Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite recipe for wings?

Posted by goldgirl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 22:57

Would anyone care to share their favorite way to make wings? I'll probably make two types for Super Bowl so am trying to narrow it down. Will be feeding a mix of adults and teens.

Thanks!

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite recipe for wings?

I parboiled the wings then roasted at high heat. Mixed Franks sauce with butter for an exceptional batch.

Jo

o

I lived in Western New York for many years, where the only question is "how hot do you want them?", not "do you want Buffalo wings?". In Western New York, Buffalo wings are the only wings. Around here you have to specify Buffalo wings or you will get who-knows-what.

The original recipe is ultra simple. So simple that many cooks have felt the need to gild the lily in many ways and the original, which used to be printed on the Frank's Hot Sauce label, has become pretty much impossible to find.

Chicken wings are deep fried (the usual restaurant method) or baked (usually an easier method at home which works fine) until well browned and skin is crisp. The wings are tossed in a bowl with the sauce, which is simply a mixture of Frank's Hot Sauce and melted margarine or butter, The ratio of hot sauce to margarine or butter is about 50/50 if memory serves. Hotness can be adjusted from mild to extra hot by changing the ratio and by coating the wings more than once.

To my taste there is nothing better than the original -- extra hot.

Jim

This post was edited by jimster on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 0:10

o

We make our wings similar to Jim's. WHile the wings are baking we make the simple sauce. Melt a stick of butter in saucepan. We use Texas Pete for our hot sauce. Mix it in with the melted butter. Put the wings into a bowl, add the sauce mixture and toss to coat. Have celery sticks with blu cheese dressing(wayne makes this)for dipping. Easy. NancyLouise

o

10 wing pieces
1T cajun seasoning
1T flour
1/2 T corn starch

Put it all in a bag, shake it, and then on a cookie sheet. 425 for 12 minutes, flip them and it's 12 minutes more.

That's it! No fat or fried... we call them "dry rub", but really it just means they don't have any sauce on them to make your fingers all messy.

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 8:00

o

I toss them with seasoned flour too... cajun seasoning and a little extra cayenne. And bake them at 450 for 30 min then broil to crisp... toss them with hot sauce/butter.

o

Since you want more than one kind, you could go traditional like above & try something different like the raspberry wings - use the search engine here for the recipe.

o

For a non-Buffalo style you might consider teriyaki.

Jim

o

We like teriyaki/sweet chili wings.

Di

o

Shaun used to post here. Her wing recipe is terrific!

Chicken Wings
posted by Shaun

1/3 Cup salt
1/3 Cup paprika
1/8 Cups cayenne pepper
2 Cups flour
Chicken Wings

Mix breading ingredients together in a ziplock bag.~
Pat wings dry. Shake in mixture.~
Spray cookie sheet w/Pam, put chicken on, spray top of chicken w/Pam
Bake 375 - 40 mins flipping over half way thru.
Note: I cook at 450 for about 30 minutes flipping half way
Does about 8 pounds

Linda C's raspberry wings are fabulous, too!

Raspberry Wings
Posted by Linda C 12/10

1-1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
1/3 c balsamic vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pkg (5 lb) frozen chicken wings, thawed

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, except the wings, over medium heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, toss
the wings with half of the jam mixture. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 50 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with the remaining jam mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the
chicken and the sauce glazes the wings. Serve immediately.

NOTE: If you substitute boneless, skinless chicken tenders for the wings, just reduce the baking time to about 15 minutes. And, for a change, you might even want to try this with apricot jam instead of raspberry.
Serves: 4 to 6

Linda

o

Thanks for the recipes! As everyone knows, the search function here is awful, which is why I was asking folks to post their favorites. Whichever ones I don't make this time around, I'll make later!

DH wants traditional hot wings, but I prefer something a little different.

Sue

o

I love when folk ask for recipes rather than using the boring, impersonal search function. It brings new recipes forward and reminds us of old favorites. Must admit I miss the days when mostly we talked about our favorite recipes.

As far as wing recipes go...Shaun's is by far and away my favorite recipe with a selection of sauces on the side. Thanks Shaun , I'll be serving them Sunday for Super Bowl!

o

My approach:

Steam wings to cook through and render out some of the fat, about 45 min
Pat dry w/ paper towels, dust w/ a little flour to dry further
Roast until browned and crisp
While wings are still hot, toss in a large bowl with mix of melted butter, hot sauce, salt and pepper
Serve quickly for most crispness

This is stolen from an Alton Brown show

o

Thanks, all! I went with the Shaun and LindaC recipes, and both were big hits with adults and kids. Oddly, I'm not usually a fan of Buffalo-style wings, as I mentioned above, but really enjoyed Shaun's. Think I'll sub some Old Bay next time, as I prefer that over traditional seasoning.

My only issue is that I'm terrible at splitting the wings up with a knife. I know you feel for the joints, and I've even watched the various YouTube videos, but I just don't seem to have the magic touch for butchering!

o

Well I suppose you could forego the butchering and serve them whole (see dcarch's thread) but that might turn them into a two-handed operation to eat. I seem to have the tips down pat, but I'm not 100% accurate between the drumette and wingette. When I miss I don't stress too much, I just make sure I'm not leaving small nubs of bone or cartilage behind.

As I type, I'm stuffed on wings marinated for an hour or so in lemon juice, then coated with lemon zest, peri peri seasoning and salt. (Change of venue for Superbowl so I never cooked them yesterday.) Pretty good, but not to the standards of a "publishable favorite" yet!

o

Sorry goldgirl, I didn't mean to come across as lazy or rude. As soon as I started typing a response, someone came to pick me up, & I was going to be gone the rest of the day. You asked for something different, & I had made the raspberry wings last month & thought they were very good. I hadn't saved the recipe, but had found it by googling garden web cooking forum raspberry chicken wings & it came right up, so that was why I suggested it. Glad you got the recipe & they worked out well.

o

Quick way to snip those wings into pieces? Scissors work a thousand times better than a knife for me. If anyone else was wondering about that part...

:)

And I agree with Chase. I was going to try Sue's Roadhouse Ribs and never got around to it. Until someone posted about it last week. We had those this weekend. Oh my goodness. Great stuff! Post away y'all, all the more to copy and paste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here