Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on AGA cookers?

Posted by jojoco (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 22:51

I've lusted over these stoves for nearly two decades. I'm considering getting one for a milestone birthday gift to myself. I've heard mixed reviews. Part of the attraction for me, besides the beautiful cast iron enamel the exterior, is the constantly lit ovens. I live in upstate New York, in a vintage home, and would love something that would keep my kitchen warm in the colder months i.e. every month except June July and August.

Any first hand experience?

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on AGA cookers?

No first hand experience.

If you like the look, go for it. I don't think heating up the house should be a consideration. There are many better and cheaper ways to heat the house.

Make sure your kitchen floor structure can support the weight. regular oven is about 250 to 300 lbs. An AGA can be 1000 to 1800 lbs.

dcarch

o

Anyone who buys an aga has to take into consideration the residual heat output. In some climates it might be a huge negative. For me, it would be a plus (windchill was -29 yesterday.)

But beauty and heat aside, it has to be a cooking/baking workhorse first.

My house can handle the extra weight. 1920's arts and craft style. The kitchen was a later addition, and has a newer foundation.

o

Was brought up cooking on one. Love them. but, unless your kitchen is cool in the supper, you'll need an alternative for the hot weather. They're great for warming your clothes on on a cold morning too!

o

They seem to me to be a terrible waste of energy. Who needs a constantly hot oven?

o

Bulldinkie who posts here has one. Hopefully she'll chime in as well.

o

"-----But beauty and heat aside, it has to be a cooking/baking workhorse first.---"

I am sure that it can do all the above.

You just have to get used to it's personalities and baking in ovens with no view windows.

dcarch

o

I never even thought of them not having windows! I keep thinking there's something missing when I see pictures of them. LOL

Ohhhh I sure use my window when baking!

o

I HAVE ONE.I HAVE THE 4 oven,black.yes it's heavy,we put a concrete slab under ours.they are to last for many,many years.I've had mine over 20 years now..they are made to run cheaper now,some you can turn off.we use grill,griddle,plus I have another stove for ouR FAmily reunionsIN SUMMER TIME,ONLY HOTTEST DAYS.YOU CAN TURN IITDOWN IT HAS A CONTROL.LOVE IT FOR LIKE THANSGIVING YOU GET DINNER ALL READY MOVE IT TO OVEN NEEDED KEEP WARM.COMPANY COMES DINNER IS ALL READY.WARMS,DRIES GLOVES,BOOTS.DO CRAFTS DRYINGTHINGS IN LOW OVEN.

o

WHO NEEDS WINDOWS,YOUCANT TELL BY the smELL WHEN ABOUT SOMETHINGS READY.IVEBEEN COOKING FOR 43 years.I don't need WINDOWS.

o

Also make sure you are aware of the size of the AGA ovens. They can be much smaller (less than half ) than what you are use to.

I hope I am not trying to be negative, it may be a good idea to find out how you can get service and where to get replacement parts,

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 21:13

o

Have you read this old GW post?

Here is a link that might be useful: Old

o

They have a 2 oven and a 4 but they have newer models now you can turn off etc.we had something put in ours to run more efficient but be darned if I can remember what its called,just do your research ,Theres no special learning to cpookyou get it going on top then put in the oven for awhile.Mine has 2 big burners on top you can boil water in thile 5 secs. then another for pancakes or frying whatever.and a big warming tray,nice,I use that a lot for crafts etc.Then the ovens one is really hot for baking roasts etc another little cooler then warming oven,and a simmer oven,for like soups ,crockpot type think,controls are in the front.Youll find many others uses for it,my jack looks like shes doing yoga she stands in front with her hiney almost touching stove.Its cute.When she comes in from outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here