SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

My Low Sugar Grapefruit Pie Recipe.

denninmi
16 years ago

Saw a recipe in the paper a few years ago about a fresh grapefruit pie. I always wanted to make it. Because of health concerns, I don't use sugar anymore, so modified it to a sugar-free version, and it came out great. I'll put the original, full-sugar version of ingredients in parenthesis, so those who want it can do it that way. I understand that this type of pie is a Texas tradition.

Fresh Grapefruit Pie

1 single crust pie shell, blind-baked and cooled.

4 large to very large grapefruits, preferably ruby red, peeled, segmented, with all membranes removed.

1 3/4 cups Ocean Spray Light Ruby Red Grapefruit Drink

(or, 1 3/4 cups Ocean Spray Ruby Red, or 1 3/4 cups fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, or some combination of these to equal 1 3/4 cups)

1 small package Sugar Free Strawberry Jello

(or, 1 package regular Strawberry Jello)

up to 1 cup Splenda (or sugar) -- depends on how sweet you like things. I personally added half a cup, which was plenty. Would probably take more if you used straight grapefruit juice instead of the Ocean Spray.

2 T cornstarch

1/2 t salt

2 T Lemon Juice

Sugar Free Cool-Whip to top the pie

(or, regular Cool-Whip, or sweetened Whipped Cream)

First off, bake you pie shell and let cool -- I used a regular pastry crust, but would also be good with a graham cracker crust.

Peel grapefruits, seperate into segments, and remove all membranes and seeds, trying to keep segments as intact as possible. Save any juice, too, if you get any, and use it to replace part of the grapefruit juice beverage if you like.

In a large microwave-able bowl, or in a stovetop pan, combine the grapefruit juice drink and/or any grapefruit juice, the Splenda or sugar, the salt, the lemon juice, and the cornstarch. Bring to the boil, stirring often or even constantly, until the cornstarch has cooked and the mixture is thickened. Quickly add the jello, and stir to disolve. Now, put this in the fridge until partially set, usually about 30 to 45 minutes.

Assemble the pie by arranging a layer of grapefruit segments on the bottom of the crust, covering with about half of the juice/jello mixture, then another layer of segments and the rest of the juice/jello mixture. When assembling, try to save the most perfect, whole segments for the top, and arrange them artistically in a nice, radiating-out-from-the-center pattern for best appearance (although it tastes just as good if you slop everything together!). When assembled, put into the refrigerator for at least 3 or 4 hours, until well-set and chilled through. Serve with cool-whip or whipped cream on top. Yummy!

Comments (2)