Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 23:34

As you might remember, Beachlily has very generously shared her Meyer lemons with me. The Monkey Princess has used her share making lemonade, but graciously allowed me to have one cup of the lemon juice for a new recipe, a Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake.

The recipe is long and involved, but not really difficult, although you need a double boiler, a springform pan and a cake pan, along with the usualy equipment. I dirtied lots of dishes, and this was the end result:

IMG_1065

IMG_1067

Yes, that's a bite taken out of that piece. So, arrest me, I just couldn't help myself, LOL.

The end result is delicious. The genoise was light and fluffy, the ginger syrup was just the right amount of spicy and the mousse was tangy and not too sweet. Fresh ginger, fresh Meyer lemons, real whipped cream. Somehow it tasted lighter than it actually was, LOL.

I'll include the link for the recipe, it's a blog called "Sweet Dreams". I think someone posted it here, so whoever that was, thank you. And an extra thank you to beachlily, who provided me with the fresh lemons to make this amazing dessert!

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

Oh MY, That looks wonderful. The mousse looks so light and creamy. I like the idea of fresh ginger with the lemon. Great flavour combination.

Ann

o

I, too, like the idea of combining fresh ginger with the lemon. And since I have THIRTY NINE cups of lemon juice in the freezer, I need to make this! Thanks Annie!

o

That looks (and sounds) wonderful!

Alexa

o

Annie, that mousse cake looks so good! Another great recipe from you.

Silvia

o

Please excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin -- would love to have a slice right now for breakfast!!

o

Um yea! That is one fantastic looking cake. I'll be right over. I WISH!

o

Oh, my. Oooh, ahhhh, Words fail me, that looks and sounds so good.

Sally

o

Yes, please!

o

Annie, I could eat that.

But I would've started on the opposite side, where the mousse starts and the cake follows. Rapture.

Sol

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 16:30

And you did this with ONE ARM??

That looks amazing. Enjoy.

I hear Meyer lemon juice has bone healing properties!!

It's also good for scurvy.

This post was edited by momj47 on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 16:32

o

Amazing cake!

I am for sure going to buy a Meyer Lemon tree to grow my own.

dcarch

o

I love lemons of all types but I really like the Meyer lemons the best, even if I don't think I'm in danger of scurvy, LOL.

See, I TOLD you it wasn't that hard, I did it one handed! No, actually, Elery helped.

dcarch, let me know if you actually grow a Meyer lemon tree. I keep trying to figure out what I'd have to do to make one grow in Michigan but so far it's involved greenhouses or separate sunrooms!

Sol, the ginger made a nice contrast to the lemon, or I'd have just eaten the mousse out of the bowl! I'm kind of wondering now how that same recipe would be with orange. Or lime.....

Annie

Annie

o

That looks luscious. I will have to ask my friend for Meyer lemons.

Eileen

o

If you want to grow Meyers in a container, check out meyermike's posts on the Citrus forum. He is the most successful container gardener for Meyers by far, and very generous and helpful with his advice.

I thank Annie for posting the link to the dessert blog. I have several friends who will enjoy reading it.

This is one of our best years for Meyers. I have three of them in the ground, and will probably get 50-80 lbs. from each tree just from the winter harvest. They're mature trees now, so I usually have at least a dozen or more Meyers all year long. My friends and family get a lot of lemons to use up!

o

Omg Annie, that looks so good. One armed, eh? I shouldn't have showed it to Christy. Lemon is her fave and she just bought me a bag of Meyer lemons. LOL. And here I've been moan jobbing about my measly carpal tunnel. I'm kind of thinking of just making the mousse though...hmmm... I could probably deal with that.

o

"----dcarch, let me know if you actually grow a Meyer lemon tree. I keep trying to figure out what I'd have to do to make one grow in Michigan but so far it's involved greenhouses or separate sunrooms! ---"

You may consider growing Yuzu orange. It can survive very cold weather. Another great citrus tree for cooking. Lars mentioned Four Winds, mine just arrived.

A japanese store here sells fresh Yuzu oranges, $2.75 each, golf ball size!

dcarch

o

Annie ,that looks delicious! I've been craving lemon lately and had to "settle" for lemon curd bars from the lemon curd I made last week.

Looks like I'll be buying another bag of Meyer's! Definitely going to try that cake!

I have been thinking of trying a potted lemon tree, too. Thanks for the direction to the citrus forum, jkom! And I am going to research that Yuzu orange too, thanks DC!

Linda

o

I'm guessing that all this means that it's lemon, or at least Meyer Lemon season right now?

I want to grow a meyer lemon, too. I'll just have to wait till we move to Tahlequah and have a greenhouse. I don't have room in my currant house for any more plants to bring inside for the winter.

Jkom, thanks for the reference to the citrus forum. I keep forgetting about going to other forums. I lurk at one or two other forums, but there are so many forums to visit.

Sally

o

Yum! Annie thank you for the recipe. DH loves lemon cake in fact our wedding cake was lemon. I'll be making this for him for Valentines Day.

o

Another here that will be making this cake very soon. Looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe and the few extra pounds I'll be gaining. ;-)

o

Looking at the picture and reading the description, I immediately thought, "I've gotta make this!"

Looking at the recipe I immediately thought, "Yeah right, I'll never do all this!"

Oh well, I'll just have to imagine how great it was!

o

FOAS, the cake was a little "fussy" but soooo worth it. It's actually one cake layer, one simple syrup with some sliced ginger added, and then the mousse. I broke it down and made the cake, while it was cooling I made the syrup which took only a few minutes. After everything was cool and all my equipment assembled, then I made the mousse, which was also astonishing easy with the help of the Kitchen Aid.

