SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

How Instant Is A Thermapen?

John Liu
12 years ago

I was looking for a tap at McMaster-Carr. On a whim, I bought one of their thermometers with a folding probe. It looks a lot like a Thermapen, but was a lot cheaper and a bit uglier.

So, it appears to work fine, but I don't get the final temperature reading "instantly". Its more like I instantly get a reading that is 5 to 10F below the actual temperature, then in 5 to 10 seconds I get the actual temperature.

Example: suppose the meat is 125.0F. As soon as I insert the probe, the display will show 119.2F, then 121.6F, 123.5F, 124.2F, 124.6F, 124.8F, 124.9F, 125.0F - that's an example anyway - and it will take about 10 seconds to stabilize at 125.0F.

Is this about how a Thermapen works? Or are they genuinely "instant" thermometers (let's say that giving an accurate reading in 1 second is instant).

Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm sometimes very impatient. Anyway when you've got your hand stuck in a 450F oven trying to temp the thigh that is all the way at the back of the oven, there is a practical difference between 1 second and 10 seconds.

Comments (10)