Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thick Pork Chops

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 22:12

I purchased thick center cut pork chops from CostCo. I followed the recipe in the link below. The crust was very good and they looked good too, but the center was pretty bland. Perhaps thinner chops would have worked better with this recipe? Perhaps brining them would have helped? Perhaps a different recipe/cooking method would be better for these thick chops?

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Breaded Pork Chops

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thick Pork Chops

When my pork chops are thick I split them open and stuff them.

o

Well don't stop there BullDinkie! Give me a recipe! :-)

o

Brining will definitely help considerably.
Fry in a hot cast iron skillet, sear both sides nicely and pull off just 'Before" they are done and wrap in foil and let them finish cooking while resting.
I dont bread them, just use pepper if they are brined.

o

Jeri, my husband buys these all the time and I have a love-hate relationship with them for the reasons you state! I don't have any real recipes, but I'll share some tips I use that seem to help.

First, I try to remember to brine them the night before. If I miss that window, I try to do it first thing in the morning. I've found even a few hours helps, worst case scenario.

I trim the chops and put them in a gallon ziplock baggie. I almost always add milk (enough to cover the chops). Then I usually add some seasonings...typically, tobasco or cholula, garlic, cayenne, etc. Shake up the baggie really good and put in the fridge until I'm ready to cook. I find taking them out of the fridge and spreading them out about a1/2hr before I start cooking helps me keep from overcooking them. I cook them almost like the recipe you linked.

Sometimes, I'll add Dijon mustard and stay away from the Cajun-type seasoning. Sometimes, I end up with a hodge-podge of seasonings. Sometimes, I just use milk and minced garlic. Hope that helps!

o

If you have a sausage stuffer, and if you feel like making a bit of a project out of it, it's nice to make a sausage stuffing and stuff the pork chops with it. The key is to use a thin knife so all you're making on the outside is a small hole, and then cut a cavity within a half inch or so of the edges all around.

See the attached recipe for the basic idea. I wasn't crazy about that particular combination of flavors but you can tweak it however you want. Even after 45 minutes plus on the BBQ (I don't have a good thermometer on my grill, but I'm guessing I do it lower than 375) it's still nice and moist.

You've gotta be hungry to polish one of these off!

editing to add that boneless pork ribs seem to have a good ratio of fat for the stuffing.

This post was edited by foodonastump on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 7:01

o

I'd cut them into cubes and use for a casserole or stew. I made this one last week and served it over egg noodles.

PORK & CARROT CASSEROLE

2 Tbs. salad oil
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. pork pieces, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 large carrots, peeled
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped celery leaves
1 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. dry red wine
1 tsp. salt (or less to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper

In skillet over high heat, brown pork cubes in oil, stirring frequently. With slotted spoon, remove meat to 1 1/2 qt. casserole.

Meanwhile, cut each carrot crosswise into thirds, then lengthwise into thin slices. Cut onion in half crosswise, then lengthwise into thin slices.

Preheat over to 350. In drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook carrots and onions until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Pour sauce into casserole with meat, stirring to mix. Cover casserole and bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until meat is tender.

o

I presalt pork chops and then grill them. The thicker the better.

Presalt a day a head if possible. Otherwise just presalt in the morning. Rub with your favourite rub. I use fresh garlic, sage or rosemary, and lots of black pepper. Or spice them up with garlic, pepper and cayenne pepper. Or Greek style with garlic, oregano and lemon.

o

I scrolled to the bottom of the thread to suggest pre-salting, but ann_t beat me to it. Use 1/2-3/4 tsp of salt per pound at least a few hours in advance.

o

Oh, man, I'm drooling at my keyboard, ann. That looks fabulous!

o

I agree - that does look fabulous Ann! I will try salting them instead of brining - salting my Christmas Roast a couple of days in advance really worked well. Do you rinse the salt off the chops before cooking like you would a brine? I didn't rinse my roast, so I'm guessing no...

You also used bone-in chops and I know bones add flavor. Would you still use the same method for boneless?