Remember, I did it with one arm in a sling, it really IS easy. The only problem I had was that Elery had to separate the eggs....

RR, I don't even want to THINK about the calories.

Anyone who is hesitating because of the length of the recipe, don't let that stop you. The cake could even be made the day before, the mousse the next morning and the whole shebang would be ready to eat by afternoon!

Annie

Annie

o

FOAS, the cake was a little "fussy" but soooo worth it. It's actually one cake layer, one simple syrup with some sliced ginger added, and then the mousse. I broke it down and made the cake, while it was cooling I made the syrup which took only a few minutes. After everything was cool and all my equipment assembled, then I made the mousse, which was also astonishing easy with the help of the Kitchen Aid.

Remember, I did it with one arm in a sling, it really IS easy. The only problem I had was that Elery had to separate the eggs....

RR, I don't even want to THINK about the calories.

Anyone who is hesitating because of the length of the recipe, don't let that stop you. The cake could even be made the day before, the mousse the next morning and the whole shebang would be ready to eat by afternoon!

Annie

Annie

o

I'm so jealous - my Meyer lemons look like this. My office smells really good though!

o

Annie, my anniversary is Feb 8. I'm making this because my kitchen will be demolished on March 1 to be totally updated about 2 weeks later. That's going to be a tough 2 weeks--I cook! I'll have the microwave (like I know what to do with that!), a rice cooker and the grill. Oh, the coffee pot will work and the fridge will be working too. I'm going to get a dishpan so we can wash pots, but we'll use paper plates and plastic for eating. I'm so not looking forward to this, but the end result should be beautiful!

o

Beachlily, I'm excited to see your new kitchen, I can't wait to see that new countertop installed!

This cake would be a great use of that lemon juice in the freezer. Oh, and happy birthday to the hubs!

Good luck with the rice cooker/microwave/grill kitchen. (grin)

Annie

o

Annie, that looks so tempting. I have plenty of meyer lemons juice in the freezer. I'm going to keep the recipe to make one as soon as I have a little time.

Malna, I can smell the blossoms!

Dcarch, if you plan to grow Meyer lemon tree, buy the dwarf kind. My neighbor has 2 trees on the ground and they're about 6-7 feet tall. It's easier to pick the fruits when they're short. When they're in season, I pick from her trees, juice them and freeze the juice to use it year round.

I have 2 growing in containers but they're not doing too well. Part of the reason is I haven't really taking care of them as I should. I really should put them in the ground and allow them to grow freely as they should.

Due to its low acidity level, Meyer lemons is the only lime/lemon that I can consume without getting an upset stomach. Ever since I found out about Meyer lemons, I've been able to enjoy lemonade and anything that calls out for lemons/lime. It's a wonderful fruit.

o

Okay, I just bought some yesterday from Central Market. They are quite soft. I hope that's not a bad thing. They don't look wrinkled. I'm going to try this cake this weekend.

Annie, it's your fault (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that I'm sabotaging Jerry's diet. I can't help myself. He shouldn't go on a diet in the winter time, when it's cool enough to bake.

Sallyu

o

That cake looks delicious! !
I can almost imagine how delicious and refreshing
It would be on a hot summer day.

Ever since I first read about Meyer lemons on this forum,
I have watched the stores here for them.
No luck at all.

Yesterday I was in the store,
They had "Texas Valley Lemons",
which are pretty common around here this time of year.
I've never bought any, Because they never look very good.
BUT! ! !
Lo and behold!
In small letters,
Under the name "Valley Lemons" it said "Meyer Lemons".
I've never seen that before!

They really don't look very good,
But they are shaped like those in the pictures
Ya'll post here.
I bought a couple to try,
(Hopefully today.)
In the Lemon blueberry muffin recipe
Annie posted a few days ago.

I'm definitely saving this cake recipe to try later on!

Rusty

o

ntt_hou "---Dcarch, if you plan to grow Meyer lemon tree, buy the dwarf kind. --- "

I will be buying grafted dwarf kind for a container so that I can bring it inside in the winter.

Interesting that people are selling Meyer lemon seeds on eBay $1 to $2 each seed and pople are buying them. If Meyer lemon is a hybrid, the seeds may not come true.

BTW, to you all:

When I use Meyer Lemon, often I don't zest. I simply remote the seeds and put the whole lemon in the blender. Seems to work very well.

dcarch

o

That is gorgeous, and I just picked up a box of Meyer lemons from Costco. Was thinking preserved lemons, but I think I could spare a couple for this. Thanks.

jkom51, thanks...I'll check the citrus forum. I've been thinking I need a Meyer lemon tree, but not sure what to get, or if my greenhouse/porch has the right conditions.

o

double thanks from me jkom51, I'll be looking for meyermike since I've killed 2 Meyer lemons so far am am planning on giving a third a try when the weather warms up enough to order one.

o

I too found some Meyer lemons sold at our local Walmart. Their price was $1.50/lb. bag. There were 4 lemons in a bag.

o

Oh, bummer, I just printed out the recipe and read it carefully, noticed it calls for gelatin. I don't do gelatin. Is there a way around this? Maybe use whipped egg whites instead? It uses lots of egg yolks. Any ideas?

Sally

o

Sally, use agar agar. It's a vegetable gelatin.

dcarch

o

Mmmm, I love lemon anything, Lemon cake is my favorite. It looks scrumptious and I bet tastes as great as it looks! NancyLouise

o

Great, Dcarch. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here