Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cincinnati Sponge Cake and Sour-milk cake

Posted by pkguy (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 4:09

Hey all it's me.. LOL I was reading through some of our towns 1879 newspaper and found these two recipes.Which made me think of you all. I'll copy just as printed, there are no mixing, no baking instructions, just ingredients as listed.
Has anyone ever heard of these by the way.

Cincinnati Sponge Cake
Two cups of sugar, three of flour, five eggs, six tablespoons of boiling water, three tablespoons of baking powder.

That's it..

Next is Sour-milk Cake

One cup of sour milk, one cup of sugar, one half cup of butter, two cups flour, one egg, one level teaspoonful of soda, one half cup of chopped raisins. Spice to suit the taste

Now get bakin!!!!

I'll post something to the discussion section soon telling you all the latest, which isn't that interesting LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cincinnati Sponge Cake and Sour-milk cake

Hey Peter, what a nice surprise. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if we would be hearing from you one day soon.

Not to sure about those cake recipes, but I'm almost tempted to try the first recipe.

Look forward to hearing what you have been up to the last couple of years.

Welcome back!!!
~Ann

o

Yay!! Peter, I'm so glad to hear from you.

I'm actually tempted to try the second, Grandma used to make a sour milk cake with nutmeg and allspice that sounds a lot like that recipe. She did not frost it, said it was a "snack cake" We carried slices of it to school as a lunch box treat, the small 3 room school I attended through 8th grade had no kitchen or cafeteria, everyone carried their lunch. Except on WEdnesdays, when the mothers took turn making hot dogs and sloppy joes, which they sold for 25 cents each, with a homemade cookie on the side. We LOVED "hot dog day". (grin)

Now I think I'd rather have that sour milk cake.

Annie

Annie

o

Hey Peter! Where ya' been?

o

OK, had some sour milk I wanted to use up so I made the sour milk cake. Changes I made (you knew there would be some) I also had some blueberries I wanted to use up so I added these instead of raisins. To go with the blueberries I used 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, which I have found goes surprisingly if oddly well with blueberries.
The cake took an hour and twenty minutes to bake. After an hour I covered it lightly with foil as I was concerned it might get too dark.
We had some for dessert . It is quite moist and tasty, the colour is a sort of tan colour all the way through. I'll definitely make it again, maybe next time with craisins (can't resist tweaking :-) ).
Thanks, Peter!

o

I'm so glad you gave the feedback on the sour milk cake! Since my kids are grown, I often have some milk go sour. I hate waste, but so much cheaper to buy a gallon. I'll be sure to try this next time.

o

These recipes remind me of many of those in my Grandmother's little, black, handwritten recipe book. I'm slowly copying all to a computer program, and trying a few. The sour cream cake sounds familiar, and one I just might try.

o

I just noticed that the Cincinnati sponge recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of baking powder, which seems like an awful lot to me. Back in 1879, they didn't have double-acting BP, did they? Even still, 1.5 Tbsp of modern BP still seems like a lot for this size of cake.

Otherwise, there is something rather appealing in the brevity of these recipes, IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here