SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

OT - update on floods in Australia

Daisyduckworth
13 years ago

I've had a few emails from concerned people asking about my safety with all these floods in Queensland and NSW, Australia.

First, be assured that I'm OK, and likely to remain that way - although I'm touching wood as I type, because these current floods are unprecendented and nobody knows what surprises are in store for us.

Dozens of entire towns have been evacuated, and today there is saturation (pun not intended) coverage on all TV channels, with frequent updates and warnings. Brisbane itself is expecting record-breaking flooding within the next 1-3 days, and within the last hour, residents in several suburbs have been told NOT to try to sandbag their houses or back their bags - but to GET OUT NOW! The river is rising at an alarming rate.

In Toomwoomba, 2 hours to the south-west (and in the mountains!!) suffered what they are calling an 'inland tsunami' overnight with water rushing at such a speed that it tossed large vehicles around like toys, and knocked down large buildings. The devastation has to be seen to be believed.

And STILL the rain falls. Noah had it lucky with only 40 days and 40 nights - we've had it for much longer than that, and no break in sight.

Death toll at present is 8, with 72 people missing. We are assured that these numbers will rise.

I'm not in need of assistance, but I have no compunction in asking that some of you might consider donating to the Queensland flood appeal. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queensland flood appeal

Comments (28)