SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wintercat_gw

Oat farls - good and bad news

wintercat_gw
11 years ago

The good news is I made the oat farls according to the recipe in the Scone Blowout thread (Grainlady - many thanks for posting the link). They came out great. The next day they weren't crumbly anymore and I cut each one of them into 4 slices for toasted cheese sandwiches. Next time I'll make 8 farls instead of 4 to get twice as much crust. It's so delicious.

The bad news is yesterday I tried to tweak the recipe and make farls from buckwheat berries, but the liquid ratio that works for the oats doesn't seem to work for the berries, which are toasted and far more dry. I should have realized that before hand but for some reason It hadn't occur to me.

For buckwheat poridge I always soak the berries overnight in plenty of water (they open up and become extremely soft). Then I rinse them & cook them in milk. For the oat farls I didn't soak the berries in water first - just rinsed them in a colander and mixed them in a bowl with the amount of buttermilk mentioned in the farl recipe & left the whole thing in the fridge to soak till I come back from work in the evening. Result: the berries drank up al the buttermilk, but remained pretty hard and unfarlable. I had to drown my grief in a large cup of NIDO.

Should the berries be soaked in water overnight and only them mixed with buttermilk? And what should be the buttermilk ratio to the berries in this case? Or should I just increase the ratio of buttermilk to berries? And if so, by how much?

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Comments (10)