I would also like to thank everyone else - lots of good ideas to try. :-)

Could I also cut them in half - making two thin chops - and use the breading / frying method?

o

Jeri, No, you shouldn't have to rinse off the salt. I presalt most roasts and all chickens/turkeys. There is never any visible salt. I usually try to presalt in advance and have time to let the meat air dry in the fridge before roasting/grilling. If you don't have time for the air drying, just make sure you pat the meat dry. But you do not need to rinse.

And yes, you could do the same with boneless chops.

~Ann

o

Here is a killer recipe for stuffed chops that calls for the thick cut ones. They're delicious and super easy!

Stuffed Pork Chops
From Food Network-the Neely�s

1/2 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 quarts water
4 (2-inch thick) pork chops, bone-in rib loin chops, split to bone
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 stalks celery, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage leaves
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
2 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk salt and sugars in 2-quarts of cold water. Add pork chops and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the pork chops from the brine and dry well.

In a large heavy bottomed saute pan, begin to fry bacon. Add celery, onion and garlic to pan and allow to saute with the crispy bacon. Add rosemary, sage and parsley after bacon has cooked for 8 to 10 minutes. Saute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl add cornbread, dried cranberries and chicken stock. Stir in the cooked vegetable mixture. Mix well.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Stuff the chop with about 1/2 cup of stuffing. Use toothpicks to help seal the chops. Grill the chops for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Internal temperature should be 145 degrees F. Allow chop to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

My notes: These are fabulous! Cook over low grill flame to insure they get cooked all the way through. I would also cut the salt in the brine down to maybe 1/4-1/3 cup.

Linda

o

Pork stuffed with prunes and apricots is very good. It is normally made by butterflying a loin, spreading the fruit, rolling it up and trussing with string. However, the same combination of ingredients has been used in stew and other preparations. I think stuffing the thick chops with prunes and apricots, seasoned with herbs, would work well.

Jim

o

Jim takes two thick chops, cuts deep pockets in both, trusses the two together with string with three layers of stuffing (mainly duxelles plus more breading) and roasts in the oven. Wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: duxelles

o

OOOh I love mushroom duxelles. I have a chicken breast recipe that has the duxelles just under the skin. I love the idea of stuffing pork chops with the same mixture. Thanks Sushipup.

Ann

o

(I am floored---I gave Ann a recipe? Whew, that makes my day/month/year!) ;-)

o

I'm addicted to pork chops with Annie's Habenera Gold jelly on them. I'm a salt freak and can eat them without any salt when properly jellied. Oh... vinegar, apricots, onions, and habeneras... just heaven. Google Annie's Habenera Gold for the jelly recipe.

: )
lyra

o

I usually cut those thick chops in half. I find that pork is so lean these days, there really isn't much flavour anyway. And there seems to be a very short window in the cooking process where it goes from uncooked to shoe leather.

o

Deleting duplicate post.

This post was edited by jimster on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 22:38

o

I like thick chops for braising. Long and low cooking will make them tender and aromatic ingredients in the sauce gives them flavor.

My usual preparation is to brown the chops well then braise them with lots of mirepoix and a little wine. At the end, a small can of tomato sauce is added to the pan to make a pasta sauce. The pasta sauce benefits from the pork which has been cooked in it and the pork benefits from the aromatic vegetables in which it was cooked. It's a win-win. You can play around with the sauce by adding calamata olives or other ingredients.

Jim

This post was edited by jimster on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 19:58

o

I just made thick pork chops for the first time. They were superb. I mixed 2 cups of milk with a tbs of salt and let them soak for a few hours in a zip loc bag in the fridge. When they were done, I dredged them in a flour/montreal steak seasoning mixture. Sauteed in a pan with olive oil and butter.

cut like butah.

jo

o

What I do is slice it open,butterfly,then I melt butter in fry pan saute onion,parsley,celery,bread torn apart,just till light brown.I stuff pork shop bake not too long since its split.If Im pushed for time I pour a jarred gravy over top oh my gosh...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here