Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate to ask but..I need help

Posted by indy452 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 22:44

I rarely log in here but do enjoy reading some of the posts here.

I eat or try my darndest to eat what some call the "paleo" diet...I prefer not to say "diet" but rather just "lifestyle change" instead. Trying to make myself and my family aware of all the sugar and gluten we consume on a daily basis is all really....its a lot believe me.

With that said my wife has a special birthday coming up early next month and I'd like to prepare a special dessert but I'm kinda limited without going off the plan here.

She likes chocolate stuff so I thought I would ask around to try to find a nice dessert that is gluten and sugar free..or at least the traditional kind of sugar such as granulated and brown etc...We can use coconut sugar, honey and some agave but we tend to stay away from agave. Anybody have any recipes they are willing to share?

Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate to ask but..I need help

Hi indy452: I did a search for "gluten free dessert" in Pinterest, and it pop up lots of recipes, many yummy chocolate ones. Click on link below, when you see a picture you like, click on it 2 subsequent times to get the full-recipe.

In Pinterest, when you see a lot of hearts, or push-pins on the border of the picture, it means a well-tested recipe. Good luck in finding a good recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gluten free dessert in Pinterest

o

I'm not so good at the sugar free thing, but I have a couple of celiacs in the family, and am getting better at the gluten free requirements.

It's not chocolate, but my Aunt greatly enjoyed this honey cake:

FLOURLESS HONEY ALMOND CAKE

From EatingWell: March/April 2009

Honey and almonds flavor this simple (and gluten-free) cake. It's lovely for afternoon tea or a spring holiday dessert. Be careful not to overbeat the egg whites, they should be white and very foamy, but not at all stiff or able to hold peaks. If you beat them too much, the cake may sink in the middle as it cools.

Ingredients

Cake
•1 1/2 cups whole almonds, toasted (see Tip)
•4 large eggs, at room temperature (see Tip), separated
•1/2 cup honey
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping
•2 tablespoons honey
•1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)

Preparation
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
2.Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground (you will have about 13/4 cups ground). Beat 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
3.Beat 4 egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
4.Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
5.If desired, remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. To serve, drizzle the top of the cake with honey and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Nutrition Per serving : 234 Calories; 14 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 8 g Mono; 85 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Carbohydrates; 8 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 208 mg Sodium; 54 mg Potassium

OK, here's my stab at a chocolate dessert. I don't know but I think the coconut sugar might be a very nice addition in place of the very small amount of white sugar. I'm only assuming that you can get a dark chocolate bar that would meet your specifications?

CHAI CHOCOLATE POTS DE CREME

From EatingWell: January/February 2007

The haunting, subtle flavor of chai spices adds depth and richness to these elegant French baked custards. You could use the leftover egg whites to make meringues.

8 servings : Active Time: 40 minutes : Total Time: 5 hours (including 3 hours chilling time)

Ingredients

•2/3 cup whipping cream
•2 1/2 teaspoons crushed cardamom pods, or 1 teaspoon bruised cardamom seeds (see Tip)
•7 whole cloves
•4 slices peeled fresh ginger
•4 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (see Tip), finely chopped
•1 1/4 cups reduced-fat milk
•3 tablespoons sugar
•1 large egg
•3 large egg yolks
•Whipped cream for garnish, (optional)
•Crystallized ginger for garnish, (optional)

Preparation
1.Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 325°F. Lay a double thickness of paper towels in a baking pan large enough to comfortably hold eight 4- to 6-ounce heatproof custard cups or ramekins. Set the cups in the pan (the paper towels will keep them in place).
2.Heat cream, cardamom, cloves and ginger in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the mixture just comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Place chocolate in a 4-cup glass measure. Return the cream to medium-high heat and reheat to boiling. Immediately pour through a very fine sieve set over the chocolate, pressing down on the spices to extract as much flavor as possible; don't stir the chocolate. Let stand for 3 minutes, then gently stir until the chocolate completely melts and the mixture is well blended and smooth. (If the chocolate is not completely melted, microwave it for 20 to 30 seconds on High, then stir.)
3.Wipe out the saucepan, add milk and sugar, and heat just to boiling, stirring until the sugar dissolves. In a slow, thin stream, gradually stir about two-thirds of the boiling milk into the chocolate. If the mixture looks separated at any point, stop adding milk and stir the chocolate until it is smooth again before continuing.
4.Whisk egg, egg yolks and vanilla in a small bowl until well blended. While constantly whisking the egg mixture, add the remaining milk in a slow, thin stream. Strain the egg-milk mixture through a fine sieve into the chocolate mixture; stir well to combine. Evenly divide among the custard cups, about 1/4 cup each.
5.Place the pan on the low oven rack. Add enough very hot tap water to come 3/4 inch up the sides of the cups. Bake until the tops appear barely set when the cups are jiggled, 16 to 20 minutes; don't tap the tops as this will mar the surface.
6.Transfer the cups to a wire rack. Let cool thoroughly, about 1 hour. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. Let warm up just slightly before serving. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a small piece of crystallized ginger (if desired).

Nutrition Per serving : 204 Calories; 15 g Fat; 8 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 132 mg Cholesterol; 17 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 36 mg Sodium; 87 mg Potassium

Tips & Notes
•Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. : Equipment: Eight 4- to 6-ounce glass custard cups or similar ramekins
•Tips: You can use either whole cardamom pods or the peppercorn-size seeds for this recipe. Crush or bruise the seeds with the side of a chef's knife or a heavy-bottomed pan to help release the flavor. If necessary, substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom; the flavor will be fine, but the texture will be a little less silky.
• Almost any semisweet or bittersweet chocolate will work in this recipe, although if you choose an extra-bittersweet one with more than a 65% cacao content, reduce the chocolate to 4 ounces and increase the sugar to 1/4 cup.

