UNCHECK the box that says "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above." The problem is that it applies my choices to ALL my open browser pages...not just GW. If I could just affect GW and move on like normal, that would be great. I could also minimize my window until the white outside the vertical lines disappears and stare at my Lilly wallpaper. Or I could open up two windows side-by-side and multitask through GW!! Think of the possibilities, GW...double the ad play!!!!! No, not on my screen(s), my adblocker still works...for now.

It's like certain HD TV shows that don't automatically rescale and fit the screen. You get those black bars outside the picture. I rather like the crisp, clean look, just PLEASE continue the top banner's grass green (or some other color) all the way down to the brown bottom banner to tone down that white! Thanks!

o

Deb, I'm in Firefox on an iMac, like you. I can narrow the window to just over half the width of the screen before it starts to cut off any text. I wonder what the difference is.

I'm finding the blue very hard to read. It's too light.

Sol and Jessica, thank you for the links. I'll play with them later.

This post was edited by cloudy_christine on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 9:07

o

I'm in the camp that doesn't like the white. The blue against the white is hard to read. Green is ergonomically easier on the eyes (no joke! I use green filters on my microscope at work sometimes because its easier on the eyes. Green is in the middle of the visible spectrum.)

But maybe the blue is easier for people to see that are color blind?

o

I sent a comment about the white background through the post at the top of the page (An exciting update from GardenWeb!) Got a nice reply from Tamara that they were definitely working on it and then I noticed this post:

"Update: 2.12.2013

Thank you for all of your helpful and constructive feedback. We are currently working on the following updates/issues:

- Softening the page display on the message forum pages. This includes color and font weight changes.

- Photos and text overlapping into the advertisement area.

- Mac/Safari layout issues."

I also commented on the 60's looking cook logo and she said that that other forums have had contests for a new logo and the forum members voted. Hmmmm.....

o

I love that Tamara and GW is listening to our concerns.

The changes have already been made. The green extends down the page and the white has been softened.

Thanks Tamara. I like the new look.

~Ann

o

Well, a few days into the new changes and I will say I am fine with the new, updated logos.

But I really HATE the new font and font colors. Hard to read, too much white....however I do not see the vertical lines and I do not see any green exending down the page.

Very tough on the eyes.

Linda

o

No problem here with the logo.
I rather like it.

But like Linda, I HATE the font and font colors!
The 'old' combination was much better, I think.
Certainly much less tiring to read.

However, I DO see the vertical lines,
For whatever that's worth.
They do add a bit of definition to everything, I guess.

The color of all the blank space down each side of the screen
Is kind of a pale beige, off white non-color.
A little better than the stark white was,
But not particularly attractive or pleasing.

To me, the over all look seems to be a little cold
and stand-offish.
Something warm and friendly
Would be so much more inviting.

Rusty

o

The changes that have been made are in the right direction for me! :) Green along the outside of the page area. Another vertical line added to better define the text space. The white page is still a bit bright. Won't be on too long until that tones down a bit. And I think I agree with others that the blue thread names seems a stark contrast and make my eyes too jumpy. Getting there!

No Papyrus!

Here's what I see now (as opposed to the look upthread):

o

Hmm, it's always been black text on a white background for me, except in the conversations or exchange forums. I've been away for a few days without a computer, so I'm just seeing this new look for the first time. We just got a new computer with a larger screen, and I find I have to enlarge almost every site I go to because it's just too small of print for me to read (alas, the aging thing). Now, the printed part is even smaller. That I don't like. Why the wide blank margins?

By the way, one of the first things I did with this new computer was to go to that intelitext, or whatever it's called, and opt out of the underline test thing. It didn't work. I'm still getting them. So, as someone else pointed out, I guess we can't opt out of that any more, either.

Sally

o

not loving the new format. our firewall is killing all the formatting (unlike the old look, where all the formatting comes thru just fine)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here