Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a good adjustable cheese slicer?

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 23:07

A gadget, not a knife. I've got one that looks like the the one in the link. It works just fine. I think I've had it since before I married, so it must be over 40 years old. I'm just looking for a backup. I have no idea where I got the one I'm currently using, and there are no distinguishing brand name markings on it either. Perhaps there's something better out there, so if you've got a good slicer, could you tell me about it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable cheese slicer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a good adjustable cheese slicer?

Saw this one on Amazon - looks like yours only newer LOL. They also have others that have the adjustments on the wire ends, not on the handle, same principle, different design.
Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable Cheese Slicer

o

If you have a kitchen gadget store in the mall, they should have one like the one on Amazon. I have one similar to that and I got it at the mall kitchen gadget store. If you live near an outlet mall, those stores with kitchen stuff also have them. They aren't that hard to find. I bet even Bed Bath and Beyond has them, don't forget your coupon! ;)

o

It is not surprising that I use tools for tasks which they are not intended for.

I use a carpenter's wood plane to slice/peel cheese. It is adjustable and can shave the thinnest slivers of cheese.

dcarch

o

I generally use a vegetable peeler for slicing cheese (small pieces only), or else a mandolin or my electric meat slicer, which is the most adjustable, although the reviews say that one is not supposed to use it for that. It does put some noticeable stress on the motor, but I never slice that much at one time. I buy Provolone and Swiss cheeses already sliced, if I want it for sandwiches.

Lars

o

DC, the idea of a wood plane actually sounds intriguing. Does it hold up to washing? Lars, I'm going to give the vegetable peeler idea a try. I'm with you about buying pre-sliced Swiss & Provolone. Actually, I buy the sliced Swiss for sandwiches and then use my food processor to shred a block of Swiss that I keep in the freezer. When I use grated cheese, I combine the naturally low sodium Swiss with Cheddar or Mozzarella. However, if I use fresh mozz, it's so low in sodium that I don't have to combine it with anything else.

Thanks for your ideas. Maybe a trip to Bed, Bath, & Beyond is on the agenda. Otherwise, I could order the one from Amazon.

o

Shambo, a wood plane can shave very thin cheese, thinner than paper, very interesting for garnishing presentation.

You can also use it to shave frozen meat, for whatever recipes you can think of (beef carpaccio?).

The only thing to consider is this, you have to clean and dry the plane immediately because the blade can rust.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 10:54

o

dcarch--
Intrigued, I checked Amazon for wood planes. For some reason, my husband, who has several, will not give me one to cut cheese. The look on his face was priceless!!

I have no idea which one or what kind would work best.
What style? How wide?

Not sure I'm tempted, but I am curious.

Any further info or suggestions?

o

Here are pictures of what can a wood worker's plane do.

You can shave very thin (adjustable) slivers of cheese,

And you can shave meat to transparent thin, which is great for tough cuts of meat.

dcarch

photo plane.jpg

photo plane2.jpg

o

Re: woodworker's plane; dcarch neglected to mention that he was using a Block plane (if you want to know what to ask for). Fortunately, they are less expensive than jack planes, which are the longer wider ones. However, I think if you have a mandolin, you could stick with it and not have to worry about cleaning and quickly drying the blade and sole (the base).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here