SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Great Bran Muffin Recipe

shambo
13 years ago

I searched a long time for the "perfect" bran muffin recipe. I wanted something that resembled the Van de Kamps bakery bran muffins of my youth. Van de KampÂs was a bakery/restaurant chain in the greater Los Angeles area that also sold its products in local grocery stores. I have fond memories of munching all kinds of their baked goodies. But, believe it or not, my all time favorite was their bran muffins. Dark, moist, and slightly orange flavored. They had a perfect texture, not too dense and not at all dry. But several years ago Van de KampÂs was sold, and IÂve not been able to find a comparable bran muffin.

I like the bran muffins at Mimi's Cafe. Although they're not Van de KampÂs, they're pretty good. Dark & dense, fairly moist, with a great glaze. ItÂs served like a pineapple upside down cake so the glaze can drip down the sides of the huge muffin. I found a copycat recipe from The Recipe Link that tastes great. The glaze takes eating a bran muffin to an entirely new level of enjoyment. Instead of "ÂIÂve got to eat this for my health," itÂs "ÂI want to eat this for the yummy taste!"

I've been making them for quite a while, but just last week my husband brought home a couple of those giant 6-cup muffin tins. So I decided to make the muffins in those, thinking they'd turn out even more like the ones at Mimi's. They were great, even better than the smaller versions. They are moist & sweet because of the glaze, yet full of bran. Here's the recipe and the changes I made.

MIMIÂS RESTAURANT BRAN MUFFINS (Copycat Recipe)

Makes 12 muffins

1 cup flour

1 cup bran

4 tsp dry milk powder

1/4 tsp baking powder (I use a sodium-free baking powder)

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt (I omit)

1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1/4 cup dark corn syrup (Sometimes I use 2 T. corn syrup & 2 T. honey)

2 Tbsp molasses

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1/3 cup raisins

1/4 tsp grated orange zest (I use 1/2 tsp.)

1/2 cup water (Sometimes I use buttermilk & omit the milk powder)

Glaze:

3 Tbsp sugar

3 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed

3 Tbsp shortening (I use butter)

2 Tbsp corn syrup (I use 1 T. Each corn syrup & honey)

2 tsp water

ÂDistribute about 1 Tbsp glaze onto bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins with pastry brush.

ÂCombine flour, bran, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir well and set aside.

ÂMix together brown sugar, dark corn syrup, molasses, oil and egg in separate bowl until well blended.

ÂPuree raisins and orange zest with water in blender or food processor. Add to liquid ingredients.

ÂStir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened.

ÂFill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (I baked the large muffins for 25 mins. before checking them.)

ÂImmediately invert onto foil or wax paper to cool.

Comments (10)