I like the chai spices with the chocolate and truthfully, I like the darker chocolate without the addition of extra sugar, so I'd say sweeten it to taste.

This is one that's in my "to try" file, it does use your coconut sugar, has no gluten and uses cocoa in place of a chocolate bar. I've not tried it because I have no experience with coconut sugar.

GRAIN FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH HONEYED RICOTTA

Yield: 1 (8-inch) cake; 8 - 10 servings

A light and flavorful gluten-free, refined sugar-free chocolate cake made with almond flour. Adapted from Annie Bell's Gorgeous Cakes.

For the Chocolate Cake:

•4 large eggs, separated
•2/3 cup powdered coconut palm sugar
•2 1/4 cups almond flour
•3 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa powder
•1 teaspoon baking powder

For the Honeyed Ricotta:

•3 cups low-fat ricotta
•1/4 cup honey
•pinch of kosher salt

For the Topping:
•1/4 cup grated carob or refined sugar-free chocolate

Instructions

Make the Chocolate Cake:
1.Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan.
2.In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks and powdered coconut palm sugar until pale and creamy.
3.Sift together the almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
4.In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites to medium peaks.
5.Stir 1/4 of the whipped egg whites directly into the egg yolk mixture. Fold the remaining egg whites into the yolks in two to three additions.
6.Fold the almond mixture into the egg mixture in three additions.
7.Transfer the batter into the prepared springform pan.
8.Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until the center of the cake is set and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9.Run an offset spatula around the edges of the cake. Allow to cool completely in the pan.

Make the Honeyed Ricotta:
10.Combine the ricotta, honey, vanilla, and salt.
11.Refrigerate until ready to use.

Assemble the Cake:
12.Use a sharp, serrated knife to slice a paper thin layer off the top of the cake. This will let the moisture from the ricotta soak into the cake.
13.Cut the cake in half, being careful to keep the layers even.
14.Spread half of the ricotta mixture on the bottom layer of the cake.
15.Place the top layer on top of the ricotta. Spread the remaining ricotta on top of the cake.
16.Top with grated carob or refined sugar-free chocolate.
17.Cover and refrigerate overnight.
18.Bring to room temperature before serving.

Good luck and happy birthday to your wife.

Annie

o

Check out Elana Amsterdam's web site- Elana's Pantry (link below). She has a new paleo book out with some paleo recipes posted at her web site; and many of her recipes in "The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" published in 2009 may also work.

She often uses agave nectar, but you can usually use coconut nectar as a substitute for agave. If you don't have any coconut nectar, you can do what I do, make it with coconut sugar (aka palm sugar or coconut palm sugar) AND save some money.

1-1/2 c. coconut sugar
1/2 c. water
Heat over very low heat until dissolved. Store it in the refrigerator.

You should also check out coconut flour recipes.
http://paleomg.com/tag/coconut-flour/

Hubby makes paleo/gluten-free "crumb brownies" (we save the crumbs from broken slices of bread or the ends/heels of paleo-type breads and he makes "crumb brownies" and tops it with Coconut Pecan Filling/Frosting as a substitute for German Chocolate Cake he made every birthday before we went gluten-free.

Coconut-Pecan Filling/Frosting
(enough for an 8-inch pan)

Stir together in a small sauce pan:
1/4 c. half & half (or nut milk - such as almond)
1/4 c. agave nectar (or coconut nectar)
1/4 c. butter
1 egg yolk
Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 12-minutes OR until thicken and golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in:
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Cool to room temperature and frost cake or brownie.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Elana's Pantry

This post was edited by grainlady on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 6:39

o

You are actually asking something i often ask myself. I've been looking for something for
my Superbowl menu. We only use sugars from berries, fruit tarts, but always add a bit of dark chocolate tucked in around the crostata edge. So fruit, nuts, chocolate, and coffee are the ingredients we look for.
This time of year, deep freeze and snow, i was looking for a molten lava cake.
I'll link it below but have not tried it.

The only sugar i have right now is Madhava coconut brown. Nice and nutty. And good maple syrup. I do have Agave but just can't stand the taste. Can't figure out why. Smells like vintage plastic? Old Barbie doll? Vintage '62? Not that i ate barbie as a child but something is odd about Agave.
(and what a drag that i bought it at Costco, 2 giant things....i should drop it by the senior center)

I've been wanting to try a green tea ice cream using coconut milk. Maybe a black bean choc cookie and make ice cream sandwiches...

Here is a link that might be useful: choc molten lava cake

o

I know all about baking gluten-free, but had to look up paleo. :p

Do this google search: "paleo chocolate dessert"
The top several hits are sites with lists of desserts that apparently fit the paleo constraints... hopefully some will be chocolate and something your wife would like.

o

Thanks....My goal was to find something tried and true as I've made some pretty weird recipes that really didn't turn out that well w/out severe mods...You know...the kinds of recipes that make you go....wth were they thinking. Working with almond and coconut,tapioca flour is sooo much different than regular ole wheat flour.

I'll see what I can find...

o

Make chocolate ganache - just melt chocolate into an equal amount of cream and put in the bottom of a serving dishes. Get hold of a syphon whipper and make an orange cream by heating 150ml cream and 5 tbls milk gently along with the juice of an orange and the zest in strips and allow to infuse. Beat 2 egg yolks with 2 tbls sugar until sugar dissolves. Add the warm cream to the eggs then return to the pan and cook gently until it coats the back of a spoon. Cool, pass in a fine seive then pour into syphon, add gas and cool in fridge until ready to serve on top of ganache. Chocolate and orange - marriage made in heaven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here