SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaotay

Beans, beans... The musical fruit...

ritaotay
16 years ago

Sorry, couldn't resist... But I do have a question about beans... How do you cook them so they stay in one piece... I've bought canned pork and beans ( not any more ), canned chili beans, bottled pinto beans and canned baked beans and all of them contain whole beans... When I cook beans either they turn to mush or most of them split open... If I stop cooking them while they're still whole they're too hard to eat... lol

I have to learn how to cook them the right way... Hubby loves his beans and I can no longer buy canned ( I won't pay twice as much for 'no added salt' when the dry beans are so cheap )... I have better ways to waste my money... lol

I don't really need recipes, I've made chili and baked beans from scratch and they tasted great, mushy but great... Well, when the texture isn't right the taste isn't as good... But anyway... I need to know how to cook them the right way.

Oh, another question, with baked beans do you add all the other ingredients to the dry ( soaked over night ) beans then pop them in the oven or precook the beans on the stove then add the other stuff and bake?

Rita

Comments (24)