Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I regrigerate whole cream powered milk?

Posted by WinterCat (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 4:48

Hello, I've been lurking here for a couple of months and enjoying myself.

I just bought 2.5 kg whole cream powdered milk (28% fat in the powder). Now it's winter so the house is cold enough but in 2 months the house will become a furnace. I've had paprika and cumin powder turn rancid because of the heat and humidity.

Can I refrigerate the powdered milk?

Or even better: can i divide it into packs and freeze it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Apologies for disgraceful typoes in headline

Might be an overdoze of that milk.

o
RE: Can I regrigerate whole cream powered milk?

Food storage suggestions:

-The enemies are heat, light, oxygen, and moisture. You need to prevent all of these as much as possible, especially in a high-fat dry milk product.

-If you are going to use this product fairly quickly (within 6-months), refrigeration will be fine. Just make sure you keep it in an air-tight container. Milk powder has a way of absorbing odors.

-Double that storage time (12-months) by freezing it. Freezing doesn't prevent the fat from going rancid, it merely slows it down.

Out of curiosity, is this NIDO powdered milk?

In my world, 2.5 kg of powdered milk isn't a lot. I regularly store 3-years worth of non-fat dry milk and whey-based milk substitute, but a large portion is in hermetically-sealed #10 cans (oxygen-free) and stored in a cool basement. I haven't lugged home a gallon of milk from the grocery store since 1981.

-Grainlady

o

Grainlady, many thanks for your good advice.

You got it right, it is NIDO.

A cool basement sounds fabulous. Wish I had one :)

o

Welcome WinterCat! I am glad you came out of lurkdom. Please do participate more often! Tell us a little about yourself.

Teresa in Minnesota

o

Hi WinterCat: I know you from the Antique Roses forum. I love your sense of humor. For good laughs, check out the previous thread "What's the worse food you made or ate?" ... You are from Israel, right? I would love to hear what you think on the on worst food.

BTW, I adore the "Israel hotdog" or the fried chickpea in pita bread. I had it once at a restaurant, it was yummy!

o

Teresa and Strawberryhill - thanks for the lovely welcome!

Yes, I am from Israel, where falafel is the most popular street food. So popular it is that other foods keep finding their way into the pita, including some unlikely ones such as the Wiener schnitzel (though admittedly in its cheap form made from chicken breast).

I'm attaching a link to The Hummus Blog - a delightful and amusing site with recipes for both falafel and hummus (two great ways to consume chickpeas).

I certainly remember the hilarious Worst Dish thread. My own worst dish was the spinach patties I made when I was 14. The spinach leaves were so fresh, so green, so clean, so NATURAL, that it didn't even occur to me they should be swished in a bowl of water and rinsed. Throughout the magical process of cooking, my little sister hung round and watched me with the utmost admiration, so I rewarded her with the very first patty to come out of the frying pan. She took a bite and spat it out, complaining it was full of sand. I tried a patty myself and realized she was right, upon which I stared very hard into her eyes(she's one of the most suggestible people I know) and told her chickens routinely swallow tiny little stones to improve their digestion, so a few grains of sand couldn't do her any harm and might even do her good. Then I offered her a fresh patty and she took another bite, spat it out, turned round and fled the kitchen (though she did slink back for bread and marge as I was scraping the mess into the bin).

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hummus Blog

o
New Topic: what's convinced that didn't work?

That was funny, WinterCat! I agree with your sister that gritty stuff are bad. I HATE eggshell in my omelet. One U.S. army chef actually crumbled some eggshells into the mix to convince soldiers that omeletes are made out of real eggs, rather than powdered eggs - so the result is 99% powdered egg, and 1% real egg with shells.

I tried to convince my 10-years old to eat beans. I told her beans don't pee and poop, but cows, pigs, and chickens do. So beans are clean and superior food. That didn't work, she still hates beans. Our detour from this topic is: What was preached or convinced stuff that didn't work? Thanks in advance.

o

Strawberryhill, if I understand you correctly you mean when one follows the recipe instructions but the outcome is a flop? (please set me right if that's not what you mean).

The answer is No. I started cooking way before there was such a thing as the Internet and over time I narrowed my cookbook library to a handful of the most reliable failproof ones (Claudia Roden for instance). Perhaps I've just been lucky or perhaps just suspicious. When I research the Internet for some dish I cross-check several recipes and read the comments of people who actually tried them. Then I pick what seems to be the best, or I produce for my own use some synthesis of two or more of the recipes I checked. It takes some time and effort but it's worth it.

o

I am not sure I want to welcome you to the Cooking Forum Wintercat!

After looking at your title, I wasted some time researching "regrigerate" to make sure I know what cooking terminology that was. I was not successful.

Then it occurred to me that you might have misspelled "regurgitate". I really had no interest in the topic "Can I regurgitate whole cream powered milk?"

Finally, my curiosity got to me today and opened your thread. Ha!

Since I am a nice guy, and nice to have members from Israel, welcome to the Cooking Forum anyway! :-)

dcarch

o

dcarch, thanks! Miaou! You ARE a nice guy :)

Sorry again about the typo. It does bring to mind "regurgitate". No chance I'm going to regurgitate NIDO. I refrigerated it in airtight containers like Grainlady suggested, and I'm very pleased with it. I add a very heaped heaped teaspoon to my coffee & tea and it's wonderful. It doesn't dilute the coffee/tea like liquid milk does, and it brings down the temperature of the drink only very slightly (also unlike liquid milk from the fridge) which is just what I like. If that's not enough, it's also cheaper than whole cream liquid milk. Hurray!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here